Graphic Cards Help with ATI Radeon 4850

DeathAdder

Disciple
I was playing Dead Space 2 and all of a sudden windows froze. So I hit the reset button and since then I am getting this message: "Please insert power cable of your graphics card and refer to your hardware installation guide". Graphics card fan is still working. I removed the graphics card for an hour and tried again, still no luck. Please help me out.

My specifications:

Motherboard: MSI P45 Neo-F (601-7519-010) no OC

RAM: 2X2GB Corsair DDR2

HDD: WD Caviar Green WS6400AACS, 640GB

PSU: Corsair VX450, 450W

GFX Card: ATI Radeon 4850, 512MB DDR3

Operating System: Windows 7

Processor: Intel E6750, 2.66Ghz

The 4850 requires one 6 pin connector. try another card which requires a 6 pin connector and see if it's ur card's fault or the cable's faulty. Also test ur card in someone else's rig. Else you know what to do!

ALPHA17 said:
Okay from the sounds from the looks of it that the card got fried OR the SMPS wire is faulty try to get a friends RIG try to put your card on his system and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Bench - GPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News, from the benchie it looks that the HD 4850 has dual 6-pin PCi-E power adapters correct me if I'm wrong bruv.
Nope the 4850 has only one 6pin connector.

If the card has fried would he be getting the display message?...

@OP check for the 6pin connector you're using. if it got damaged

DeathAdder said:
I was playing Dead Space 2 and all of a sudden windows froze. So I hit the reset button and since then I am getting this message: "Please insert power cable of your graphics card and refer to your hardware installation guide". Graphics card fan is still working. I removed the graphics card for an hour and tried again, still no luck. Please help me out.

My specifications:

Motherboard: MSI P45 Neo-F (601-7519-010) no OC

RAM: 2X2GB Corsair DDR2

HDD: WD Caviar Green WS6400AACS, 640GB

PSU: Corsair VX450, 450W

GFX Card: ATI Radeon 4850, 512MB DDR3

Operating System: Windows 7

Processor: Intel E6750, 2.66Ghz
You can try another card in there, or try your card on another system. Too root out possible component failure.

DeathAdder said:
"Please insert power cable of your graphics card and refer to your hardware installation guide

I dont think you should get any message if its a power cable issue. Your monitor should go blank.
Usually there are 2 led's on your card. Check to see if they both are glowing.
One of the led's is for power supply. It glows when there is some issue or less power.

Is the powercable lock mechanism broken on the card/cable?...Imo the card shouldn't be at fault since the card also draws power from the pcie slot and you're getting the display message.

Back