Linux Help me getting back to Linux

subushady

Disciple
Hello everyone,
I was using Windows XP and Vista and was happy about that. But then the day came when I finally started using Linux.
My Journey Ubuntu 6 -> Fedora 6 -> Ubuntu 8 -> Ubuntu Ultimate edition
I was so happy with Utlimate Edition that I removed Windows and had only Linux in my lappy.
But then due to some reasons, I had to have windows installed :-( (i am doing MBA and had to install some tool)
Now I am not happy with Windows and want to switch back to only Linux.

1. Should I go for Mandriva 2008 or Ubuntu Ultimate Edition?
2. With Ultimate Edition, there was no need to install anyything as all the applications are built for Audio (mp3,etc), video (divx,etc), etc.
Is there is any issue with Ultimate Edition? (I did not face anything)

I am dying to get back to Linux :)

Thanks,
Subu.

You could go with either Mandriva 2008 or Ubuntu 8.04. IMHO, there is no real need to install an unoffical Ubuntu "ultimate" edition as Ubuntu will automatically ask to install the codecs (divx, mp3, xvid) etc, the first time you try to play an audio/video file. From what I can tell, most TE members are big fans of Mandriva and openSUSE and they are nice enough to help you out with any showstopping issues you might have. Personally I use Ubuntu since everything just works for me, but you might want to experiment a bit and decide for yourself.

Also if you have a tool that requires Windows XP to run and you have a fairly new computer (say about 2GB+ RAM, Core2Duo), you could always run XP within Linux using VMWare Server or VirtualBox (for me VMWare has always worked better). The only disadvantage of running Windows in a virtual environment within linux is that if the application is very resource hungry or requires 3D graphics it may not work at all.

Be sure to check out HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials for tutorials on installing and configuring various things in linux.

Back