CPU/Mobo (HELP) Unable to view BIOS screen

vindal

Disciple
Hello folks! This is my first post on TE and its about a weird issue.

My specs (PC)-

Processor- Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard- MSI B450M Pro VDH MAX
OS- Win 10 Pro
GPU- RTX 2070

Last year I had picked up a HiFiMan HE-4XX from sstiwari and have been using it for playing Valorant on my laptop (I use them with the iBasso DC03 DAC and the results are phenomenal!). I wanted to have the same experience on my PC which, unfortunately enough, doesn't have a C type port. To get around that issue I bought a cheap USB2.0 to C adaptor. It worked on my laptop but for reasons unknown to me, it refused to work with my PC. After a lot of digging I came across a blog which said MSI has some USB issues link.

This brings me to the second (and the main) part of the issue. One of the fixes that I had tried was to update my BIOS. I hadn't updated the bios ever. So I updated it to the latest one available on MSI's website (7A38vBF1(Beta version)). This did not fix the issue but it didn't cause any others either and life was fine and I kept on playing Star Wars Jedi- Fallen Order (reminds me a lot of the Force Unleashed, beaut game). After coming across that "USB setting in the BIOS" fix, I wanted to give it a try. I noticed that the bios splash screen didn't come up anymore while booting the PC up. I read a few threads and tried these fixes-
(Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3)

1. Shift + Restart to enter BIOS
2. Change HDMI cable/ports (my monitor has 3 HDMI ports and nothing else, neither is working)
3. NVIDIA firmware update (its not for my GPU apparently)
4. Reinsert CMOS battery and retry above steps

One reddit thread mentioned that the BIOS is probably looking for on-board graphics and keeping PCI-e for last. IDK if that is the case because my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics.

Now that I have reinserted the CMOS battery, my RAM OC is gone and I still can't access the BIOS. Although it hasn't made any visible difference yet (kinda surprised) and the game too runs at a steady 60FPS (Haven't played a lot but the one area that I tried ran at 60). How do I fix this issue? Any idea what could have gone wrong?

One reddit thread mentioned that the BIOS is probably looking for on-board graphics and keeping PCI-e for last.

This may be what's happening, that the graphics card is being initialized well after the BIOS has passed on the boot sequence to the OS.

Have you tried having Windows to reboot your computer into the BIOS? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode?view=windows-10

To get around that issue I bought a cheap USB2.0 to C adaptor

Try a different adapter, but first try this adapter in a USB2 (black) port instead of a USB3 (blue) port. You could also try a USB 3.0 to type-C cable. It's possible this adapter is not properly terminating the USB 3.0 signals in either your motherboard or type-c device (even though it is USB2) or both. Before any of this though, update your BIOS. There has been at least one release that fixes USB issues.

Have you tried having Windows to reboot your computer into the BIOS?
Hey @rsaeon, I tried this the first thing. I tried mashing the Del key and the Shift + Restart option to boot directly into my BIOS settings. It does reach there (I think it does because I left it like that for 2-3 minutes and the screen was black but it didn't proceed any further) but the screen is black. If flashing the BIOS would help then how do I even go about doing that? My GPU does not send any signal during the BIOS splash screen or the BIOS menu (the monitor says No Signal at that time) but it springs into action as soon as the login page of windows appears.

Try a different adapter, but first try this adapter in a USB2 (black) port instead of a USB3 (blue) port. You could also try a USB 3.0 to type-C cable. It's possible this adapter is not properly terminating the USB 3.0 signals in either your motherboard or type-c device (even though it is USB2) or both. Before any of this though, update your BIOS. There has been at least one release that fixes USB issues.
I tried putting the adaptor in all the ports present on my mobo, doesn't work. It does work on my laptop which is strange.

I've heard of the 3080ti not displaying bios screens after a bios update on the motherboard, this was fixed with a bios update for the card. Can you check and see if there's a bios update for your graphics card?

Or if your card has dual bios, try flipping the switch (while powered off).

Zotac hasn't released any BIOS updates for 2070 mini :(
Also, what exactly would one be looking for in a new bios (especially in m y case)? I can see people asking for BIOS with 0% fan speed, etc.

Do 3 things..
First as soon you power on the pc keep hitting F2 and DEL keys simultaneously (dont keep them pressed but keep them hitting) You might get into bios.
Secondly try different ports at back of your gpu and repeat above steps
Lastly, flashback good old msi bios aka downgrade. Not to worry downgrades are possible!

Do 3 things..
First as soon you power on the pc keep hitting F2 and DEL keys simultaneously (dont keep them pressed but keep them hitting) You might get into bios.
Secondly try different ports at back of your gpu and repeat above steps
Lastly, flashback good old msi bios aka downgrade. Not to worry downgrades are possible!
I am able to get into BIOS but unable to see anything.
If I don't do anything, my screen stays black and lights up when windows welcome screen appears. If I press the BIOS menu button (del) then it stays black (because its probably in the menu)
My GPU has 1 hdmi, 3 dp, and 1 dvi ports but my monitor only has hdmi.

I was able to get into BIOS using an old GTX 970 that I had lying around. But I'm still unable to do so using my RTX 2070. Seems like a BIOS version + GPU issue

Updating this thread after a while.
I have a spare GTX 970 lying around. Once I plugged that in, I was able to view the splash screen but when I reverted back to the 2070, same old same old. I got a 3080ti for my 2070+cash from this forum and surprisingly that card displays the splash screen so I don't know what is/was at fault here. Just glad that its working. (During one bootup with my 2070 a few days ago, I was somehow able to see the splash screen. Didn't happen after that)

Back