Here comes Microsoft Surface (Tablet) !

cooleagle

Adept
Here comes Microsoft Surface 2.0 (Tablet) !

uploadfromtaptalk1340065296353.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1340065371103.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1340065434719.jpg

After days of speculation and rumors, Microsoft's major announcement has just been unveiled at a press event in

Los Angeles: a Surface tablet. We suspected the company might be working on its own tablet, and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer revealed the device on stage at the Milk Studios in Los Angeles today. Discussing Microsoft's history with. Windows, Xbox, and Kinect, Ballmer introduced a video of the company's hardware products over the years before unveiling Windows 8's companion, a Microsoft Surface.

Microsoft's Steven Sinofsky took to the stage to describe thehardware of Microsoft's Surface tablet. There will be two options for Microsoft's Surface PC, one powered by Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge chips running Windows 8 or a Surface powered by an ARM chipset and Windows RT. The Windows RT version is just 9.3mm thin, weighs 1.5lbs, includes a built-in kickstand and is the first PC with a vapor-deposited (PVD) magnesium case, according to Microsoft. It will ship in 32GB or 64GB versions.

Microsoft's Intel-based Surface tablet will run Windows 8 Pro, with a thickness of 13.5mm, a weight of 1.9lb, and USB 3.0 support. This particular version will also include magnesium casing and a built-in kickstand, but will ship with either 64GB or 128GB storage. The Intel version will include additional digital ink support through a pen that magnetizes to the body of the tablet. Both of Microsoft's Surface tablets feature a 10.6-inch display, and optional Touch and Type covers.

Microsoft says suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3094157/new-microsoft-surface-windows-tablet

OT: Scott Lowe from the verge is an ass.

Are all the tech specs out? All Info regarding Steam and XBLA (if both will be present or not) out? Will it connect to app store, google play?

Lets see all of the capabilities first, price points later.

Has USB, because without it there's not much reason to live.

That cover is cool! I liked the Asus transformer this will trump it without a doubt. If it brings Steam and XBLA to the same device this will cause a coup and did what galaxy series phones did to iPhone.

But only if steam and XBLA are available.

Microsoft launches new Surface Tablets.

Microsoft has launched two new "Surface" tablets.
Link: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx
The specs though look impressive not much detailed specs are released so far.
Probably its the first tablet to provide a USB 3.0 port.
Currently two versions are mentioned on their site, but what I am curious about is the price range for these products.
No doubt they will be expensive (>40k INR) but could it be that M$ may sell them at a loss just to increase their market presence in the tablets arena?
These are the specs released so far...
Surface_Specs.jpg

The clip on cover seems to be a copy of the Apple Ipad cover but M$ has gone a step ahead and included a keyboard / track pad on the cover. Cool... It also has a inbuilt stand to rest the tablet on the back side. The keyboard cover is reported to be just 3mm thick.
Need to see if they sell this as an accessory or bundle it free...

@OP: - Should have posted this under 'General Portables' not 'General Talk'.

I just hope they don't fall flat on their face like Blackberry did with the Playbook. Not to mention there are very few takers for Windows Phones. I hope they can market it well.

Help developers unlike the massive phone ****up,price it competitively,dont target the ipad and try to keep a narrow lineup by not creating cheapskate tablets like android.in my opinion,if ms do this, then they will have a decent share in the market.
Xbox integration will be very very interesting and an ace in their hands.

@OP: - Should have posted this under 'General Portables' not 'General Talk'.

I just hope they don't fall flat on their face like Blackberry did with the Playbook. Not to mention there are very few takers for Windows Phones. I hope they can market it well.

Man AFAIR I posted it in the Latest Tech News Section don't know how it got into the General Talk maybe some MOD moved it, but now it's in the right place I guess. :rolleyes:

I think we shouldn't compare it with Playbook buddy. Its pretty well thought out design wise at least, let's see how the windows 8 platform turns out with all the integration & stuff with other devices.

Cheers! :)

^^ Thanks MODS for merging my thread in this.
If M$ does not come out with more specific details too soon... all the hype they created yesterday will soon be lost and forgotten....
Also its no where mentioned by them if these tablets are Microsoft produced or just Microsoft Windows branded.

@cooleagle - onlyravi had started a thread about MS Surface in 'General Talk' section. That thread was moved and merged with your thread.

MS Surface.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical MS move - wait for someone to develop a successful product and make incremental improvements and tie up everything with Office & Windows.

The keyboard is a sure shot differentiator.

This was bound to happen, Apple will be consigned to their niche market and will be #3 in the market share.

When it plays both steam games and XBLA games it will automatically go 1up on iPad. Mark my words.

First of all,to go one up on the ipad,ms has to sell this device 1 every 1 second to beat the momentum of apple who are selling their ipad 1nce every 2 seconds.
Secondly they have to bring a better product to the market,not a modified pc.the software will be pounded and written for most of the clones(if thats their licensing target) which looking at the windows phones hasn't been really a smart move on their part.android has faltered exactly because the software isn't peaked for the tablet and hopefully,ms dont repeat that mistake.
There is a silly notion with non tablet users that people simply clone the work they do on their laptops on their ipad,which is pretty laughable and shows ignorance about the products capabilities.(mostly developed due to apple hate)
As for your comment about games - ipad owns the arcade gaming scene.simply put it blows away the numbers of both steam and xbox live combined,so your belief that 'games' are going to be an ace in ms's armor is misplaced.
However i do feel positive about this product as a competitor for dell and sony.remember the term 'ultrabooks' ? This is where surface will make a dent.sony and dell are feeling the heat and rightly so because the target customer resembles to theirs.
The surface overselling/owning/beating the ipad resemble to the ones made during the kindle fire launch.
Its a good product,thats about it.

Wrong! Again if it still hasn't gone through, IFF it has Steam and XBLA BOTH it will outsell everything, provided they don't price it insanely.

There is no misplaced notion here. So what if iPad "owns" the arcade scene? you have PC games and XBLA games on the same device, are you still suggesting that's not revolutionary? Just like Android took apple's market things can turn around.

Misplaced notion here is that it will compete in ultrabook segment, sure, but with Viva Pinata/Sine Mora and Civilization installed, beat that.

Again IFF Both Steam and XBLA are available.

I'm quite aware that windows phones sales specially before the launch of Lumia did not even beat Bada phones.

I can only see Apple falling behind with PlaystationMobile initiative bringing PSN games to new playstation certified smartphones.

But then sheep will be sheep.

Back