- COOLER-MASTER HYPER 6+

- 2 x WESTERN DIGITAL WD360GB (36.7 GB) in RAID-0

- SEAGATE 250GB 7200.8

- ANTEC SUPER LAN BOY

- BENQ DW1640 BEIGE

- COOLER-MASTER UV 120mm SILENT FAN

- ASUS 6200TC (standby, sic)

- MSI 8x DVD WRITER (old)

Now I am happy at the out-of-stock performance, but a few problems have cropped up. And I need your help as this is the first time I am handling a AMD64 platform.

Issues:

1) The system hangs/reboots with the RAM above or near 210 Mhz (3-3-3-8 1T) (CPU w/ multi 6x and HTT reduced to low levels too)

2) With divider set to 133Mhz and HTT multi @ 4x, the system hangs/reboots witgh HTT > 230 Mhz w/ multi 9.

Does it have anything to do with the shared memory gfx card? I have checked the temps with Everest HE.

@ Stock, the IDLE was 31 C and LOAD was 36C

@ OC (230) the IDLE was 36 C and LOAD was 38 C. Stable SUPER PI and Prime95.

Please help. I will be ruined if I cant overclock this CPU.

Funky can u guide me sometime later?

Thanks and Cheers,

Karan

I'd only have one advice.... Try more vcore.

EDIT: @Rahul: MSI doesn't have the issue of 2T that A8N asus boards do!

@kidoman: What ram is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
he is not increasing the CPU speed .... i think he is trying to detemine the max FSB possible ..... and amx ram speed

i am trying to increase the CPU speed.

the ram is chepo Hynix D43.

will not 1T timing degrade performance a lot? please help.

hey yaar log....

i increased vcore to 1.55 V in bios

230 Mhz seems stable. but any beyond that (even with ram << 200 Mhz) it hangs....... pls help.

Don't know much but as per TE- ram is to be purchased in following priority!!
Twinmos with samsungUCCC chips/ transcend CAS2.5/kingston(avoid):)

Funky and Quady reco the genuine HynixD43 as they hav tested it to take funky's, now Quady's 0517EPAW to 3G i guess!!:)
So it shouldn't be a problem i guess!!

PM Funky to check this thread!! i mean request him coz he's a busy guy!!:)

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Don't know much but as per TE- ram is to be purchased in following priority!!
Twinmos with samsungUCCC chips/ transcend CAS2.5/kingston(avoid):)

Funky and Quady reco the genuine HynixD43 as they hav tested it to take funky's, now Quady's 0517EPAW to 3G i guess!!:)
So it shouldn't be a problem i guess!!

I havent yet got the Ram and CPU from Funky yet so it still belongs to him.

There are fake and original Hynix floating in the market.
AFAIK Orignal Hynix D43 is available at Mnemonics.
Donno about ne other place.

Might be that u got a fake one which is why u r stuck at 210Mhz even at 3-3 -3-8 1T.
Some time we do get shit products which dont OC.

kidoman said:
hey yaar log....

i increased vcore to 1.55 V in bios

230 Mhz seems stable. but any beyond that (even with ram << 200 Mhz) it hangs....... pls help.

What about the memory voltage (VDIMM) ??
increase that to 2.8V and post back ur observations.

well i used to recommend the D43 before the twinmos came into picture in india. Hynix D43 is still good chip and used by many manufacturers of branded RAMs. Problem is finding genuine D43s.

At the moment i will advice to stay cleat of hynix when there are some decent quality ram like Twinmos is available.

Af far as the problem with kidoman goes. i have recommended him to check for bios update. i was reading the thread about this board on Hardocp and many people have complained about this problem with earlier revision bios of this board. Some people even noticed that the PCI frequency was changing when they were overclocking with this board for some odd reason.

Check for that using clockgen.

And update the bios ASAP.

funkymonkey said:
well i used to recommend the D43 before the twinmos came into picture in india. Hynix D43 is still good chip and used by many manufacturers of branded RAMs. Problem is finding genuine D43s.
At the moment i will advice to stay cleat of hynix when there are some decent quality ram like Twinmos is available.
Af far as the problem with kidoman goes. i have recommended him to check for bios update. i was reading the thread about this board on Hardocp and many people have complained about this problem with earlier revision bios of this board. Some people even noticed that the PCI frequency was changing when they were overclocking with this board for some odd reason.
Check for that using clockgen.
And update the bios ASAP.

Man, how is the RAM even a issue. When at HTT 230 Mhz, I have used the 133 Mhz divider, so the RAM is not even close to the 200 Mhz stock speeds.

I have increased the VCORE to 1.55V. But havent tried VDIMM yet. Will do.

As funky said, I am trying to update the bios on that thing ASAP.

Will post back later.

Karan

Nemesis..........

Evidently the 3.3 V bios my MSI-7100NMS has is not compatible with the E6 Venice. Now I have flashed the V 3.7 bios but not done any testing. I will begin a systematic overclocking session once Windows 2003 x64 EE is installed.

@ Funky: Yaar I took your advice and sprung for a XFX 7800GT instead. However I am being quoted Rs 26614/- (all incl) from Delhi (SMC International) I said fine to it. So card should be here with me Saturday.

Hoping to reach 2.8 Ghz (w/ dividers ofcourse.)

Cheers,

Karan

man i am dazed and confused...........

no matter what, the COMP crashes outright as soon as I approach 230 Mhz HTT. Even skipping that range and setting to 245 Mhz does not help. Instant crash?

Whats up guys? Ne bright ideas?

SunnyBoi said:
try HTT mult @ 3X.....

i tried my D43 at 3.0V..nuttin happened :p

omg this is lame...........

there are so many variables that the exact problem is difficult to locate.

i upped the bios to v 3.7 and disabled the IEEE 1394 controller.

then i reached 255 Mhz HTT (and still going) with 166 Mhz divider. At that HTT my RAM was at 209 Mhz. So i thought let me use a higher divider (133 Mhz) and go for ever higher HTT. BAM, it didnt POST with just 1 thing changed. 133 Mhz.

Very strange. Evidently my ram is having trouble running at 133 Mhz. Is there some utility to detect all the settings which can be configured by the SPD ? Like I fix the usually RAS-to-CAS etc to 3-3-3-8-1T but the other things remain at auto cause I dont their values. Maybe they are changing when I setting speed div to 133 Mhz and when I overclock, it is become unstable.

I reached 255 * 9 stable 40 C core temp.

Hope to go more.

Karan

PS: I used a beta bios 5.08B and now i cant reach 240 Mhz HTT also. So many variables!@#!#! I am starting to loose weight......:S :S

I'm guessing whats happening is, your 133 Mhz RAM divider is causing your board to reconfigure the memory for tighter timings. Generally memory that does 2.5-3-3-8 at DDR400 can do tighter timings of 2-3-3-6 at DDR266, and perhaps thats whats happening in your case. You could try a slightly lower 166Mhz RAM divider for starters.

What you could do is grab yourself a copy of A64 Tweaker (http://home.exetel.com.au/codered/A64Tweaker/A64Tweaker_V031.zip), fire it up when you're in Windows and have a look at the timings, if they are indeed tight then you could loosen it up a bit from there.

And yeah, lower the HTT Multi to 3x, make sure vcore has been bumped up, chipset voltage bumped up, disable cool n quiet, up the RAM voltage - 2.8v is perfectly fine for it.

To rule out the CPU having any effect on you going up to higher HTT speeds, you could try lowering the CPU multiplier, and then start notching up the HTT speeds to see if there is any effect.

Clockgen will show you if your PCI/PCI-Ex buses are locked like Funky said. Increase HTT, the PCI buses should stay at their default speed. If it increases, it means your buses arent locked.

EDIT: Just saw your post :p

So, it does look like a possibility that the mem timings are to blame. What you could try is, not change the memory divider/memory timings from the BIOS. Let it run at the defaults. In Windows, when using Clockgen to overclock the HTT .. once you go past the default 200Mhz speed of your memory use A64 Tweaker to drop the memory speed (aka, using a divider). This way your timings will not be affected, and just the memory divider will take effect.

And oh yeah, disable all devices you are NOT using - additional SATA ports, IDE channels, onboard LAN, IR port, etc etc.

Things are starting to get interesting. I reached 2.404 Ghz stable (Prime95 and Super PI) with 267.2 Mhz HTT, multi 9 and divider of 150/200 (thanks for the link to a64tweaker man :D). Vcore is 1.5 V, NF4 Volt = 1.75V and VDIMM = 2.85V. HTT Multi = 3x

If I go higher Prime95 fails immediately. What could be the problem?

I tried this: I set the multi to 8 and was able to push the HTT to around 285 (with 3x HTT Multiplier.) So is the max my CPU can do is 2.4 Ghz ? (Thats like a Ven 3800+ :D)

Pros please comment.

Karan

Back