Audio Help me in selecting new headphones

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Hello Guys, i gotta buy 2 headphones in some days. Help me choosing it.

First (for me)

Budget - 3K (sounds enough :eek:hyeah: )

Usage - Music, Gaming

Other requirements - should be comfortable in prolong use (6-7hrs straight), light weight.

I had shortlisted Steel series Siberia Full size headset

Razer Carcharias (bit costly for me, but keeping it as last option)

Anybody has idea about Sennheiser PC 320/330 ?

Second-

Budget - 1.5k (strict)

Usage - Only music, no Gaming

Other requirements - Good looking would be a plus.

I have shortlisted these-

Sony MDR XD 200

Sennheiser HD201,202

TIY :)

Of course you did, but i have got some new suggestions making me confuse. I'll PM you some links later tonight.

Seems like TE audiophiles are dead! :(

Nope,they are not.

Your requirement does not exactly fit audiophile standards.

Sent from my galaxy s2 with tapatalk pro.

red dragon said:
Nope,they are not.

Your requirement does not exactly fit audiophile standards.

A boy who was used to rs 150 intex headphones, its a BIG BIG jump, so not exactly audiophile, but you know what i mean!

PS- If i am right, you're a IEM lover and an apple fanboy :bleh:
Sarath_ said:
I think he used the term audiophile to call all music loving people. Of course I agree its original terminology is different.

This! :)

Nope,I am a Mac fanboy only,do not like io.s devices.

If you can sacrifice the mic thing,suggestions will pour in.

I had a xd200,ok for movies,bad for music.It is all about bass,bass and more bass.

Sent from my galaxy s2 with tapatalk pro.

Your budget is really very low, to get some good signature headphone. Even if you spend 3000/- in Sennheiser, Audio Technica etc...you will get the most basic-stuff.
I'll suggest, better to go with some cheaper brands like SoundMagic, JVC etc...coz here you will get more better stuff, given the price-range.

Earphones can also be a good-option. M2, M3, Pl-21, Pl-50 etc.

No offense(about brands-value), but just a humble opinion.

If you can increase your original budget of 3k to 3.5k , you can get the Audio Technica ATH -T500 or M35 . Both are amazing headphones for the price & will perform well with any decent soundcard . They have been reviewed(by Brendon) & discussed extensively on TE , go through them to see which one suits your sound preference the most .

We believe they are one of the best headphones under 4-4.5k & a lot of users might agree with it .

Under 1.5k , Sony MDR XD-100 , Sennheiser HD-201/202 & Audio Technica ATH-T200 are some of the best models .

The HD201 is a little difficult to drive with onboard so chose between ATH-T200 & Sony depending on your bass preference . The Sony have lot more boomy bass than T200 .

Disclaimer : We are official distributors for Audio Technica in India .

mehta_april said:
Your budget is really very low, to get some good signature headphone. Even if you spend 3000/- in Sennheiser, Audio Technica etc...you will get the most basic-stuff.

I'll suggest, better to go with some cheaper brands like SoundMagic, JVC etc...coz here you will get more better stuff, given the price-range.

Earphones can also be a good-option. M2, M3, Pl-21, Pl-50 etc.

No offense(about brands-value), but just a humble opinion.
If my dad knows I'm buying a headphone worth 3k, he will kill me :rofl:

PS- No IEMs.

Malique said:
I can comment on the Rs. 1500 price range.

HD202: decent performer, its more on the bass and slightly dark but do a fine job and justice to its price.

Audio Technica T200 : Check Brendon's review here: http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/audio-technica-t200-review-195517.html
HD 202 is a bit out of my budget, I'm trying to save as much in this to increase budget of my main headphones :) Most probably i will go with the sony ones :)

PristineNote said:
If you can increase your original budget of 3k to 3.5k , you can get the Audio Technica ATH -T500 or M35 . Both are amazing headphones for the price & will perform well with any decent soundcard . They have been reviewed(by Brendon) & discussed extensively on TE , go through them to see which one suits your sound preference the most .

We believe they are one of the best headphones under 4-4.5k & a lot of users might agree with it .

Under 1.5k , Sony MDR XD-100 , Sennheiser HD-201/202 & Audio Technica ATH-T200 are some of the best models .

The HD201 is a little difficult to drive with onboard so chose between ATH-T200 & Sony depending on your bass preference . The Sony have lot more boomy bass than T200 .

Disclaimer : We are official distributors for Audio Technica in India .

Thnx for info. :)

Initially i had eyes on AT only, but after researching a bit, my decision is mixed up. To be more technical i require "open backed" , excellent sound staged over ear headphones. Can you name some good models; I can increase my budget by a few bucks if its real worth.

PS- The JVC RX700 which i mentioned beats your AT-500 (thats what i concluded from reviews all over). Its called as "poor mans AD700" :)

^^ I heard the JVC RX700 and frankly it didn't impress me. Vocals sounded very unrealistic to me in the short listening tests I did. The Audio Technica M35 even though it is priced at just Rs 3.5k did but then again the JVC are 500 bucks cheaper (once you add taxes and shipping the JVCs sell for 2900). I haven't compared them directly so its possible that my impressions of the JVC are not correct. If your music has little vocals in them then the JVC might be worth a listen as they were very comfortable headphones.

And there is no comparison between the AD700 and the JVC. One of them is an open can and the JVC is a closed can. This just goes to show not everything on head-fi is correct. :p

For the budget music phones you can try the Audio Technica T200. Its a rare cheap Neutral headphone. The Sennheiser HD201 is comparable to the performance of the T200 but its very hard to drive and Sennheiser has increased its prices over the years. I haven't heard the Sony so I cannot comment.

OK i'll soon update my decision :)

btw i am not getting JVC at any online shop other than lynx. Though one seller at ebay is selling, but since it has 0 feedbacks, i suspect him.

I recently purchased the Sony MDR XD 200 for use with my desktop PC at home. I have truly enjoyed watching movies and listening to music over them. I think they were definitely worth the price I paid for them and am very happy with them. I suggest that you take a listen to them and see if it is what you want. I am not an audiophile but I do enjoy my music. Maybe I'll work my way up the chain to better appreciating music!

Guys, now I'm ordering headphones from US/UK. I think they'll be cheaper there? So which one to get under 3k (another 500 bucks if its so worthy)? I especially need good sound-staging, and the purpose will be 70% music, 30% gaming. Options till now- JVC RX 700, AT-??. Audiophiles help pls.

Back