Other Help - Suggest me a tablet for my dad.

anupkumarroy

Disciple
I am shifting to US and thus I need a tablet which will always keep me connected to my parents even while they are on the go. They do not understand much about gadgets so the thing has to be simple. Apple 16GB iPad with Retina Display and Wi-Fi Cellular (4th Generation) is a good option fr me but the option of not able to share ,copy, expandable memory,radio etc is making me think.
My budget is around ~35k along with the hdmi cable. The requirements are :
1. Good front cam and display ( mainly fr video chat) : I saw the front cams & their screen display of samsung 211, 311 and Ipad mini 2. I would rate the experience as ipad>211>311. I want to have full visual clarity on both the ends. Samsung tab 3 211 was really good in this aspect but I heard that it is slow and sluggish. but I would be happy to buy it at ~16k.

2. HDMI connectivity to large screens ( 1080p or 1080i))with good display quality. i intend to chat on skype with HDMI plugged on so that they can view me on a bigger screen.

3. 3G so that they can connect on the go. ( their might be construction going on at my new flat .. so I need to see a few things to take decisions. and there's no wifi there)

4. Able to control the device remotely with as low as possible interference/ inputs required from my parents like team viewer.. i have used it on pc and it works like a charm. I also used it once on my samsung galaxy s3 it was okay but I guess using it on tablet/ phone requires high ram as i was getting errors like out of memory while doing it. and tab 3 211 has only 1 GB of ram. So, i think i atleast need 1.5 GB ram. Remember if anything goes wrong i will be the one troubleshoot it sitting thousands of miles away.

5. My mom is really not even a novice in this. So she should be able to play radio/music effortlessly with only a few clicks.

Add ons.. but not must.
6. torrents capability : So that i can download videos ( remotely) and ask my dad to plug it into my 46 inch TV and make them watch movie.

Last edited:
How will a windows tab better address all his requirements ?

The problem i see here is there is no local tech help if required. This means he needs a secondary way to call home if the primary fails. or a backup device.

How soon does OP leave for the US ?

guys !!! i forgot to tick the send me email notification and I missed the discussion here. I finally went with ipad ( 4th generation - retina display) 16gb wifi+ cellular . got really a gr8 offer on amazon 25% off - only 29,899/- . Will be augmenting it with lightning to HDMI adapter. But i cant find it anywhere except only one seller on ebay and it doesnt give indian warrenty as well. Can i get that cable or a third party solution in lamington?

This thread has the potential to be very interesting as the requirements are quite challenging.

OP talks about 4G & 3G interchangeably. Which is it ?

Unless he's still interested. How much time does he have before he leaves for the US and how long will he be away for.

I m permanently being posted thr. I have about 1.5 more months. Btw what does OP stands for, what do mean by 3g -4g interchangability ( i intend to keep the tab here in india only). And if u dint notice i already bought the tab - its a ipad 4th generation

OP = original poster as in thread starter ie you, anup kumar roy

you say you want something that has 4 g then talk about 3g. So which are you going to use. 4g will give you the throughput but will it be available in the area you want to use it or whenever your folks are on the road.

1.5 months means means you have 2 weeks to do research and another three to train your parents.

tab decision is done, now how do you intend to sustain your connection back home. You really need to have someone locally available that is tech savvy and can be called up in case of problem. As your parents are not going to be able to fix things themselves.

Last edited:
Btw can you tell me if this thing suffices for me or does it degrade the video quality in any way ?

lightning to 30 pin -> http://www.snapdeal.com/product/cal...548?utm_source=earth_feed&utm_campaign=12_336
30 pin to hdmi -> http://www.flipkart.com/apple-digital-av-hdmi-adapter/p/itmdgm6fwndvamr2
Anyone care to answer this ?

Please close the thread.
Actually, i'd like you to keep updating this thread as you progress. Wanted to see what solutions you come up with to meet your original requirements.

i became frustrated about not being able to control the ipad .. spent a lot of time on the research ... Now I have initiated a refund from Amazon. Lets see what happens next. I think I would be now going for a samsung tab 211 or tab 311. And yes I am stuck with a lightning to HDMI cable and the cover/case for the ipad. So, If anyone is intersted please let me know.

ok, so its android now. The choice of tablet is less interesting than the solutions to your requirements and how robust they are. You are away, your expectation is your parents will be able to do what you want without too much issues.

You never answered whether you have local help or not. Is there a technically competent family member that can be relied upon in case there is a technical hitch ?

3. 3G so that they can connect on the go. ( their might be construction going on at my new flat .. so I need to see a few things to take decisions. and there's no wifi there)
Presumably you mean they will be able to use the tab to take photos/videos so you can view them later.

Or are you expecting them to use the tab's front camera to show you what is happening in real time via skype ? so you chat when they are on site they point the tab at something and you see what they mean. Easier.

this means at least HD camera in the front. With a fast enough 3G to transmit without too much lag. I'm not sure how feasible this will be. The photo/video and then upload might work better but won't be as immediate.

i wonder why you even want a tab in the first place instead of just a smartphone. Tab means bigger screen so they can see you easier than on smartphone's smaller screen.

I assume that my parents will NOT be able to navigate through the settings/options on their own. The only thing they will need to do is connect it to internet and I shall take over. There is no local help available, theres only a guy who charges 200 bucks only to give a visit. Getting a smart-phone is also one option I m thinking about. Tab will obviously get them a bigger screen to do things, see photos or video chat with me with ease. But as of now I m waiting for the refund.
720p( 1.3 mp) is good enough to get a HD video over chat plus I hv will be having an option to switch the back camera while in video. And yes I expect them to point the thing in real time in a video while on the move. And, yes I will be getting a high internet speed.

Back