Help with HP recovery manager.

I'm on the same boat with my new G6! I'd usually gone ahead and wiped everything clean but since the 3 years warranty on this baby is so awesome that i don't want to lose to the CC guy over the lack of recovery partition !
I tried searching if there was a way of generating ISO from the recovery manager, found this -
http://nikiink.wordpress.com/2012/0...-recovery-manager-media-creator-iso-creation/
It uses a 'virtual burner' to burn the recovery image to an iso file.
I'll try this out and post results.

In any case, we could just backup the SwSetup folder on the C: drive, download a win 7 iso, make a bootable pendrive, delete ei.cfg, install win 7 basic fresh (format/re-partition), use the product key on the bottom to activate (I have tried this before and it works) and restore everything from SwSetup to get a 'factory' lookalike!

Warranty does not altered by wiping Recovery partition. I have deleted recovery partition from my dv6 and have get it serviced twice without any problem.

Recovery manager is for people who don't understand computers. It is a quick fix for noobs. Back-up data, format entire hard drive, make a 30GB "C: partition and remaining hdd as "D" or more if you want. Save all you data in any partition other than "C"... you'll be good.

^Since I was done a clean install HP recovery manager was also deleted.
Thats the problem na, I am not very confident while doing all this partitioning stuff, so I want to keep this HP Recovery manager drive as a backup, just in case anything goes wrong. Anyway, just have a look at my next post, I have explained the problem clearly. Please suggest me solutions for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Recovery manager is for people who don't understand computers. It is a quick fix for noobs. Back-up data, format entire hard drive, make a 30GB "C: partition and remaining hdd as "D" or more if you want. Save all you data in any partition other than "C"... you'll be good.

I can consider my self to be a noob in all this partitioning stuff. Because I have never done it, on my previous PC and this is my first laptop.

Anyway so I will go step by step here, first please make me solve this dynamic disk problem and then I will take care about changing C drive partition and keeping Recovery as well.

NewPicture-4.jpg

This is how my Disk Management screen appears, I want that I should be able to create an extended partiton of my C drive (like the one i have created, 2GB) so that I can install a new OS and I also want that my HP recovery drive should remain untouched.

NewPicture1-3.jpg

When I try to do something with the 2gb drive, it says the above mentioned.

NewPicture2-4.jpg

If I click Yes then it says the above mentioned, so what should I do now.

You could make only 4 primary partitions and you already have 4 primary partitions. 3 out of 4 are reserved by system for recovery. Now the only available option for you is to delete the recovery partition.

You could make only 4 primary partitions and you already have 4 primary partitions. 3 out of 4 are reserved by system for recovery. Now the only available option for you is to delete the recovery partition.
I really can't afford to delete the Recovery drive, for saving that drive, I am taking so much pain and you are telling me to delete that. Is it fine if I delete HP tools?
BTW I found this thread Solved partitioning problem - Windows 7 Forums but I was not able to understand how the guy solved his problem and he solved it without having to delete any drive or deleting any partition. So there must be a way. Please help me.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay guys, thank you so much for all your help. I am now able to use my current 4 partitions along with some extender partitions of the C drive after converting my C drive into a Logical drive.

But I just have a few questions:
I hope nothing is different, now that my C drive is not a primary drive but a logical one. Does it make my computer a little slower? Because I am feeling a very slight lag.
Secondly will I be able to install windows 8 if I make another extension or partition of my C drive. Will windows 8 be installed in it? I mean I want a dual booting system, with windows 7 and 8 as well.
Thanks

Back