So my system is as follows:
Ryzen 1600
Asus Tuf b450m
Hyperx 2666mhx DDR4 RAM
Inno 3d Gt1030
Samsung Nvme 980 500gb
Gigabyte Wifi Card
SFX450 Corsair

It had windows 11 on it, and one of the USB ports had been malfunctioning. I had been putting off the RMA, since it going to take some time and this is the primary PC my kid is using to attend his classes. One fine day as he was attending class and I was leaving work, a new update popped up on windows 11, I just put it on snooze to install it later. Apparently a short while after, we had a series of power cuts (4-5), and after that the PC began giving random BSOD's, attributing it to the possibility of power failure while updating. I reset the PC to stock, a clean install while retaining files. Didn't work. BSOD persisted. Attributing the latest update of windows 11 not supporting ryzen 1600, I reverted to a clean install of Windows 10, BSOD's are less but still persisting. I took out the rams, reinstalled them, the video card and the wifi card as well. Still no luck.
Have performed the following tests:
Memtest(no errors)
Chkdsk of all connected Hard drives(no errors)

The BSOD's I have got so far:
CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
and the latest I am getting repeatedly is
WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

It seems to be a hardware issue, but how to narrow down which one it is, I don't have a lot of spare hardware lying around. Which I can test against. If someone has encountered this problem or can give some direction to narrow down which part it is, would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Against a good known PSU?
One has to eliminate one by one
Here it's not the issue of reputed psu or not.
Even my seasonic m12ii 620w became faulty after I had a lightning strike and I sent it for rma to its service partner.

Run memtest, prime95, furmark etc
Then run psu test by running paperclip test.
Then put the results here if you still can't sort out what the problem is?

One has to eliminate one by one
Here it's not the issue of reputed psu or not.
Even my seasonic m12ii 620w became faulty after I had a lightning strike and I sent it for rma to its service partner.

Run memtest, prime95, furmark etc
Then run psu test by running paperclip test.
Then put the results here if you still can't sort out what the problem is?

I didn't mean it the way that its a reputed PSU and can't go bad. Just asking how I can narrow down its the PSU and not anything else.
Will do the mentioned tests and post.
This is going to sound strange, but try removing the wifi card.

Will do bud, thanks for the replies. :)

Upgrade the bios to any newest revision by downloading from the official website of the mobo.
It happened to my present Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 mobo which was giving me memory errors & BSODS which were random and when I updated to the next revision which was 1.20 everything became super stable and I never got any errors what so ever.

The WHEA uncorrectable error is a stop code displayed during blue screen crashes, and is usually caused by some type of hardware failure. A failing hard drive, defective memory, improperly seated CPU, and a variety of other hardware issues can all result in a WHEA uncorrectable error.

During bsod is there a change in mobos diagnostic leds? Some mobos leds might change if its an hardware error so check yours.

In september this year my friends processor died after constant power cuts cum fluctuations. He was pissed off but finally it was his cpu.

Memtest already came clean so it can be either mobo or proccy.

WHEA generally tends to be related to RAM issue when using XMP. Go to BIOS, reset to defaults or clear BIOS by removing CMOS. Update your BIOS, reseat your RAM. If you have not updated your windows, do it first.
Then boot with normal BIOS config (i.e., no XMP). Try.
If no problems, enable XMP and give another try. A BIOS update should generally fix the problems.
Once you do that, run some benchmarking tool like AIDA64 or Memtest86 and check.

Thank you for all the replies, will get to it over the weekend and get back to you guys. Really appreciate all the thoughtful suggestions.
Edit:
So, an update. I tried removing one of the ram sticks, it seemed to work and looked like a dimm issue. Then the problem came back again. Meanwhile I did a prime95, which was fine until it crashed. Ran for about 10mins. I did a fur mark test for about 7 mins. The gpu is fan less and ventilation is poor as it’s a sfx chassis so I closed that one. Changing of rams in one place or the other did not change, so it seemed that it was not a case of the RAM. It seemed like it could be the motherboard. So I moved to the next suggestion of removing the wifi card and it seems like it worked. The system seems stable and hasn’t crashed yet. So now, I stil have to narrow down if it’s the board or the card.

Last edited:
Another update:
BSOD's disappeared after I removed the card. And used a usb dongle to connect to the internet. I remembered that I got a BSOD mentioning netwtw08/06. So that makes sense. Also I tried to uninstall and update the driver, the adapter is Intel AC9260. Also on further introspection, the BSOD's popped up when I tried to open chrome(which I what I use most of the time) so it was definitely a software/driver or a setting related issue for the card. I've unchecked the 'allow the computer to turn off the device to save power' and for the time being, the system seems stable. Will keep the thread posted for subsequent update. Thanks for all the suggestions, they all helped in one way or another. :)

Another update:
BSOD's disappeared after I removed the card. And used a usb dongle to connect to the internet. I remembered that I got a BSOD mentioning netwtw08/06. So that makes sense. Also I tried to uninstall and update the driver, the adapter is Intel AC9260. Also on further introspection, the BSOD's popped up when I tried to open chrome(which I what I use most of the time) so it was definitely a software/driver or a setting related issue for the card. I've unchecked the 'allow the computer to turn off the device to save power' and for the time being, the system seems stable. Will keep the thread posted for subsequent update. Thanks for all the suggestions, they all helped in one way or another. :)
It’s funny how wifi card can take down the system with bsod. Cheers it is working!

Another update:
I suspect it to be motherboard, as all other components were running good.
The only new item was this Asus motherboard and you 'd faced issues with USB port just after 2-3weeks. I am not doubtful about your PSU.
Just RMA this motherboard and let us know.

Yes it appears that way, Im having to RMA the board, I attached a usb dongle and it BSOD'ed again after some stability, so there is nothing else to troubleshoot. I'll keep you posted, thanks again :). Also I have the latest bios firmware, and it doesn't appear to be corrupted. So its fairly apparent its the MB.

Hope you're not doing any kind of overclocking or tinkering with the CPU. I had a few WHEA related BSODs when using PBO and undervolting. Very rare though but were definitely caused by that.
Before concluding it's the mobo I'd rule out the CPU too.

None at all, as stipulated in the first post, no overclocking(HTPC application). The BSOD's just started occuring one fine day after a few power cuts, I also delayed a windows update at the time. However a clean install didn't fix it, still keeps on recurring.
I suspect it to be motherboard, as all other components were running good.
The only new item was this Asus motherboard and you 'd faced issues with USB port just after 2-3weeks. I am not doubtful about your PSU.
Just RMA this motherboard and let us know.

Well, the MB is not new per say. But it was working fine other than that one issue. I only discovered it when Id populated all the USB ports and printer wasn't working fine. So I attached it to the other port and it printed fine. I connected the faulty port to my webcam and again wouldn't work. So it was a problem but nothing that I couldn't work around. The BSOD of course is a real PIA especially considering this particular machine is used by my Kid to attend his classes.

Last edited:
I attached a usb dongle and it BSOD'ed again

More than likely, this is a seperate issue. AMD relied on ASMedia's IP for all of their peripheral connectivity for the AM4 platform and they're nowhere near the maturity of Intel's platform. Usually a BIOS/AGESA update fixes these kind of issues, or in some edge cases a hardware revision on the motherboard.

BSOD's disappeared after I removed the card.

Wireless cards bringing down entire systems is being documented by tech youtube with increasing frequency in the last year or so. There's one or more windows updates that does something to PCIe wireless cards that prevents the system from POST'ing at all, with both Intel and AMD systems being affected.

I connected the faulty port to my webcam and again wouldn't work.

USB ports have resettable fuses that turn off the ports if a larger than expected current demand is asked of it. Some motherboards have high current USB ports to counter this, they're usually desginated as charging ports. In the past, I used to power off the system and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and this would reset that resettable fuse and the USB port would become usable again. For laptops, this means disconnecting the battery.

Back