Help me decide among HTC HD2, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S

ahd

Adept
I am gonna buy either one of HTC HD2, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S these.
My requirements are

1. A Large Screen 3.7 or above (w/best readability in sunlight)
2. Camera w/ Autofocus and flash light. Camera should be able to capture photos with great details, and should not get pixelated and grainy at times. (For Flash light, I haven't used a cellphone before with a flashlight so i dont know if a flashlight on a cellphone is worth it or not. Please advice me)
3.Android OS 2.1+ only Primarily installed or Hacked installed should be Lag-free with all functions of the phone working.

More details for you to help me out in the decision......

I would go for Samsung galaxy S if the poor build quality of the phone can be protected by a proper shield/cover. And if the phone can be later hacked to run Android 3.0 without TouchWiz or even 2.2 Without Touch Wiz just the basic Android UI. Then also one important thing for me is the Camera on it, it doesnt have a flash light so how does the phone fair in low light condition or does it even matter for a phone to have a flashlight since basically all phones have a weak flashlight which doesnt lit the desired object too well.
Thats my understanding I haven't used a cellphone with a flash light just my guess.

Coming to HD2, I would get this instead if the phone isn't too bulky, screen isnt too dull compared to Samsung Galaxy S and Nexus One and turns out flash light is important. Also should be able to run hacked Android 2.1+ on this without Lag and with all the features of the phone working with the Android.

I would go for Nexus One if serious issues with Samsung Galaxy S and HD2. Hence Nexus One is my saviour.
I AM GONNA BUY IT TODAY ITSELF SO LET ME KNOW QUICKLY WHICH IS THE BEST ONE TO GO FOR...Waiting

Well i am in the same boat as yours, my primary concern is the camera and SNS features. I've decide to wait till the N8 is launched as it has a terrific camera with dual xenon flash and good enough features to keep me happy.

So if OS is not a concern and you can wait i'll say that it would be fruitful to let the N8 launch and put it in the fray too.

As someone else mentioned on the other thread, if you want android OS, buy an android phone. That made a lot of sense to me. Going by that logic, I'd say Samsung Galaxy S or Nexus one. Again, if media + gaming is something you'd fancy doing on your cell phone, go for Galaxy S, else if your priority is faster updates on OS, get the Nexus one. And you do intend to hack your cell phone (root etc.) all the lags on SGS will be gone. Check this video out..

YouTube - Test 2 Samsung Galaxy S, Captivate, I9000, Vibrant Lag fix test 2

Have you considered SE's Xperia X10. I've recently got mine and loving it so far. Although it has only Android 1.6 on it, SE is going to update it with 2.1 in september and most probably with 3.0 in January.

It's an 8MP camera with touch capture,autofocus,smile capture and is going to get 720p recording after 2.1 update.

It really is a great phone. Consider this too before making a final decision :)

Have you compared the screen with the SGS ? Plus is the flashlight A REAL FLASHLIGHT can it really lit the desired objects well enough for a grainy free picture ?

indresh88 said:
go 4 hd2.....you can flash wm 7 and also android on it...1ghz processor rocks on it.....when i am on my budget...i will definately buy hd2.....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Didnt get it, Whats that s'pose to mean ? Does any of the phones here have bad vibrator ?

malhotraraul said:
you forgot the vibrator quality dude :p

That was pretty smooth probably the way Android is meant to be. Thanks for the video. That technically answer one of my doubts i.e., can it be hacked/rooted/rom'd to run 2.2

Hellwrath said:
As someone else mentioned on the other thread, if you want android OS, buy an android phone. That made a lot of sense to me. Going by that logic, I'd say Samsung Galaxy S or Nexus one. Again, if media + gaming is something you'd fancy doing on your cell phone, go for Galaxy S, else if your priority is faster updates on OS, get the Nexus one. And you do intend to hack your cell phone (root etc.) all the lags on SGS will be gone. Check this video out..

YouTube - Test 2 Samsung Galaxy S, Captivate, I9000, Vibrant Lag fix test 2

ahd said:
That was pretty smooth probably the way Android is meant to be. Thanks for the video. That technically answer one of my doubts i.e., can it be hacked/rooted/rom'd to run 2.2

Yes, as far as I know it's one of the phones that can easily be rooted and the default ROM can be flashed back pretty easily. And, when cyanogenmod comes out for this phone, it's going to be really really awesome. And, someone on this forum is already trying 2.2 I guess, if not, wait for a couple of days, I'll be running it on 2.2 :D.

I bet you will! Cyanogen mod i have heard more about this, than any else but that didnt make a sense back then to me it was all greek :D
Hellwrath said:
Yes, as far as I know it's one of the phones that can easily be rooted and the default ROM can be flashed back pretty easily. And, when cyanogenmod comes out for this phone, it's going to be really really awesome. And, someone on this forum is already trying 2.2 I guess, if not, wait for a couple of days, I'll be running it on 2.2 :D.

I am gonna include Xperia X10 in the list, It has got everything that SGS has and also its better in sunlight compared to SGS YouTube - Galaxy S vs X10 vs Desire in direct sunlight, plus the LED Flash. Except the brilliancy of S-AMOLED and a little less Ram @ 384 MB.
So now smartphones ranked according to my preference, priority and likes.
Number 1. Samsug Galaxy S / Xperia X10
Number 2. HD2
Number 3. Nexus One.

ahd said:
I am gonna include Xperia X10 in the list, It has got everything that SGS has and also its better in sunlight compared to SGS YouTube - Galaxy S vs X10 vs Desire in direct sunlight, plus the LED Flash. Except the brilliancy of S-AMOLED and a little less Ram @ 384 MB.
So now smartphones ranked according to my preference, priority and likes.
Number 1. Samsug Galaxy S / Xperia X10
Number 2. HD2
Number 3. Nexus One.
X10 still runs 1.6 and does not have multi-touch! It's a hardware limitation, so no OS upgrade can fix the multi-touch part. And we don't know when the official 2.1 will be out for it. And I never liked the looks of it, so haven't researched about rooting, custom ROMs etc. Check out XDA developers forum, you might get some info on it.

OOPS! X10 is out of my list. Multi-Touch makes the touchscreen more intuitive and fun to use. Thanks

Hellwrath said:
X10 still runs 1.6 and does not have multi-touch! It's a hardware limitation, so no OS upgrade can fix the multi-touch part. And we don't know when the official 2.1 will be out for it. And I never liked the looks of it, so haven't researched about rooting, custom ROMs etc. Check out XDA developers forum, you might get some info on it.

Thanks for the Link. I guess i have done all my online research by now and would just wait for a few more Replies/pm's to pop up and would finally in the evening go and testdrive all the three above.

dinjo said:

ahd said:
Have you compared the screen with the SGS ?

The only real competition for Samsung's S-AMOLED display in Galaxy S is LG's high res IPS display used in iPhone 4 marketed by Apple as the Retina Display. The rest of LCD's and AMOLED's don't hold a candle before S-AMOLED. I would strongly recommend that you go and get a demo of the Galaxy S. S-AMOLED by it self would bias you against all of your other options.

As far as camera flashes goes the LED flashes aren't much use in darkness and their range is very short (Xenon flashes are better). You will notice noise in the photos taken in darkness even with LED flash ON. That said, LED flash is better than none.
SGS has the GPS fix issue as well as the I/O lag issue when accessing the SD card, the GPS issue will be fixed in the 2.2 firmware update next month and you can use the unofficial lag fix that is already out.
For protecting the phone you can buy the SGS along with GadgetShieldz for Samsung Galaxy S i9000 Covers,Screen Protectors,Skins,Cases,Shields | Full-Body Invisible Shields,Cases.

Thanks for the link, Man. Is it the best protective case that I can get ? I might wanna grab one which can protect the phone with a 4-5 feet drop. So is this is the one to get, If (Most certainly will) I get the Samsung Galaxy S ?

kreacher said:
As far as camera flashes goes the LED flashes aren't much use in darkness and their range is very short (Xenon flashes are better). You will notice noise in the photos taken in darkness even with LED flash ON. That said, LED flash is better than none.
SGS has the GPS fix issue as well as the I/O lag issue when accessing the SD card, the GPS issue will be fixed in the 2.2 firmware update next month and you can use the unofficial lag fix that is already out.
For protecting the phone you can buy the SGS along with GadgetShieldz for Samsung Galaxy S i9000 Covers,Screen Protectors,Skins,Cases,Shields | Full-Body Invisible Shields,Cases.

Any thoughts and Ideas about Samsung Galaxy S Pro.....Released Date in India Officially or Unofficially...Normal GSM SIM cards support ?

You can also check out the Motorola Milestone XT720 , has an 8MP Camera with Xenon flash . Although the processor runs at 720 Mhz but its an A8 only so it should be pretty decent . Priced @ 26k

havent read the whole thread but i was in same dilemma as you!
i loved some softwares and video playing ability of WM and Games and other softwares on android!!

i went for hd2

its the best phone till now
just reboot it and go into wm for movies and then start android to run all softwares etc
sunlight reading not great though

Thank you for all your help and recommendations but I went for Samsung Galaxy S cause Most of my primary requirements were nicely offered by this phone A large screen, Sunlight readibility, Android 2.1+ OS, I read some reviews citing the poor build quality of this phone but after speaking to some members on TE, they told me that they've already dropped their SGS couple of times without any damages plus the poor build quality is just so because it SO feels in hands but in reality it isn't and as a matter of fact its quite durable.

Lastly flash on a camera, I had never used before so I didn't know how weak it is on most of the phones, plus it tends to overexpose the photos a lot cause the distance between the Lens and camera on all the phones are so less, I easily overlooked that requirement considering the gorgeous one of a kind 4inch Super AMOLED display that this phone has to offer not to mention the phone is one of lightest and slimmest smartphones in market today.

However If Windows Phone 7 proves to be effective, I'll sell this and go for the Omnia (only If it comes with a Super AMOLED or anything better)

WP7 will have great enterprise and gaming support. I think everywhere else it will lag behind, and it'll take some time for it to come up. (Don't know.. just assuming)

The SGS should be a great phone for quite some time to come.. along with the Desire HD and Desire Z.

Back