Graphic Cards Help wid GFX Selection..!! under 10/12K

^^well when i was i pune a yr. back, stech main distributorship used to be at prabhat industrial estate, 1st floor, off shankarsheth road...they also have a showroom at deccan...maybe tht is whr u must have gone..but i hv to agree tht stuff in pune is costly..even in mumbai the best prices are only available at lamington..thts why it is so famous..its probably because of the competition there..well the more of it..the better for the customer..;)

if u want, i'll confirm the price of XFX 7900gs tomorrow from my vendor..:)

The current ATI cards have a high thermal rating, but the coolers do a good job of cooling them.

But if you intend to leave the PC on for 24/7 then be prepared for a burnout from both the cards. 7900GS would have an advantage here though.

@Aces : yeah,my pc wud b on near 24x7 on stock coolin,that is why i m reluctant to get ATI x1950 pro...

lets c what the prices say or some diff card in same range ì.e 10-12k..

@death-virus : 7900 costlier than x1950 pro...seems surprising..

Hey dipen..i got the price for the 7900GS..but of BIG...XFX is out of stock...tomorrow, distis stay closed as it is saturday so the vendor told me tht the price of XFX can only be confirmed on Tuesday as monday is a holiday..

Plus the ATI X1950 Pro is around 14k...he cudnt confirm if the make was sapphire or powercolor..said, he wud confirm tomorrow..:)

So yes..price of BIG 7900GS is 11250...tht means the XFX cud be anywhere in the range of 12.7-13k...

better u go for XFX 7800GT/GTX...wud fall in the 10-12k(your budget) range..

Now tht creates a lot of confusion..whether to go with a better gpu but an okay-dokay brand OR to go for a lower GPU from a significantly better and more reputed brand for the same price.... :eek:hyeah: :p ....sorry, i myself am confused on this..cant really suggest the better out of the 2..;) Anyways u get 3 yrs warranty with both cards..so u can give BIG a shot..u'll get a better GPU..wot say?? :)

@RYAN: thanx for prices :)

Damn so confusing!!!

hw much diff in terms of perf. betn 7800GT/GTX N 7900GS...

as v know x1950pro wil outrun above two by a mile...n diff is 1K appox..i hope i cn squeeze it den...

cz i hv 45k for whole pc..it wud b sily to spend 14k on gpu...lets c...
i wont b goin for big...heard lotsa complaints..

7800GT/GTX/7900GS/X1950PRO..

Way too confusing..experts sm mre indept..advice..

dipen01 said:
@RYAN: thanx for prices :)

Damn so confusing!!!

hw much diff in terms of perf. betn 7800GT/GTX N 7900GS...

as v know x1950pro wil outrun above two by a mile...n diff is 1K appox..i hope i cn squeeze it den...

cz i hv 45k for whole pc..it wud b sily to spend 14k on gpu...lets c...
i wont b goin for big...heard lotsa complaints..

7800GT/GTX/7900GS/X1950PRO..

Way too confusing..experts sm mre indept..advice..

the 7800gtx is only about 5% better in performance over the 7800GT..but here's a turn around..the 7900gs is not necessarily better than the 7800gtx..infact the 7800gtx beats the 7900gs in a lot of benchmarks..;)
check this out..Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: VGA Charts

But still, the 7900gs is a better choice as it is a fairly new gpu based on the G71 and very ocer friendly owing to its architecture..

And sure the X1950 Pro beats the 7900GS...but not by a very big margin..
check this out..Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: VGA Charts

All i'll say is tht u wont stand to loose with any of the 2 cards..do an eenie meenie mynei mo and pick any one of 'em..:bleh:

I am not sure why the idea or heating up of ATI cards has crept up your mind. Yes they are relatively warmer, but my ATI idles around 45 degrees and goes to 65 degrees on 100% load. Now there are much better 1950 Pro out there from Powercolor or Asus which have coolers from Arctic Freezer Pro etc. which would run even cooler. If cards started burning out like you think, ATI would have gone bankrupt by now. So at least dont reject the ATI caz of heat issues, reject them if it dont fit your budget.

Aces170 said:
The current ATI cards have a high thermal rating, but the coolers do a good job of cooling them.
But if you intend to leave the PC on for 24/7 then be prepared for a burnout from both the cards. 7900GS would have an advantage here though.

LOL my x1900xtx is the hottest of all the cards and its been running fine all this time for the past one year :p. Its only particular batches of 9800 cards that had issues in Indian heat. Other cards have been fine. Both my x800xt and x1900xtx are running fine with no issues. Also screw THG its a biased site. Check elsewhere. In newer titles like SC Double Agent and Rainbow Six: Las Vegas (Unreal Engine 3), the x1950pro beats the 7950GT and at times the 7900GTX, let alone the 7900GS. Its basically the architecture... the R580 architecture on which all the new ATI cards are based upon is way way better and more forward thinking than the G70 architecture. With newer apps, the differences visible will only get wider as the ATI cards have way better pixel shading power than the NV cards of the DX9 generation. The NV DX10 cards seem to be real good but only time will tell if they can hold upto the R600 challenge.

^^ Yep, as you said it, the X1950 pro is easily much better then 7900Gs, or 7800GT. Its a no go there espeically if 7900GS is 12k in India. LOL btw I know we all hate THG but they have a very nice system of comparing the cards, you can directly compare any two cards, and X1950 pro is better then 7900GT in almost all the games.

And lol my PC has been on 24/7 most of the time since past 2.5 yrs and my 9800 seems to have survived as of now ;) Personally speaking I simply love the 2d quality and 3d color reproduction of ATI cards, and unless NV has a really good deal, the nxt one is gonna be a mid range DX10 ATI card for sure ;)

Aces170 said:
I know we all hate THG but they have a very nice system of comparing the cards, you can directly compare any two cards

Right said fred..;) its a cool way to just check the cards u want to against standard benchmarks..though it is not too brilliant..it simply marks the cards selected in blue color..as if we cannot read...;)

But i do not really understand why a lot of ppl call 'em biased? the comparison seems fare enuf..And i'm sure THG cannot afford to be biased towards a particular brand given their reputation....btw, who do u think they are biased towards??

Well..if u ask me, i'd say its just the never ending ATI-NVidia war becoz of what ppl tend to call a particular testing site biased..if one is a fan of a particular brand and the rival brand is winning the benchies on a regular note, he tends to think that the site is biased towards the rival brand..Well, nothing wrong in it..(its human nature..;) )....Hey, just my view...no offense..:)

^^ Well you certainly dont know their history, and how they actually rated fx 5800 ultra as a much better card then 9700 pro. Also previously they had a bias against AMD too.. But just their high recommendation of geforce FX lineup THG has a earned a bad repute, and I must say I just chcked THG some days back after a really long time..

For VGA charts, Xbitlabs is a better bet.

Amidst al these nvidia n ati differences...

does brand matter much..coz im thinking of BIG 7900GS...

I mean is it reliability or perf. thats diff betn. . big n xfx..

coz from where i c 14k out of 45k wudnt b able to afford dat much..

what abt brands for 7800GTX...

dipen01 said:
Amidst al these nvidia n ati differences...

does brand matter much..coz im thinking of BIG 7900GS...

I mean is it reliability or perf. thats diff betn. . big n xfx..

coz from where i c 14k out of 45k wudnt b able to afford dat much..

what abt brands for 7800GTX...

The big 7900GS @ 11250 is quiet enticing indeed..my vendor said, they havent had any more or less complaints for BIG cards when compared to XFX..though i dont give a damn for what the vendors say, i think the 3 yrs. warranty shud negate much of the reliability worries..if ur card breaks down within 3 yrs, just screw it up their a**... :p Anyways, i dont think many ppl continue with their cards for more than 2 yrs...unless its so gud tht u dont wanna part with it..(hypothetical situation..:rofl: )

Well, abt brands for 7800GTX..its XFX once again..but its too costly..13+k..

From what i make out, u seem to be more inclined towards Nvidia..(nothing wrong..:p ) So i'll suggest u to get the 7900GS..its in ur budget...just decide the brand..(cant really help u on this :hap5: )..if u can shell out an extra 1-1.5k, get the XFX...then OC ur card and post the benchmarks!!:clap:

Ohh..by the way, the XFX will sure OC much better than the BIG..but take this into consideration only if u intend to overclock..:)

:bleh: no its nt abt nvidia or ati...it doesnt matter much coz i havent usd gfx earlier..

its abt buildin allround optimum pc ìn 45k...n so in 10-12 i wudnt get any good ati.

Wel il jus enquire local rates and rates from aditya(apollyon) as soon as i reach pune :)

May be i wil go wid BIG 7900GS cz ill overclock bt nt at its peak..
Just a little as i wont be able to provide gud coolin...

It wil b on stock coolin.

i guess i saw a ati x1950pro for 14k somewhere......itll be a gr8 buy.........and about your heating issues.the sapphire ones ive heard do get pretty warm, but the asus versions nd the simple ati ones hav no such problems

Hmmm lets c what do i find in pune or wid apollyon's...

still one silly doubt..!

should i really opt for BIG in terms of performance...!! heard lotsa complaints here itself...

Back