Home security and other general automation

rdst_1

Skilled
So, since my move to my farm, I have been wanting to do some basic automation as well as install security cameras. I hadn't delved into this because of my internet situation. However, now that I have stable internet, as well as the construction of the first floor has begun, I would like to learn more about what all can I do both in either DIY form or via products available in the market.
I am mainly confused as to which security cameras to use. It is important I use reliable components and good night performance is very important. Although I can run wires but I would really like if the whole setup is wireless. However if that turns to be too expensive to make sense, then I guess wired setup is what I will have to be content with.
I was hoping to use wireless cameras because the ones from TP Link and DLink also work as range extenders, hence I can solve 2 issues with one solution. However they don't seem to be capable of working in outdoor situations which is another necessary condition.

TDLR - I am interested in everything from smart locks to automatic water tank fillers. Just want to know about experiences of you guys on TE.

If you are going with less than 10 cameras, wireless would make sense. However, more than that, and you should go with wired. Another thing you need to understand is that you need to supply power to the cameras, so there would be a wire going there. It may be easier to use wired.

If you have budget constraints, go with analog cameras, else IP based. With IP based cameras, all you need to run is a CAT6 cable to each camera from a PoE switch. I also helped with one CCTV vendor to implement a strategy for putting cameras on rent as baby monitors with almost 100% privacy and nearly foolproof security.

Automation, this is something I have worked on, but theoretically. Using location based services with BLE, we had a complete project which would be part car and part home automation, with human safety utmost, and making life easier next.

Any one who has used can tell about good IP cameras for home security . No commercial usage but good camera & not touching the moon in prices
And a good POE router/switch

Since the construction is still underway, I guess, running wires shouldn't be an issue. Do I need to run separate pipes for CAT cables and if yes, then is there any shielding needed from the electric cables. I don't think I would be needing more than 8 cameras but if running cables gets me good cameras at reasonable prices, then that seems to be the better option.

Is anybody on the forum using turnkey solutions like Samsung smarthings, Amazon Echo or other similar choices available on the market.

Any one who has used can tell about good IP cameras for home security . No commercial usage but good camera & not touching the moon in prices
And a good POE router/switch

That is a paradox. Most of them have some backdoor or the other. Ensure that you put it behind a firewall and restrict access using ACL. That would be the best.

Camerawise, Dahua, CP-Plus and Hikvision are more or less the same. I don't see massive benefits to buying one over the other. VFM would be CP Plus, I think.

PoE switch - We have bought a 4 port Netgear and working well. If you want to save some cash, then go for PoE injectors, they should be about 150-200 for a pair - you need only one of the pair, but then, its sold as a pair. Use any Gigabit switch for connecting the injectors to the switch and get a good SMPS to power the cameras.

Since the construction is still underway, I guess, running wires shouldn't be an issue. Do I need to run separate pipes for CAT cables and if yes, then is there any shielding needed from the electric cables. I don't think I would be needing more than 8 cameras but if running cables gets me good cameras at reasonable prices, then that seems to be the better option.

Is anybody on the forum using turnkey solutions like Samsung smarthings, Amazon Echo or other similar choices available on the market.

Wired works much cheaper than wireless - quality wise. But wireless allows you to change positions and check. Choose.

Go for wireless automation only (cameras, video-door-phones, tank monitors and everything). Can't suggest you any camera makes as my knowledge is now outdated.

While building our home in gawaargaon, we spent a lot of money in laying network/telephone/TV cables etc, keeping scalability in mind. Everything started to crumble within a year because of lousy construction by gawaar builders and too much sunlight/heat. Each and every item was from renowned brands. I like concealed construction, so didn't fix the cables afterwards.

I think wired installations work fine inside commercial buildings where the temperature doesn't fluctuate much. Homes have too much difference between inside and outside temperatures. You'll always be facing issues at the connecting/end points. Also, many cables = many issues.

Wired video monitors catch interference pretty easily. You can shield them upto an extent. And you can't eliminate the fault 100% without moving the cables to some new location. Such issues waste too much time.

Wireless is going to cost you too much but it's reliable and less problematic.

Right now, our wired video-doorbell is just a gaping hole. Wired gate lock attached to door monitor has also gone kaput. Wired auto tank filler is in-operational as some cable got disconnected inside some inaccessible area. A costly water softener attached to tank filler got busted on the very first day. Thanks to gawaar installers.

If you plan to go wireless, make sure you have plenty of power outlets at every imaginable place... even near the roof. I got this done just after the house was completed. That means we had to pay double the money in re-plastering and repainting. But this is going to pay off in future. I am going to build my own wireless stuff whenever I have time. The only thing I'd need is power sockets at the right places.

So, I will be needing only outdoor cameras. I have decided to go for wireless ones for the outside of the house. These will connect with the home wi-fi.
For the dairy farm, I will go for a separate wired setup as I don't mind wires running around over there. Will probably go for a shielded CAT setup over there and more expensive but better image quality PTZ cameras.

For doorbell, the wireless cameras chosen will have 2 way audio capabilities and so no need for a separate display setup.
For necessary home automation, I might go DIY way with arduino and the likes. First project would be ambient color changing lights for stairs with motion detection. Since stairs will be built at the end, I have some time available to procure the hardware and do some testing before installation.

For the dairy farm, I will go for a separate wired setup as I don't mind wires running around over there.
That makes sense. Wired setup is more manageable on a farm than inside the house.

For DIY, you can get WiFi and Bluetooth modules in bulk from Chinese sites for full automation.

and still no pics -_-
We are still in the construction phase mate. I promise I'll update this thread with pics once work is finished. Till then I hope these pics
are enough.
8c5ab77f97acfbcca6e94c2f4d59431e.jpg

3ab4978f57e95f99304f16b915d1c18e.jpg

a4b44348d34ec801f84fd659afe3d3fa.jpg

61378f188fcc4a133c5dc6b6df70aa81.jpg

62df5860eed37a3eef1cd075c58fd655.jpg

We are still in the construction phase mate. I promise I'll update this thread with pics once work is finished. Till then I hope these pics
are enough.
8c5ab77f97acfbcca6e94c2f4d59431e.jpg

3ab4978f57e95f99304f16b915d1c18e.jpg

a4b44348d34ec801f84fd659afe3d3fa.jpg

61378f188fcc4a133c5dc6b6df70aa81.jpg

62df5860eed37a3eef1cd075c58fd655.jpg

Thats ****ing awesome. I can still see your trusty old palio there.
I promise to visit you soon man. What place? Himachal Or Uttarakhand?

Godrej has some biometrics enables door locks & for lightning u should use rs485 / modbus Lightning controller so that u can control them via single master. Arduino can be used with wifi/bluetooth but again price will be high.
For your dairy farm u can build a auto feeding system & real time temperature monitoring /regulation easily with industrial grade PLC , HMI & VFD's .....

@rdst_1
The picture second from last reminded me of that shot from Brokeback Mountain. The moment I saw this pic, that humming guitar track from the movie rushed back.

Thanks for uploading them man!

Where we can get wireless cameras for security...?
The only truly wireless camera that I have come across is the Netgear Arlo as it runs on batteries. All other options will need a power source to run, but will transmit data over internet using Wi-Fi.
All such options are available across all major e-commerce portals. I'll most probably buy from Amazon if I don't find a cheap alternative in Chandigarh as I have tested their delivery service for my village and it is acceptable.

Back