Help me choose Android or WP7

Regular Usage:

1. Surfing - Great if i get opera mini working on it (Surfing on GPRS and Wifi)
2. Music - Need a decent music player.. not a audio freak, but something decent
3. Storage - 8GB minimum but more preferred
4. Apps support to keep me glued.. Some light games, nothing very graphic intensive but a 1Ghz proci looks like bare minimum these days

Occasional

1. Watching movies while traveling, dvdrips.. hence require close to 4 inch screen
2. Reading pdf (very rarely), need pdf support
3. GPS and offline Maps (very rarely)
Budget: around 12K, open to get from US via SnS

Please suggest... WP7 samsung focus would have been ideal choice but it does not support dvdrips formats (DivX,Xvid) and no opera mini.. want to hear from your experiences..

regards
neo

In the budget that you have mentioned.. A fulfilling Android Experience is somewhat difficult to achieve.. In fact, decent midrangers till ~15,000 have some features missing or have lag issues... To enjoy Android awesomeness in full glory (out of the box, I am not discussing aftermarket ROM's & kernels) you'll need to spend about ~18,000 or more...

At your budget, Samsung Focus in indeed your best option. DO NOT go for the Spice.. It has major issues, for the simple reason it is a rebranded Huawei and Huawei has a long way to go in terms of Mobile manufacturing...

Proper GPS software and all codecs not being supported is the only gripe with Focus.. But you could always use a video convertor..

I say go for the Focus..

Focus all the way. Damn, i love this phone. I dont miss android at all. The UI is amazing and extremely smooth. IE9 is a beast(even in my 2g connection) and i am pretty sure it is the best browser among smart phones. Music quality is very good. Level of integration of Facebook and Twitter in mango is unbelievable. u just dont need those two apps. Also, the inbuilt gmail is awesome. Not a lot of apps in the market though. Camera is very good and the display doesnt need any explanation other than its SAMOLED :) :)

neomustdie said:
3. HTC HD2 - dual boot.. wow.. any idea will HTC HD2 support Mango update.. now that hardware buttons are not required..??
HD2 has the complete Mango experience - Mango RTM 7720. There are some major issues with the drivers though- Multi touch is buggy and never works most of the time, terrible battery drain - 10 hours if you're luck and greenish pictures when you use the flash in camera mode. Other than that, the HD2 runs Mango perfectly!

Hardware buttons can be reconfigured and besides theres no problem with that as the Mango update has touch to capture image anyways.

Android is almost perfect on the HD2. It has pretty decent 2.3 roms... even CM7 and MIUI roms.

Just saw Windows 8 build conference live streaming.. the amount of integration they are building into windows eco-system including windows phone.. i am blown away..

My only grudge is codex support, which i think should come out eventually or need to get converted using Zune PC.. But apart from that and limited number of apps, i don't see any major downsides...

Planning to get Samsung Focus.. total VFM phone.. @10K ish... Do you guys suggest any other decent Windows Phone at around 15K max via SnS..

I want to buy a new phone.. New Samsung Focus from top rated seller are retailing @ $220.. Should i go for that..?? any guidance on how to get the same done would be helpful.. I have got SnS account, but dont know the procedure, where to get invoice for customs duty etc..

Regards

Jayant

Back