Budget 51-70k Help with new rig purchase

Another important question windows 7 OEM vs retail version which one should i buy.OEM does not hav windows direct support(which i don't use) and its cheaper.Also i've kind of recently discovered that to OC the cpu is not that difficult so can u tell me which one it better asrock z77 ext4 or asusP8Z77 M pro and also could u suggest a cpu cooler.i was thinking of corsair H100. thanks

That is upto you, which version of Windows you want to buy. I think the OEM version has a limited number of installs whilst the retail edition carries no such limitations. So research and read up before purchasing a copy of Windows.

If you want to over-clock the processor, please understand that you need to go in for a processor marked with a -k suffix, e.g. -- Core i5 2500k this will substantially increase cost as the Core i5 3570k is only available in Bangalore area with a decent amount of guarantee and it retails ~15000/-.

Between the two motherboards I will suggest that you stick to the ASUS P8Z77-M PRO. For the CPU cooler the Corsair H100 is a good setup albeit noisy [because of the pump], I suggest that you go for the --
  • Thermalright Silver Arrow ~4000/- OR
  • Noctua NH-D14 ~5500/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

That is upto you, which version of Windows you want to buy. I think the OEM version has a limited number of installs whilst the retail edition carries no such limitations. So research and read up before purchasing a copy of Windows.

If you want to over-clock the processor, please understand that you need to go in for a processor marked with a -k suffix, e.g. -- Core i5 2500k this will substantially increase cost as the Core i5 3570k is only available in Bangalore area with a decent amount of guarantee and it retails ~15000/-.

Between the two motherboards I will suggest that you stick to the ASUS P8Z77-M PRO. For the CPU cooler the Corsair H100 is a good setup albeit noisy [because of the pump], I suggest that you go for the --
  • Noctua NH-D14 ~5500/-

I did check the OEM thing and it seems that in US, builders usually go for this as its cheaper but the problem with oem is that it ties itself to the mobo,small changes like ram or gpu or cpu cooler can be made but if u change your motherboard u'd have to buy a new oem disk.So i think im gonna go for this but i can't find any oem windows 7 home premium version in any of the online portals.by the way Thanks for all the info buddy :hail:

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

• Noctua NH-D14 ~5500/-

should i buy the SSD now or wait for the price to come down a bit i am planning to buy Kingston 64GB SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2/64G 2.5" SATA II Internal Solid State Drive SSD but its a SATA II drive and im not sure how reliable Kingston is. OCZ and Corsair force are good brands but quite expensive at the moment.

i can't find any oem windows 7 home premium version in any of the online portals.

should i buy the SSD now or wait for the price to come down a bit i am planning to buy Kingston 64GB SSDNow V100 Series

Jack OEM copies are not sold online OR by MICROSOFT themselves. When you purchase the computer you will have to request an OEM copy from the shop-owner.

Windows 7 Home Premium shall set you back by ~4000/-

For an SSD I suggest that you wait till prices slip down [OR the Rupee goes up vs. $], as a rule of thumb minimum SSD space that you must have these days is ~90GB OR above. Due to the following reasons --
  • Windows 7 with all its patches and updates will set you back by ~50GB of hard-drive space. Also to make sure other applications should benefit you must install them on the SSD.
  • As a SSD fills up, its performance tapers off, over time if you saturate a SSD the rate at which it shall run out of fresh [reliable and speedy] storage also goes down.
  • SSD prices are sure to come down a bit more towards the start of the next year.

Jack OEM copies are not sold online OR by MICROSOFT themselves. When you purchase the computer you will have to request an OEM copy from the shop-owner.

Windows 7 Home Premium shall set you back by ~4000/-

For an SSD I suggest that you wait till prices slip down [OR the Rupee goes up vs. $], as a rule of thumb minimum SSD space that you must have these days is ~90GB OR above. Due to the following reasons --
  • Windows 7 with all its patches and updates will set you back by ~50GB of hard-drive space. Also to make sure other applications should benefit you must install them on the SSD.
  • As a SSD fills up, its performance tapers off, over time if you saturate a SSD the rate at which it shall run out of fresh [reliable and speedy] storage also goes down.
  • SSD prices are sure to come down a bit more towards the start of the next year.

ok so lets say i install my oem disk on my mechanical drive and probably nxt yr wen i buy SSD can i install and reactivate that oem on SSD??

ok so lets say i install my oem disk on my mechanical drive and probably nxt yr wen i buy SSD can i install and reactivate that oem on SSD??

Not sure about this but I think it should be legit as long as you can explain customer support that.

On that count MICROSOFT's support is good. They are polite and can accurately guide you on the issue. In-fact why do not you call these guys before purchasing the OEM copy to figure out all the advantages and dis-advantages associated with going down this path. Cheerio!!

Hi Frnd,

Have your bought the machine which you have designed...or still in the process..

Can you tell me what is the exact purpose the machine which you are configuring. If you give me some inputs i will have some suggestions from my side too, later you can take your own call, accordingly.. we can just pass inputs to you that's it.. If you have anything to be ask feel free to ask. Where we can talk on point to point ..:yahoo:

hello and welcome to TE.
ok so i haven't bought the machine yet probably will make the purchase nxt month.Since 3570K processor is not available in mumbai i've refrained myself from buying at the moment.Its a gaming rig.And thanks to Alpha 17 all my queries hav been resolved so at the moment im good but if anything comes up i'll let u knw.If u have any suggestions regarding the components that im going for please let me knw.FYI TE is amazing.People over here are really helpful especially the privileged users and they are experienced pc builders so they give u a very educated suggestion.So enjoy your stay and let me knw if u need any help from me.:)

On Lamington Rd. shops you can look at --

* Prime ABGB [has an online portal]
* The E-Lounge a.k.a. The IT Wares [has an online portal]
* hardwire.in {Pune based online store with pan-India shipping}

Sorry going OT, but FYI.. hardwire.in is not Pune based. They are mumbai based e commerce company.

Back