HELP! PC Freezing and going unresponsive

Whats up with ryzen setup having these very issues so common out of nowhere I might have to reconsider and go the stable intel way it seems whenever I might upgrade..
Mostly cpu memory controller compatibility issues with some RAM models... should be more stable with newer generations of ryzen cpus

The platform is still not yet mature. I have USB3 issues with my (linux based) 5900x + B550 system, forcing me to delegate those tasks to an Intel X299 system (also linux). Both systems are stress test stable with XMP, 3600MHz for AMD and 3200MHz for the Intel one. This is reflected on uptime as well. The Intel system is currently at 49 days with more than 50% load the entire time, while the AMD system is at 25 days at less than 20% load which is the last time the system halted due to USB3 issues before I moved that workflow over to the Intel system. The AMD system can crunch through in four hours what takes the Intel system twelve hours, despite having less cores. AMD processors are excellent with top notch performance, but the platform as a whole just isn't mature.

2) You mention that I'll need to do it on a non-Windows OS. Will I have to get a new OS (like Linux) installed and then run memtest through that, or are there options for that in the application already?

It's a bootable disk image that you can image onto a USB drive with a utility like Rufus: https://rufus.ie/en/

The Memtest download zip includes Passmark's own imageUSB so that can also be used to create the bootable USB. In case someone doesn't want to download another software (Rufus is good though.)

I used to have random freezing with my old ryzen 1700 on asus mobo... changed the bios option called something like "power supply idle control " from low to typical and the freezing went away. Might be called something different on your msi mobo.

Not sure if it was RAM compatible issue or something to do with my really old corsair vx450 psu.
. Oh yes, and +1 to the suggestions to replace the psu
yes this is very true .

Update chipset driver and also configure windows power plan

try to underclock your cpu at 2 ghz and disable coreboost undervolt it to around 0.975 v and check the stability .Gradually increase the clocks and voltage over few days. keep the rams at default clock

Here are what the Event Viewer shows me whenever the system freezes on me. I had the PC freeze on me again a few minutes ago, and this was after I had left the system off for over 12 hours and I turned it on just to check my mails.
Event Viewer 3.PNG
Event Viewer 2.PNG
Event Viewer 1.PNG

There was a single instance of a different error that popped up, and this was when I had the system freeze on me 5 times consecutively.
image_2021-09-19_115510.png

I had turned off the fast boot option in BIOS, though I couldn't find anything that resembled "Power Supply Idle Control" although I find it hard to believe that the PSU would go into idle mere minutes after the system boots.

I would really like to get done with this problem since at this point I doubt that the system is stable anywhere other than the BIOS, which it managed to run in for 6 hours straight without any issue when I was monitoring the hardware from there. The System 12V was at 12.216, and the System 5V was at 5.050

After finally completing my PC build back in July, everything seemed all well and good until about early-mid August when my PC first started freezing and causing the entire PC to go unresponsive, where even Ctrl+Alt+Del did absolutely nothing, forcing me to restart the PC by holding the power button. At first it was sporadic, happening when I was playing games, but then it started happening while I was browsing normally as well. I've tried rolling back and reinstalling the drivers, reinstalling Windows 10 and even reinstalling the BIOS on my motherboard, but whenever I think that the issue is fixed and I have no such thing happening for a couple of days, the freeze strikes again.

According to Event Viewer, it's always the same critical error that occurs - Kernel-Power Event ID 41 (63). I've reseated the components whenever possible, checked the wiring in the PC as well, but to no avail.

Specs
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi
  • Antec Atom V550
  • G.Skill Ripjawz 8GB x 2
  • Adata 120 GB SSD (Win 10 installed here)
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD
  • Antec A40 Pro Air Cooler for CPU
  • RTX 2060
What finally has pushed me to post here in TE is that as of today, I've had the computer freeze on me 5 times, even freezing on me right after I log into the PC after restarting. I suspect it might be the Motherboard at this point, but I'm not entirely sure of it either. Another thing I've noticed is that there was one instance where the CPU light on my motherboard stayed on constantly, and the PC didn't restart at all.

Any and all help would be highly appreciated!
I had similar issues in a OLD PC! it could also be the HDMI in the GPU could have failed, hence i switched to the another DVI socket, and it started to work fine~!

Another time i had such a freezing issue, i changed the BOOT HDD/SSD Sata connection to another SATA socket. then i cello taped the non-working SATA socket, and then it went fine.

so these are my practical experiences could contribute to the solution of your issue.~~!! :)

I had similar issues in a OLD PC! it could also be the HDMI in the GPU could have failed, hence i switched to the another DVI socket, and it started to work fine~!

Another time i had such a freezing issue, i changed the BOOT HDD/SSD Sata connection to another SATA socket. then i cello taped the non-working SATA socket, and then it went fine.

so these are my practical experiences could contribute to the solution of your issue.~~!! :)
very true ,the power issue could be the load on the rail of your power supply

The platform is still not yet mature. I have USB3 issues with my (linux based) 5900x + B550 system, forcing me to delegate those tasks to an Intel X299 system (also linux). Both systems are stress test stable with XMP, 3600MHz for AMD and 3200MHz for the Intel one. This is reflected on uptime as well. The Intel system is currently at 49 days with more than 50% load the entire time, while the AMD system is at 25 days at less than 20% load which is the last time the system halted due to USB3 issues before I moved that workflow over to the Intel system. The AMD system can crunch through in four hours what takes the Intel system twelve hours, despite having less cores. AMD processors are excellent with top notch performance, but the platform as a whole just isn't mature.
what kinda USB3 issues u face in B550, coz i hv invested too..

as a side note, in a 3rd Gen Intel system, when i have installed UBUNTU , my GAMING MOUSE and BACKLIT KEYBOARD where choppy and slow, in Linux, i had them connected to a USB 2.0 Port like usual way of connection, BUT when i switched it to USB 3.0 ports, both the peripherals started to work fine. But with Windows, USB 2.0 itself was sufficient enough??? I was wondering that anymore MOBOs can skip USB 2.0 ports and can stick to only USB3.0 :) IMHO. for the sake of Linux.

very true ,the power issue could be the load on the rail of your power supply
Could there be a link between the HDMI port and the system crashing? Since the freezing occurs along with the critcal Kernel-Power error.

As for the SATA ports, I've already changed them on the motherboard, and my PSU isn't modular in any way, although I have swapped the SATA connectors from the PSU though, although that hasn't really made a difference.

Could there be a link between the HDMI port and the system crashing? Since the freezing occurs along with the critcal Kernel-Power error.

As for the SATA ports, I've already changed them on the motherboard, and my PSU isn't modular in any way, although I have swapped the SATA connectors from the PSU though, although that hasn't really made a difference.
1. What GPU ports are you using? and what are all the ports available in your GPU?
2. I meant the SATA DATA CABLE PORT on motherboard, how many SATA Ports do you have? how many is supported by the chipset / and is there additional sata ports supported by additional SATA Controller in your board?

3.G.Skill Ripjawz 8GB x 2 - what is their speed!
1. What GPU ports are you using? and what are all the ports available in your GPU?
2. I meant the SATA DATA CABLE PORT on motherboard, how many SATA Ports do you have? how many is supported by the chipset / and is there additional sata ports supported by additional SATA Controller in your board?

3.G.Skill Ripjawz 8GB x 2 - what is their speed!
also check is ADATA SSD is working fine in HD Tune pro

Last edited:
1) I'm only using 1 HDMI port. There are 4 - 3 DisplayPorts and 1 HDMI.

2) I have already changed the cable ports on the Motherboard. There are 4 SATA ports, and I've swapped the ports, the cables themselves, and have also tried running only one drive (the one with Win 10) and yet I've had the problem return after a day or so.

You know... I noticed you also have gskill ripjaws RAM... are they Ripjaws V... red colour? Mine were same brand in my old ryzen 1700 pc and some other people I read about also happened to have this RAM. Can you try using a different model like Corsair or something?

You know... I noticed you also have gskill ripjaws RAM... are they Ripjaws V... red colour? Mine were same brand in my old ryzen 1700 pc and some other people I read about also happened to have this RAM. Can you try using a different model like Corsair or something?
They are red in colour. This is the only PC I have, so I don't actually have another RAM stick on me. And now I'm genuinely confused. Is it the RAM, the Mobo or the PSU?

If you can get a local computer shop to help with testing different parts, I'd say first swap the psu, if that doesn't resolve it, then try the RAM.

Well if that still doesn't work then cpu, then mobo.

I know, it'll be a wild goose chase but hopefully it's the psu.

what kinda USB3 issues u face in B550, coz i hv invested too..

The entire system would halt on a cpu error whenever I had external hard drives connected. It didn't matter if I had one or ten drives connected, whether directly or through hubs, on cpu USB3 ports or chipset USB3 ports. The entire system would lock up and become unresponsive randomly, but usually within 24 hours of power on.

Because the platform is so young, I don't have much faith in it. So I didn't want to do any troubleshooting other than trying different ports and hubs, updating to the latest linux kernel and bios. I knew the X299 platform is rock solid, simply because it's so old (four years) and has been revised so many times with multiple generation of processors, so it was easier just to move everything over to that system.

Troubleshooting the AMD system would probably reveal something eventually, but it's not my main system even though it's the most powerful one I own. And because every hour of downtime means lost earnings, it's far much less of an incentive to figure it out when I can just migrate that workflow to another system.

Back