Audio Home Theater System [budget 40K]

quixand

Skilled
Hi,

One of my friends is planning on buying a home theater system for the mentioned budget.

The one he has shortlisted is Sony HT-DDW5500.

Is there any other system which is a better buy at this price?

Friend is based in Lucknow so if possible please suggest good dealer?

TIA.

Not sure about the Lucknow scene, but still here's the recommendation assuming you can source them somehow.

40K is a fine little budget to start with. You can consider the

1. Denon 1311 receiver (~18 K) + JBL Cinema 200 (~25K) /SCS 140 (~15K)

2. Denon 1311 receiver + Polk Audio RM 6750 (~26K)

3/4. Marantz NR1501/1601 (~20K) with any of the above speaker packages.

I'd highly recommend getting an audition done before investing your hard earned 40K. It'll be better if you pick the receiver/speaker that you like most and then combine with the other part receiver/speaker to find the best match.

Thanks a ton for the info, and yes He has auditioned the Sony System and is pretty sold on it (for now), but mentioned he'd check out Denon, too. So these combinations should be good.

sorry for hijacking this thread.. but felt the question was relevant..

is the combination of the Yamaha rx397 + NS-P285 speakers worth 30K?

one local dealer is offering this package.. he is also offering the same speakers with the denon 1311 for 31K..

i did not bargain.. but wanted to check here in the forums before dealing any further..

i liked the sound signature of the yamaha reciever more.. even though it is pretty basic in terms of connectivity..

please let me know if this is a good buy and how much i should bargain for?

Parix said:
sorry for hijacking this thread.. but felt the question was relevant..

is the combination of the Yamaha rx397 + NS-P285 speakers worth 30K?

one local dealer is offering this package.. he is also offering the same speakers with the denon 1311 for 31K..

i did not bargain.. but wanted to check here in the forums before dealing any further..

i liked the sound signature of the yamaha reciever more.. even though it is pretty basic in terms of connectivity..

please let me know if this is a good buy and how much i should bargain for?
Anybody?

could use your suggestions here?

sarang said:
Sarang where did you find those rates for the NR1501/1601 AVRs? I am dead sure the 1601 will be 25k+ in the grey. I was quoted 25k for the 1501 almost a year back but I am assuming the prices dropped now.

A friend got a 1501 from alpha at about 21K in March. Will ask him again. My bad with the 1601, forgot to add the /(~25K) :p

quixand said:
Hi,

One of my friends is planning on buying a home theater system for the mentioned budget.

The one he has shortlisted is Sony HT-DDW5500.

Is there any other system which is a better buy at this price?

Friend is based in Lucknow so if possible please suggest good dealer?

TIA.
I have the Sony HT-DDW5500 and they are pretty good.

sarang said:
A friend got a 1501 from alpha at about 21K in March. Will ask him again. My bad with the 1601, forgot to add the /(~25K) :p
Awesome thanks for the update! My bonus is due this month-end. Time to visit Alpha I suppose. :eek:hyeah:

Been craving for this awesome small AVR! Retails in the US for just 380USD. :(

Gannu said:
Awesome thanks for the update! My bonus is due this month-end. Time to visit Alpha I suppose. :eek:hyeah:

Been craving for this awesome small AVR! Retails in the US for just 380USD. :(
Tell me about it mate! :( Waited and waited for this to be available at reasonable prices last year, and finally settled for the 1611 instead. The 1611 is a little gem for movies n games but seriously pedestrian with music.

hellgate said:
^^^ congrats to your friend.
BTW how much did he get it for?
Sorry didnt see your post, he got it for 43 grand.
Lucknow it seems has goods at a higher price, because this guy is pretty decent at bargaining.

Gannu said:
Bump! Sarang, did you confirm the pricing of the NR 1501 with your friend?

Sorry forgot to update this thread. Yup it was 21K (Gray)! Lets hit Alpha this weekend Gannu. Will prolly get one for a friend too.

sarang said:
Sorry forgot to update this thread. Yup it was 21K (Gray)! Lets hit Alpha this weekend Gannu. Will prolly get one for a friend too.
Errrm me? I am at Surat! :ashamed:

Could you enquire the pricing and confirm it? Will ask a friend to pick one up for me! And I am assuming it is the 220-230V version and not the 110V which retails in the US?

Gannu said:
Errrm me? I am at Surat! :ashamed:

Could you enquire the pricing and confirm it? Will ask a friend to pick one up for me! And I am assuming it is the 220-230V version and not the 110V which retails in the US?

Hmm I thought you are gonna be in Mumbai for the meet. Will go and check it myself and let you know.

^No man. I wish I could make it. I have no paid leaves now. Exhausted everything ever since I fell sick last time and got myself hospitalised. :'(

I wanted to attend the meet badly!

Hi..m also planning to buy a home theater system...Since this thread is the same as wat i was going to post...here's my query -->>

hows this Denon DHT-1312XP set..buying it from newegg @ 399 USD (approx Rs. 20800) ? or shud I go for the individual setup as mentioned by Sarang... ??

sarang said:
Not sure about the Lucknow scene, but still here's the recommendation assuming you can source them somehow.

40K is a fine little budget to start with. You can consider the
1. Denon 1311 receiver (~18 K) + JBL Cinema 200 (~25K) /SCS 140 (~15K)
2. Denon 1311 receiver + Polk Audio RM 6750 (~26K)

I'd highly recommend getting an audition done before investing your hard earned 40K. It'll be better if you pick the receiver/speaker that you like most and then combine with the other part receiver/speaker to find the best match.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also please check out India JBL and see if there is any good package....

Back