help required -port forwarding from Jio fibre

krsamy

Disciple
I have a jio fibre router. This is connecte to a TPlink mesh (M5).
Anybody able to port forward from the jio router? The IP shown in the jio router is different from the public IP.
I have very limited knowledge on this and my friend says I have get a static IP to connect my laptop in home from outside of the network.
Anybody has suggestions?

I have a jio fibre router. This is connecte to a TPlink mesh (M5).
Anybody able to port forward from the jio router? The IP shown in the jio router is different from the public IP.
I have very limited knowledge on this and my friend says I have get a static IP to connect my laptop in home from outside of the network.
Anybody has suggestions?
You first need to assign static ip to the device you want to use for port forwarding....don't bother about the public ip.
Check internet for guides. I'm sure you will find multiple

Port forwarding will not work on Jiofiber. They do not give the option to purchase static IP.
They do not use Dynamic IPs either. So Dynamic DNS (if you have come across this as a solution) will not work either.

Jiofiber uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), means no matter what configuration you do on your router, the ports can't be opened to outside your home network.

Not everything is lost though. You can use utilities like ZeroTier, TailScale and other alternatives. These make the two devices 'think' they are on the same network and can talk to each other as if they were directly connected to same router/switch.
Even a self-hosted openVPN instance will do the trick (Depending on number of connections - free tier only allows maximum of 2).

Feel free to ask for more help!

^^ What he said. Pretty much every ISP is using CGNAT so your router does not have a public IP, without which others on the internet can't talk to it.

If you need it for highbandwidth apps like Parsec, stuff like Zero Tier will not do too well. The cheapest/easiest/most stable option is to buy a Static (Public) IP from your ISP.

Also since you're new to networking, read up on how a router's firewall shields your devices from the internet, and why opening ports is risky.

Someone pointed me here, so this is partly incomplete

If you need to access a service hosted on your network with the public, there is a method

You cannot port forward Jio on IPv4, but you can access the same via IPv6.

You will need to amend the firewall rules to allow IPv6 access. This would require you to open up the router admin page and going into Network > LAN > IPv6 (last that I could remember).

I dont have a Jio Fiber anymore, so cannot exactly give SS of the same.

If you want to access this service (assuming its a webpage) via IPv4, all you need to do is get a domain and put it on Cloudflare.

Backstory - This was discussed in 2020 ending with me and superczar for checking if Jio was prioritizing v6 over v4 for speed + some specific locations in Jio mobile I was seeing only Ipv6 access (no v4). I could not find any evidence for the former, so wrote it off. For the latter, the sample size was too small for me to work on it, but my services are IPv6 ready so not an issue (had problems with some other v4 websites only)

My primary objective is not for webhosting. Need to access my laptop from outside and was thinking about Microsoft RDP using for 3389. And after reading the old threads in other forums, it looks like ' jio does not provide a static IP even for a fee. But if you approach them with a request for connecting a DVR they might help and maximum they will open 3 ports'. I will try this approach if it works. If it does not, then I will try other options suggested here in this thread. Anyhow, it is a steep learning curve.

My primary objective is not for webhosting. Need to access my laptop from outside and was thinking about Microsoft RDP using for 3389. And after reading the old threads in other forums, it looks like ' jio does not provide a static IP even for a fee. But if you approach them with a request for connecting a DVR they might help and maximum they will open 3 ports'. I will try this approach if it works. If it does not, then I will try other options suggested here in this thread. Anyhow, it is a steep learning curve.

Jio business does give a static IP.

But since you want to do expose RDP on the public internet, would suggest to use a VPN like tailscale which will be free for 3 users/100 devices.

Install the software on all your devices which need access and ensure signed in with same account and directly connect to the IP given by tailscale.

Port forwarding will not work on Jiofiber. They do not give the option to purchase static IP.
They do not use Dynamic IPs either. So Dynamic DNS (if you have come across this as a solution) will not work either.

Jiofiber uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), means no matter what configuration you do on your router, the ports can't be opened to outside your home network.

Not everything is lost though. You can use utilities like ZeroTier, TailScale and other alternatives. These make the two devices 'think' they are on the same network and can talk to each other as if they were directly connected to same router/switch.
Even a self-hosted openVPN instance will do the trick (Depending on number of connections - free tier only allows maximum of 2).

Feel free to ask for more help!
DDNS should work with jio fiber, I tried it with Airtel (which is also behind a CGNAT) and it worked fine with no-IP

DDNS should work with jio fiber, I tried it with Airtel (which is also behind a CGNAT) and it worked fine with no-IP

Airtel and Jio are totally different. Airtel usually gives a public IPv4 address, but no IPv6 (at least, last time I checked) while Jio (Home) gives a private IPv4 address and a publicly accessible IPv6 address, but its blocked by the firewall.

In this case, the user can allow port 3389 from IPv6, but its not worth it IMO because of 2 reasons - he can only access this on a IPv6 ready network and RDP access is not recommended without having addition security in place.

Airtel and Jio are totally different. Airtel usually gives a public IPv4 address, but no IPv6 (at least, last time I checked) while Jio (Home) gives a private IPv4 address and a publicly accessible IPv6 address, but its blocked by the firewall.

In this case, the user can allow port 3389 from IPv6, but its not worth it IMO because of 2 reasons - he can only access this on a IPv6 ready network and RDP access is not recommended without having addition security in place.
huh, it must have been a while ago because last I checked, airtel is under CGNAT too, same thing with my friend's airtel xstream connection.

Since it's clear jio doesn't allow port forwarding..

Where does airtel broadband stand in this because of the port forwarding issue I have applied for airtel broadband.. I don't have any other fiber option in my area

Airtel XFibre in Delhi gives public IP Addresses and is not behind CG-NAT (checked in May-2023).

Not sure. I was able to connect to Parsec (which doesn't work on CGNAT) so I guessed Airtel gives public IP.

Last edited:
Where does airtel broadband stand in this because of the port forwarding issue I have applied for airtel broadband.. I don't have any other fiber option in my area
Get static IP from airtel for 200/pm then you can get a public IP.
Airtel XFibre in Delhi gives public IP Addresses and is not behind CG-NAT (checked in May-2023).
How did you check this? I'm also in Delhi NCR and I always get a WAN IP in the range of 100.x.x.x and that is not my public IP.
If your public IP and WAN IP is same only then you're getting a unique public IP else it's behind a CGNAT.

Get static IP from airtel for 200/pm then you can get a public IP.

How did you check this? I'm also in Delhi NCR and I always get a WAN IP in the range of 100.x.x.x and that is not my public IP.
If your public IP and WAN IP is same only then you're getting a unique public IP else it's behind a CGNAT.
I did not check that specifically. I was able to connect to Parsec (which doesn't work on CGNAT) so I figured Airtel gives public IP. I might be wrong.

Not sure. I was able to connect to Parsec (which doesn't work on CGNAT) so I guessed Airtel gives public IP.
Airtel allows purchase of static IP for 99/month+GST(₹118/month)
I am using since a long time, and the primary reason I switched to Airtel in the first place.
Moreover, when I bought the static IP, I used to get 1gb/s up and down for couple of months (on 200mb/s plan)

Thanks for your suggestions regarding tailscale. Installed tailscale on my asus mini, laptop and s23 ultra. Able to do RDP while the laptop was connected to jio personal hotspot and the asus mini was in the jio fiber network. Now to look further into security settings on making the RDP secure.

Back