Audio help with home theater connections

lavinachtani

Adept
Nov 3, 2007
i had bought a home theater and i dint really bother about the connections a lot ...i just connected them ....it works fine but i read using different connections may change the audio video quality....so please tell me which connections should i use now to get the best out of my system

i have Marantz sr3001 av receiver , pioneer dv400 dvd player and sony klv32s310a lcd tv
the connection available on them are
1) Marantz receiver
VIDEO
Composite In/Out - 4/3
S-video In/Out - 2/2
Component In/Out - 2/1

AUDIO
Analogue In/Out - 7/4
Digital Optical In/Out - 1/-
Digital Coaxial In/Out - 2/-
It also has D-Bus In/Out

2) Sony LCD Tv
HDMI/Audio In - 2/1
Component / Audio In - 2
Composite / Audio In - 3
Composite (Monitor) / Audio Out - 1
Audio Out - 1

3) Pioneer DVD player
1 x HDMI (scaling to 1080p), 1 x component video, 1 x coaxial

Right now i have connected my dvd player to the receiver using digital optical connection and my dvd player to the tv i think using the component connection, its the yellow cable plug

lavinachtani

Adept
Nov 3, 2007
i also have a few questions

1) What difference will it make if i connect my dvd player to the tv for via the
AV receiver rather than connecting my dvd player directly to the tv?
( My receiver does not have hdmi connection )
2) Will my video quality get better if i use the hdmi cable for connecting my
dvd player to the tv?
3) What connection should i use if i want to listen to audio from the regular tv
cable via my speakers? i.e. connect my tv to the receiver for audio?

TechHead

ex-Mod
Mar 19, 2005
1) Use HDMI to connect your DVD player to the TV, no use connecting it through the receiver. Better video quality, yes.

2) Use a normal RC-EP connector to connect the TV to your receiver's audio IN.

Anish

Skilled
May 9, 2005
Goa, India.
www.anishsood.com
Your existing DVD -> TV connection (The yellow one) is composite. Switch to HDMI as TH mentioned.

For TV -> Receiver use a RCA cable (White & Red plugs) from your TVs audio out into any analog channel on the recever.

lavinachtani

Adept
Nov 3, 2007
i have read component is as good as hdmi connection..so if i connect my dvd player to the receiver and receiver to tv using components will it be better than direct hdmi connection to the tv?

and in general case why would someone connect their dvd player to tv via the receiver if there is no change in quality..y not connect it directly?

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
lavinachtani said:
i have read component is as good as hdmi connection..so if i connect my dvd player to the receiver and receiver to tv using components will it be better than direct hdmi connection to the tv?
and in general case why would someone connect their dvd player to tv via the receiver if there is no change in quality..y not connect it directly?

You can use the AVR as a video switcher. If you have mulitple sources like dvdp, xbox, ps3, PC, etc, then it'll be easier to route everything thru the avr.

uefa_007

Disciple
May 16, 2008
well the difference in the video clarity between a HDMI and composite cable is very very marginal in 32 inch lcd tv !

uefa_007

Disciple
May 16, 2008
zhopudey said:
umm...unless by 'marginal' you somehow mean "huge", you are very very wrong :)

Oopsy sorry mate .. Mentioned it wrongly .. it is Component cable i tried to mean ! :)

I guess the clarity of cables in ascending order of increasing resolutions is :
Composite
S-video
Component
HDMI
Hope i am not wrong with that :) ...

Cheers Mate !

rshri

Adept
Nov 14, 2006
You only need to make two connections -

1) DVD Player to TV - HDMI

2) DVD Player to AV Reciever - Coaxial cable (Normal RCA)

Thats it!