Storage Solutions Help me identify my laptop's SSD

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion laptop. It has only 500 GB of inbuilt storage. I thought of adding another 500 GB and contacted HP support. They said, "Buy any M2 SSD ". I almost bought one but realised that there are green and blue ones and they are different. I think there is PCIe or Nvme. Not sure which to choose. I guess it is PCIe but not 100% sure. It would be nice if someone can help me with a method to identify which one fits my laptop. Thanks.

Check laptop manual & specs, it will mention if current SSD is NVMe or SATA. Or just use software like Crystaldiskinfo to see model number & search it online or use a benchmark tool like Crystaldiskmark to chekc speeds, sequential R/W speeds of 1000MBps+ means NVMe, safe to get a PCIe 3.0 NVMe in that case, which is what most laptops support, unless yours is very old & has a M.2 SATA.

Do not buy WD Green in any case. WD SN570 is a good VFM SSD.

How old is it laptop? If around 3-4 years, it mostly would support NVMe. Given that it came with 500 GB SSD, it's either very new, or very expensive (since most laptops till two years ago came with 250 GB SSD). In both cases, it's reasonable to assume that it will support NVMe.

Just searching for the laptop model or the motherboard model will give you this info. Use CPU-Z to get the motherboard model.

How old is it laptop? If around 3-4 years, it mostly would support NVMe. Given that it came with 500 GB SSD, it's either very new, or very expensive (since most laptops till two years ago came with 250 GB SSD). In both cases, it's reasonable to assume that it will support NVMe.

Just searching for the laptop model or the motherboard model will give you this info. Use CPU-Z to get the motherboard model.
Actually a very valid observation. My father's 5 year old XPS 13 had a 128GB SSD, recently upgraded it to 1TB NVMe.

The laptop is around 1.5 years old. I am not sure of the model number because the last part is xxx. They didn't give any manual either. I have CPU-Z, will update the motherboard model number in 10 minutes.

Edit 1:

Please see

1684288505322.png

It's an NVMe slot. Nobody built a Ryzen 5000 series laptop with SATA M.2 slot.

However, there's only one slot available, it seems. So you'll have to replace your current SSD, meaning you'll lose your data and windows installation.

If you have an external drive, backup your data to it. Then replace the SSD, install Windows, and restore the data. Windows license is integrated with the motherboard, so it won't affect your license.

Edit: you'll also need to search on Youtube to see how to replace the SSD on your own. Current gen HP Laptops don't make it very easy to get inside. Though, they're probably still better than Dell, which needs you to call a technician to replace RAM.

open crystaldisk info and look at the ssd model/series number. Then search amazon or google and you will find the type of ssd.

Or, open the laptop, takeout the ssd, take a pic with your phone and post here.

I guess this is the SSD model number : WDC PC SN730 SDBPNTY-512G-1006 (HPS2)

When I talked to the official HP support, they said it is possible to add another 512 GB. My laptop is a gaming laptop.
I checked HP Assistant, the laptop model number :

HP Pavilion 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-ec2000 (2P6B3AV)​

as per

Last edited:
I added a ssd in my son-in-law's HP laptop a few months back. I got tremendous amount of support from the HP support community to identify and choose the correct ssd. I bought and installed the WD SN570 and it works fine. I suggest that you too should check on that community.

Back