help me setup my router

cool1

Disciple
hello every one , i recently bought a netgear wgr614v6 router and proper cables for connecting two wired pc's .i am a totally noob in networking, dont know a thing how to set up ip addresses and stuff.
i wanted to connect two wired pc's and nokia 5800xm to the router and share internet between them ,but dont know how to do the setup.

my service provider is worldnet and my network is pppoe.
On this network i hav two dial up , 1 for connecting the internet and the 2nd for connecting to Dc++ .
When i asked my network engg for ip address he say's that it dynamic , so theres no specific ip address and he will not help me in setting up the router:mad:

when i connect to the internet my ip becomes 221.128.236.something and when i connect to dc++ my ip address becomes 10.10.6.38.

please tell me what should i do for setting up the router to connect and share internet between two pcs.

i am uploading some pics to help understand my ip address situation
worldnet is for internet and zonenet is for dc++.

Attachments

• only world net (840 x 525).jpg
    only world net (840 x 525).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 106
  • only zonenet (840 x 525).jpg
    only zonenet (840 x 525).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 110
u hav gotten into a awkward situation...

let me clarify ur problem...

1. u hav got a net connection with two ppoe dialups, one for internet and one for lan

2. u hav got a router which can be setup for only one ppoe dialup at a time. so that means u will hav to change the setup everytime u want to switch from internet to lan...this is not a feasible idea...or else u will need to write a small script to change the setup automatically...if tht is also not an option then i need some more clarifications

1. u have two desktop pcs with wired lan connections...rite??

2. any wireless connectivity on either pc??..like wifi dongle ??

3. does any of ur pc hav two lan ports?

4. any pc which runs 24/7 or majority of the time ?

answers
1:yes i have two pc's with wired lan connection , i want to be able to share internet between these two pc's (i have only one internet wire which i hav to always exchange between two pc's ).

i have found out a way to connect two dialups at the same time. i have just bought the router and dont know how to set up.

2:i dont have any wireless connectivity on either pc

3: none of my pc's have two lan ports just one port

4:yes one pc runs 24/7 or majority of the time.

just tell me what should i put in the ip address of the router and any other setting needed for the router.
thx in advance

well the problem is the router cannot connect to two dialups at the same time...

so what u can do is

1. either write a script which will change the router settings to switch between dialups or

2. connect the internet wire to the pc which is running majority of the time...buy a wifi dongle or extra lan card and connect it to the other pc...and use the pc running 24/7 as the server for switching connections...

i guess the 2nd point might have gone over ur head...but im sorry...i dont see any other solution...

JeDiKnight said:
well the problem is the router cannot connect to two dialups at the same time...
so what u can do is
1. either write a script which will change the router settings to switch between dialups or
2. connect the internet wire to the pc which is running majority of the time...buy a wifi dongle or extra lan card and connect it to the other pc...and use the pc running 24/7 as the server for switching connections...
i guess the 2nd point might have gone over ur head...but im sorry...i dont see any other solution...

u still didnt cleared my question , i asked what should i do in the router setting, what ip address should i put , all setting that is needed to connect two pc's and share the internet.

i just want to share internet between two pc's dont tell me about dc++ lan.

Disable the Worldnet dialer on your PC and setup the router for PPPoE with your Worldnet username/password. Once that's working, both your PCs will have a working internet connection. Your DC++ dialer can be run off the PC directly.

cool1 said:
u still didnt cleared my question , i asked what should i do in the router setting, what ip address should i put , all setting that is needed to connect two pc's and share the internet.

i just want to share internet between two pc's dont tell me about dc++ lan.

okk
in the wan settings of the router select ppoe connection and put ur dialer settings in tht setup...plug the internet wire in the wan port and chk if ur router is getting ip address from the isp...
in the lan settings of the router leave everything as it is...should be something like 192.168.1.1 kinda thing...
enable dhcp if it is not enabled....and u shud b done...

JeDiKnight said:
okk
in the wan settings of the router select ppoe connection and put ur dialer settings in tht setup...plug the internet wire in the wan port and chk if ur router is getting ip address from the isp...
in the lan settings of the router leave everything as it is...should be something like 192.168.1.1 kinda thing...
enable dhcp if it is not enabled....and u shud b done...

did u check the pic's i have uploaded , if you havent then please have a look at it , and tell me what ip address should i use or put in router .
dude for internet my ip address becomes some like this 221.128.237.xxx.

Your connections should be like this.

Modem > Internet port of the router < PC connected on any port from 1 to 4

After doing this, your PC will get an IP of 192.168.1.x from the router. On the setup page of the router, you need to set the Internet Connection Type to PPPoE. The public 221.128.237.x IP that you mention will now show up on the router's Status page. You should be able to go online on all your computers after this.

Back