Help! Xp Refuses To Verify Product Key!!

deathdemon89

Adept
Oct 21, 2005
Okay guys i really need help fast.i had a HP Pavilion T250i with two HHDs each of 80 GB,a 2.4 Ghz P4,768 mb of RAM,and Win XP Home.I recently upgraded to an X2 4200+ with 2 gigs of RAM.The problem is,while trying to activate my copy of XP Home with the product key of my last PC,it does not accept it.The message i get while trying to activate the copy is "Wrong Product Key",and it prompts me to retype the key...but no amount of retyping helps,i always get the same msg...I also tried callin those phone numbers to activate it by telephone,but neither of them ever get through!! Any suggestions? :huh:

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
The existing product key won't work...

XP home that goes to OEM vendors is irrevocably tied up to the h/w hash that is generated at installation time...

This h/w hash basically comes frm the snapshot of ur system config ....

The hash-key match is flexi enuff to allow for basic upgrades like RAM/HDD etc. but will not work when u do a mobo/CPU upgrade....

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
try speaking to the phone support guys....

The key is useless but you can sill activate windows by providing the tech support guys the h/w hash and getting the corresponding activation code

there's a site called petri.co.il where you can get the directions for obtaining the hash....

But you'll have to present ur case convincingly....sunno if they''ll relent though

IMHO, if you've paid for a single license of windows, you should definitely have the rights to install it on the m/c of ur choice......

oh well....And then they crib about the rampant piracy :tongue: