Help with PC randomly restarting

PC randomly shuts down and starts up immediately with no error messages or anything. So far it has happened twice but there's no issues in anything so how do i narrow it down to which is the faulty part?
PS: it happened today right after i installed new Ram and changed bios ram settings to cl16 from cl17. Could Ram change cause restart?

I believe it is safe to blame the ram setting change to cl17 as a possible culprit. Did the restart happened when it was in cl16? If the problem remains then remove the ram and check, if the pc is stable then you know which component to blame.

I believe it is safe to blame the ram setting change to cl17 as a possible culprit. Did the restart happened when it was in cl16? If the problem remains then remove the ram and check, if the pc is stable then you know which component to blame.
Actually that's the problem, PC is very much stable as it is. I can't find any issues with it at all.
The restart only happened twice so far in it's lifetime. Also it didn't happen right after ram change. I changed ram then bios timing and it booted to desktop, i downloaded and installed cpu z twice then took a photo of cpuz and then it happened. So probably 10-15 minutes after it booted to desktop.

This kinda looks like a mystery though, Did the reboot happen again(after those two instances?)
Just to make sure run a memtest(on cl16 & cl17)(to rule out the memory), and do a stress test on cpu/gpu(to check the temps and psu's ability to push enough power)

PC randomly shuts down and starts up immediately with no error messages or anything. So far it has happened twice but there's no issues in anything so how do i narrow it down to which is the faulty part?
PS: it happened today right after i installed new Ram and changed bios ram settings to cl16 from cl17. Could Ram change cause restart?
Try switching the Slots

This kinda looks like a mystery though, Did the reboot happen again(after those two instances?)
Just to make sure run a memtest(on cl16 & cl17)(to rule out the memory), and do a stress test on cpu/gpu(to check the temps and psu's ability to push enough power)
The second instance was yesterday and it hasn't happened again after that yet. Everything is stable psu, GPU, processor. I haven't checked memory yet but it's new and same restart issue happened when i was running the PC with a different single Ram stick

Try switching the Slots
If it happens again then I'll change slots to 1&3 and check again.

Check event logs and see if you can figure what is causing the reboot.

I have no idea how to decode those, I'll see if i can find anything in that log at that time.
System specs?
Try running TM5 with the 1usmus preset for a quick test to rule out the ram.
3700x
Asus tuf gaming x570 plus
Rtx 3060ti
Antec EA750w

will checkout the ram once but i don't think they're the problem since same happened with another ram.

You didn't mention the memory model number.

Just ensure you are configured within specs in BIOS, select only from the available DOCP drop-down choices and don't tweak any other memory settings?
Use cl17 and not cl16.

If your RAM speed is supposed to be like 3200mhz then don't run 3600 etc

Is it possible for you to post the event viewer log . That might give us some clue
It happened at 5.12pm exactly
20221015_192057.jpg

You didn't mention the memory model number.

Just ensure you are configured within specs in BIOS, select only from the available DOCP drop-down choices and don't tweak any other memory settings?
Use cl17 and not cl16.

If your RAM speed is supposed to be like 3200mhz then don't run 3600 etc
Ya i know these, my previous Ram was cl17 that's why I went to bios and changed to cl16 which it automatically changed then i just saved settings and exit. New memory is 2x crucial ballistix 3600mhz 16-18-18-38

This might point towards Ram or Power Issue . Usually This Rebooting issue Gets Resolved after a few Automatic Reboots , Try a Different Ram Slot and Revert if the issue remains .
Could it be power supply issue since both ram is brand new and same restart happened with old Ram too?
I'll update if it happens again, then will try changing Ram slots.

It happened at 5.12pm exactly
View attachment 148633

Ya i know these, my previous Ram was cl17 that's why I went to bios and changed to cl16 which it automatically changed then i just saved settings and exit. New memory is 2x crucial ballistix 3600mhz 16-18-18-38

Bruh the CL should be set to 38 and not 16 bruhhhh.
Maybe I have it backwards bruh but still try setting higher CL .

Last edited:
Bruh the CL should be set to 38 and not 16 bruhhhh.
Maybe I have it backwards bruh but still try setting higher CL .
38 refers to T-RAS. CL or CAS Latency is the first number in the set of timings.
Could it be power supply issue since both ram is brand new and same restart happened with old Ram too?
I don’t think it’s a RAM issue if it happened with both the old and new sticks. A power issue seems likely if the system is just shutting off and restarting without BSOD or generating events other than power loss. Could be a failing PSU or something else in the power delivery of the motherboard.

First try swapping the PSU if you have a spare unit. If you moved the system around recently look for any loose cables and reseat the GPU or any other PCIe devices. Lastly look for any loose metal bits or debris that might be shorting something inside and causing the PC to reboot. Give it a clean if it’s been a while.

I don’t think it’s a RAM issue if it happened with both the old and new sticks. A power issue seems likely if the system is just shutting off and restarting without BSOD or generating events other than power loss. Could be a failing PSU or something else in the power delivery of the motherboard.

First try swapping the PSU if you have a spare unit. If you moved the system around recently look for any loose cables and reseat the GPU or any other PCIe devices. Lastly look for any loose metal bits or debris that might be shorting something inside and causing the PC to reboot. Give it a clean if it’s been a while.
Thanks, I'm guessing it's a psu issue too but sadly no good spare ones to properly test. I have a old Corsair vs650 or 550 but i don't think that'll be good. Also it's not frequent and i have another 3-4 years warranty on the psu so if it happens again i think I'll just send it for RMA. I'll check everything else as you suggested and clean it once.

Back