Help with Resume and finding a Job

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
Hey guys, can anyone of you point me towards a template of how a resume should look like, I have one, but I'm always looking out for better ones. I'm a fresher btw, just recently passed out.

I am also on the lookout for a job in my core field(B.E. Mechanical). I am placed in TCS and IBM, but don't want to join any one of them as they're not related to what I've studied. I'm looking out for jobs, but there aren't many in core fields except for a few govt. sector ones listed on sites such as freshersworld etc...

Hey guys, can anyone of you point me towards a template of how a resume should look like, I have one, but I'm always looking out for better ones. I'm a fresher btw, just recently passed out.

I am also on the lookout for a job in my core field(B.E. Mechanical). I am placed in TCS and IBM, but don't want to join any one of them as they're not related to what I've studied. I'm looking out for jobs, but there aren't many in core fields except for a few govt. sector ones listed on sites such as freshersworld etc...

i never made a resume before but this would help you

Ps.its better you work there, have a great experience, knowledge and it switch to other companies.
Because companies expect experience worker than the fresher & in your case selecting in IBM is a great experience.

i never made a resume before but this would help you

Ps.its better you work there, have a great experience, knowledge and it switch to other companies.
Because companies expect experience worker than the fresher & in your case selecting in IBM is a great experience.

I don't want to join an IT company, unless it involves my core field in some way. I want to start off either in the Automobile/Manufacturing sectors. Few years down the line I'm thinking of doing a MS/M.Tech from a German Uni, mostly in either Automobile/Aerospace/Robotics, so am looking forward to work experience in such environments. I have already completed 3 levels of German language and am doing the 4th now.

Check out Chetanasforum. They have lots of job offers listed in core sector. But please note that the remuneration is quite low compared to the IT/ITeS companies.

Microsoft Word has some good resume templates. Go to File > New > Microsoft office online > Resume (MS Word 2007)

Check out Chetanasforum. They have lots of job offers listed in core sector. But please note that the remuneration is quite low compared to the IT/ITeS companies.

Thanks, will check them out.

One of my friends got placed in Mercedes-Benz R&D recently, off campus. Didn't even say to me that there was such an opening, even though he knew that I'm searching for a job too and we practically spend half the day together. What a b**ch life now after college.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I think if you go in personal, i don't hope resume matter that much, better prepare much more for GD PI :)

I know sir, but the resume matters too. Our interviewer asks us questions based on our resume, at least he starts off with it. And in core technical jobs there isn't much emphasis on conducting GD.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Microsoft Word has some good resume templates. Go to File > New > Microsoft office online > Resume (MS Word 2007)

Yeah, I know. But I don't know what to put in it :p

General resume tips

1) Maximum 2 printed sides. Ensure the most of the important stuff is on the 1st side.
2) Name, Contact Details (address, email, phone number)
3) Educational Qualifications
a) Listed in order most recent to oldest. List degree-course/college-university/score/year of completion.
b) More information on relevant stuff. List few relevant mechanical engineering courses that you can answer questions on.
c) Mention software/mechanical engineering skills. Only mention stuff that you can answer question about. DO NOT MENTION STUFF YOU BARELY KNOW.
4) Internships
a) Mention company, duration and role.
b) Short description of the work, your specific contribution.
5) Research Papers
a) Mention title, authors and publication/conference.
b) Describe topic and your contribution.
6) Academic Projects
a) List relevant academic projects.
b) Describe the project and your specific contribution.
7) Academic Achievements
a) Mention notable academic achievements - restrict to high school and college levels only.
b) This includes CET rank, college/university rank, scholarship/academic awards won at college/university. DO NOT MENTION GATE/CAT/GMAT scores.
8) Linguistics
a) If you are applying for a job that might involve travel to various linguistic regions, indicate languages you are fluent with. Expect to have a chat with the interviewer in any of these listed languages.
9) Nobody cares about your hobbies (unless related to job), prizes won in kindergarten poem recitations and street cricket championships.
10) You can provide a 1/2 references if you have space to fill up in the 2nd page.

One of my friends got placed in Mercedes-Benz R&D recently, off campus. Didn't even say to me that there was such an opening, even though he knew that I'm searching for a job too and we practically spend half the day together. What a b**ch life now after college

Welcome to the WORLD....
This is just a starting point....

I know sir, but the resume matters too. Our interviewer asks us questions based on our resume, at least he starts off with it. And in core technical jobs there isn't much emphasis on conducting GD.

Some core companies also conduct GD. e.g - CESC Ltd
So also prepare well for GD. It may just come in handy.

A fair warning - if you get into Mech-IT (CAD/ CAE) you will get the double whammy, you will be putting in IT hours and getting Mech salary especially as a fresher :D

TCS has a decent engineering services division, ask the HR rep if that is where you will be placed within the company

General resume tips

1) Maximum 2 printed sides. Ensure the most of the important stuff is on the 1st side.
2) Name, Contact Details (address, email, phone number)
3) Educational Qualifications
a) Listed in order most recent to oldest. List degree-course/college-university/score/year of completion.
b) More information on relevant stuff. List few relevant mechanical engineering courses that you can answer questions on.
c) Mention software/mechanical engineering skills. Only mention stuff that you can answer question about. DO NOT MENTION STUFF YOU BARELY KNOW.
4) Internships
a) Mention company, duration and role.
b) Short description of the work, your specific contribution.
5) Research Papers
a) Mention title, authors and publication/conference.
b) Describe topic and your contribution.
6) Academic Projects
a) List relevant academic projects.
b) Describe the project and your specific contribution.
7) Academic Achievements
a) Mention notable academic achievements - restrict to high school and college levels only.
b) This includes CET rank, college/university rank, scholarship/academic awards won at college/university. DO NOT MENTION GATE/CAT/GMAT scores.
8) Linguistics
a) If you are applying for a job that might involve travel to various linguistic regions, indicate languages you are fluent with. Expect to have a chat with the interviewer in any of these listed languages.
9) Nobody cares about your hobbies (unless related to job), prizes won in kindergarten poem recitations and street cricket championships.
10) You can provide a 1/2 references if you have space to fill up in the 2nd page.

+1 to all of the above. Very nicely put!

Just want to add that you should take the resume as a representation of all that you have done. This does include hobbies that might be pertinent to your new job. For e.g. when I was applying for the position of a Sys Admin, I made a point to include the fact that I used to handle the LAN and OS installation/maintenance for me and my 9 flat-mates. There was quite an interesting discussion on this - how I decided on the network requirements, how I split the internet connections and general troubleshooting that I had to do. The interviewer was quite impressed (and I did get the job). Whatever is relevant to the job you are applying to; do mention if you have done something even close to the profile.

For a fresher's resume, it is very important not to exaggerate but truthfully include stuff - even if you know very little about it. For e.g. you might be familiar with the basics of MS Office. It is better to mention this as "Basics of MS Office" rather than leaving it altogether.

Make sure you know the minutest details about the projects that you write about in your resume.

Re-iterating pt. 7.b. , please do not mention anything about your grand future plans to do MBA or MS; if you have any. Many recruiters try to force it out of you by seemingly innocent questions like "What are your future plans" or "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" or even the very direct "When are you planning to do your MBA?". Be firm and say that you want to establish yourself and become technically sound; no plans of MBA.

Again re-iterating from above, your resume should be within 2 pages. No one has the time to read 4 pages of your "achievements". If you really have 4 pages of worthwhile stuff to share, you will not need to apply anywhere; offers will come to you!

Also, if your interview goes on well, they generally ask if you have any questions. This is a good time to ask "What will be my career path like?" This shows that you are interested in the job and see yourself there in the future too.

Best of luck!

I don't want to join an IT company, unless it involves my core field in some way. I want to start off either in the Automobile/Manufacturing sectors. Few years down the line I'm thinking of doing a MS/M.Tech from a German Uni, mostly in either Automobile/Aerospace/Robotics, so am looking forward to work experience in such environments. I have already completed 3 levels of German language and am doing the 4th now.

Don't wait for "few years down the line" . Trust me. If you plan for higher education start applying right away. Getting a Masters degree will earn you a job closer to your field.

Thanks for the help guys, I have a basic resume set-up now. Any companies you guys can suggest where I might start applying? I am placed in Bangalore.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

A fair warning - if you get into Mech-IT (CAD/ CAE) you will get the double whammy, you will be putting in IT hours and getting Mech salary especially as a fresher :D

TCS has a decent engineering services division, ask the HR rep if that is where you will be placed within the company

Can you suggest any companies in Mech-IT with such job descriptions?

Just to clarify - IT hours = bad, IT salary = good, Mech hours = good, Mech salary = bad :p (a generalization, but it by and large holds)

Mech-IT companies

TCS bangalore ---> talk to the HR, see if they can arrange an interview for a engineering services position.
Tata technologies
Onward technologies (stay away from these guys)
Infotech enterprises
Quest
Any in house design centre of a mech company (tata motors, bharat forge etc)

There are dozens of small startups in engineering services in most cities... and probably hundreds in bangalore itself.

Back