Highest Rainfall in Indian History

NeXgeN

Disciple
mumbai has become ocean in 24 hrs. highest rainfall in indian history 37.1 inches.
thousands stranded in office....half the ppl have no power at homes (i m one of the lucky ones with power and internet) schools, colleges closed....most of the offices shut....trains not working...airports shut till 4 pm . total chaos here. navy called .... using rafts to move about in certain areas.....rain has stopped just now after 30 hrs. i m sure city will be back to normal soon :hap2:

good news...rains stopped...trains have also started now. though no TV yet.
i came back home walking for an hour and swimming for half hr :D
anyways hope everything is back to normal soon.

was literally ROFL seeing aamir khan stuck in traffic :rofl:

yeah..take care guys....looks like mumbai is recovering fast.....

The last 36Hrs have been worse ! My frnds dad had been stuck in his south mumbai office for nearly 24Hrs. All the places mostly suburbs were submerged completely. No net connection, no mobile network working !

^^STuck in college (NMIMS, Santa Cruz). I left college on Tuesday evening, 9 of us. We went to drop the girls back to their hostel, 2KM away. Took us 2 hours to get there, it was insane. Driving wind, water up to our waists. So many cars submerged - Mercs, BMWs, Zens, you name it. Went in chest deep water, dropped the girls off at the hostel. Got invited inside :), and no light, water or food. Few cellphones to go around, Reliance networks were the only ones operational. Stayed the night in the common room, woke up, we could see a BEST bus and HOnda City in front of the hostel. The City was completely submerged,BEST bus had water up to the windows. We went and broke open a Bisleri van, swimming through chest deep water.Got out a LOT of fresh water, got it back into the hostel. Left after that, maasi's house in Andheri. No electricity there till evening, but we got food, which was nice! Got home today, messed up 2 days...

I m worried for a friend who lives in santacruz and i havent got thru to calling him. Fone lines dead for the last 30Hrs or so !

I hope the rest of the TE members in mumbai r safe !

ya darn rains really screwed up poeple`s life big time...
the western express highway looked like it was hosting the unofficial mumbai marathon... :p ...
there was 6 feet water at andheri market ... couldnt go beyon that anyways ..as there was lots of water at jogheshwari and goregoan . SV road is all torn apart in some areas, if my mom is to be believed. ...
getting back to my house was a challanget too.. had to walk from vileparle to jogeshwari east and when i get here. dman 10 feet high water :( :( :(. and i cant get through.. even though i`m 2 meters away from my building :( :(.. the whole groundfloor was submerged :( . has to ive with 2 aunties in the chawl.. which was`nt all that bad. but they kept chattign all night long . and i wished i had drowned in the flood :D..
there are also lots of shops that have been destroyed.. esp al the food grain shops :( :( .. everyone better stock up food grians for the next few days :) ..
i pray that the city comes back to normalcy.... soon :D..

according to reports, 944.2mm rainfall in a single-day in santa cruz, mumbai :O
watched the special report on ndtv last night. the airport runway submerged and vehicles under water. tats terrible.

I hope all TE members at mumbai and rest of maharashtra are safe and back to normal life :)

Ok.... a small update.... this is NOT the highest rainfall in India. This is 8th highest rainfall...

Chek todays Times Of India.

And all these freak rains are a result of changing global weather patterns. 4( or was it more??) hurricanes in the US --- Emily, Dennis, Charlie, etc.. and this sort of rain in Mumbai, rain in Gujarat, heat wave in France.

All due to global warming and changing weather patterns across the world due to pollution.

Most horrible experiences in my life.
I was in Andheri West - many ppl know what exactly happened in Andheri.
I was like half submerged in water while walking.

Day:- Tuesday From 3pm
- Was in college till 3pm and we all requested our professors to leave us but they did
not leave us , we requested them at 3:30 sir its enuf now plz leave us.
Our college quadrangle had become a swiming pool.

- then i just tried to get out of my college and to my surprise found that my college
had itself become a swiming pool later i tried to come out the whole college campus
was filled with water.

- some how i tried to get out the college campus it was raining like hell.

[College Pics i will add later]

I came at the bus stop [Indian OIL] it was still raining non stop i was a bit worried now no bus
and just 1 bus came it was like full.[No bus was there to take me to mu home
from andheri to malad]

- i just then decided that i will go to my cousins place in andheri. the water was till then gone above my knees it was very hard to walk after walking for like 45mins reached my cousins place in Andheri R.T.O.

- At arond 5:30 i reached my cousins place , later i remembered that my sis is too
in college we are in the same campus . now i was really worried that my sis has not
yet made home. at around 6 i got a call from my grandma that my sis is still wating
at the indian oil bus stop till then water level had increased to waistline.

- my sis was with her friends so was least worried , my mom stayed in office in churchgate i advised my mom that its better to stay in office they had food and water
there

- later on tuesday at around 8:00pm my mom called from office at my cousins place
to go and check my sis at indianoil bus stop then at arounf 8:15, it was very dark and
so many cars lying in between the road and later the water was also flowing at high
speed i donno how i was walking my legs were automatically flowing with the water
currents and then asking in every bus that was stnding for if my sis was there after no
luck finding my sis we decided that she will be fine with here friends after searching
her for about 4hrs we came back home. by the time we returned home our legs
were completely gone paining like hell and we had so many cramps in our legs.

- wednesday afternoon my sis gave me a call she was literally crying while telling
me what horrible exp. she had how did she spent here night later she walked home form andheri to malad , i told here relax and go to sleep. my dad was at marine lines stn only he stayed there later on wednesday he
some how managed to reach home wednesday morning.

Now i just came home from my cousins place and am typing here the whole exp.

god no more rains like this in future please.
My cell was also got wet and was not funtioning i thought , |"gaya mera Nokia 3650"

Then suddenly it started working now and i was very happy.

I also had my GRE Exam on the 27th but i luckily postponed it 7days ago.

I really sympathise with all you people.... but let me be honest here....

since I have not experienced it first hand, all these stories seem exciting. No offence meant to any of you. Please. It is juts that I find it exciting. Walking home through waist deep water and all that. But I totally understand your fear abt family members and all.

It is just that I find it exciting seeing that I have not experienced it first hand.

On a lighter note, anybody tried ordering from Domino's Pizza??

30minutes nahi to free lol.....

Nikhil said:
Ok.... a small update.... this is NOT the highest rainfall in India. This is 8th highest rainfall...

Chek todays Times Of India.
highest rainfall in india in a day 24 hrs in 37.1 inches mumbai.

@Quad Master good to hear everyone in ur family reached home safely......it was a horrible day....luckily in my family my bro came home early abt 3 p.m and mom,dad were at home only . only i had a problem but reached home walking at abt 7 p.m. kudos to all the locals in sion,kurla and other suburbs for giving food,water and helping ppl get through this calamity .rains have stopped now....hope mumbai returns to normalcy soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back