Help me with a laptop purchase(Budget ~50k-55K)

@bottle: thanks for clarifying things. I asked around with my friends and they told that one has to pay a 10% forex charges of some sort on the amount you are going to pay for the purchase,
Which I feel is kind of a deal breaker, after paying 10% forex+shipping and custom duty, the price will be similar to India no?
Anyways, In process of asking my friends to let me know if someone is coming from US.
@tech_bot: Thanks for the suggestion mate, guess one week wait is no problem for me. But what is your source for this info.

Last edited by a moderator:
#sh@sh! : I'm closely following xps l521x (new xps 15) thread on notebookreview, you can get a hint from there. Also Samsung,Asus etc announced thier Ivy Bridge i5 refreshs so dell wont take much time .

Yes Amazon supports it, I ordered direct from the Lenovo USA website and they allow amazon check out so I was able to apply some discount coupons from the Lenovo website. Would recommend waiting till July when they have the back to school discounts, I think I got mine at some 35% discount (1350 discounted to 880 or so)

You can check the Shop n ship thread in the dealer section for their current tarrifs and the customs duty is calculated at 16.854% for laptops

Again , I have to mention that I chose this route since I wanted a laptop with an IPS screen and there were no other options. If not would have just picked up something locally

If lenovo website allows amazon checkout then does this mean we can use amazon GC balance to make part payment for the laptop. I don't think so but may be the case is different,

bottle: thanks for clarifying things. I asked around with my friends and they told that one has to pay a 10% forex charges of some sort on the amount you are going to pay for the purchase,
Which I feel is kind of a deal breaker, after paying 10% forex+shipping and custom duty, the price will be similar to India no?

Sorry what forex charges are you talking about ? I didn't incur any such charges. If you are talking about the credit card charge it's usually 1re more than the current exchange rate (Eg. 55 would be 56) I think it should be like a 2% increase or so. You can check with your credit card company what their rate is.

Anyway thats what I said earlier, current exchange rate for INR is pretty high so it might negate benefit of getting from US direct. You can still calculate the final price and decide if its worth it.

If lenovo website allows amazon checkout then does this mean we can use amazon GC balance to make part payment for the laptop. I don't think so but may be the case is different,

Should be, give it a try

@bottle: I asked customer care guys of AMEX and HDFC regarding making a purchase in US and paying by an Indian CC, and both of them told they will be charging 10% of the amount I'm going to pay in INR for dollars. In the current scenario, this route is not recommended anyways so not really worrying about it. Will have to ask someone to bring from there itself when things cool off a little(If they cool off that is).

In another thread I saw that HP US is throwing crazy discount on powerhouse config, why don't we get such facilities here. :(

oh btw congrats on the purchase of X200, I see huge praises for it esp regarding the battery life and screen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, check that the things you'd use the most (like keyboard, speakers, webcam, monitor) work the way you need them to. I bought a HP compaq, and everything is fine and dandy, except that it has only a small speaker which is so silent even on max, it is sad. But too late to complain now....and the screen changes colors from very small angles, I'm sure there are much more advanced screens available these days..

BUMPing up this thread.. I am in the same boat.

Budget - 50 to 55k.

This will be my primary machine.

I looking of either a good lightweight portable system or a desktop replacement powerhouse.

So far I like ..
The Samsung NP550 at 52k has i5 3rd Gen + 6 GB + 1TB + NVidia 650M + 900p display + 15.6" = 2.5kgs
HP Envy 4 1037tx at 53k - i5 3rd Gen + 4 GB + 500GB + ATI 7670M + 768p display + 14" = 1.7kgs

Any other options..??

Budget is upto 55k.

Back