How bad was your first computer purchase?

unixguru

Disciple
I got my first computer about 10 years ago. I was in 10th standard that time and had zero clue. My father was completely bought up by Intel's marketing, more mhz. mean better and ended up buying the then state of the art P4 1.5 Ghz/ Intel 850 GB motherboard and 128 MB RD RAM (800 Mhz.). It also came with the super fast 16 MB riva TNT2 M64 graphics accelerator! The entire thing costed an amount which I am even ashamed to mention. In about 6 months time I got hooked on to Anandtech and realised how I could have got a much better AMD rig for much lesser, and how the Riva TNT2 M64 was destroyed by the Geforce 3/Geforce 4 cards. What was your first purchase and how bad was it?

Mine was great, fastest in line, spanking new P4 1.6GHz, 128MB(later 256MB), XP leaked Beta i guess, Riva TNT2 graphics. man..i was happy

Mine was in 1999. It was p3 450mhz, 32mb ram, 4gb hdd, some via 4mb (?) vid card, 14" flickering headache inducing crt.

There were games which required 64mb ram.. so after much cribbing i bought 32mb additional ram.

I played NFS3 on it, and man i really love that game even now.. better than COD5 i say.. sometimes simplicity is all that i need in a game..

Mine was in 1997-98 I think... It was P2 333MHz (OC'd to 340MHz :bleh:), Don't remember the mobo chip but it was some mercury mobo with AGP slot, 128mb ram, SiS 6326 AGP card with 8MB vram, Creative Sound-blaster card, 15" psudo-flat screen monitor and 4GB hard-drive. The whole shazam costed about 51k, so I guess it was pretty good deal for the times.... guess, the 2 months of research and visiting different computer shop was worth the pain. :)

Year: 2002 - P4 1.8 GHz / 40 GB / 256 MB / and rest of the items from Frontech.. that bloody a$$hole gave me frontech mobo, speaker, kb, mouse and what not..

I paid a good amount to get this config: P4 2.4GHz, Intel D845 GVSR, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Sony Optical Drive, FDD, 17" Samsung CRT monitor, Logitech KB and mouse, and Creative 5.1 speakers. Around 45k to be precise. All this in 2005. :(

^^ u got screwed i guess... 45k is awww too much..

I got screwed in 2006 with another P4(i still wasn't introduced to tech much, it happened late 2006)

Mine was epic

i was around 3 yrs old and i think in the beginning i had only DOS

then a couple of years later win 98

the processor must have been p1

i dint knew anything except playing DAVE,SKY,LIONKING,WOLF and ALLAN BORDER'S CRICKET oh and yeah NFS 1,2 and 3 also

i used to bring all my friends to my room and what a mess it was

most embarrasing moment would be i was afraid to play wolf 3d alone so when i wanted to play that i used to call someone or the other :p

comp@ddict said:
^^ u got screwed i guess... 45k is awww too much..

I got screwed in 2006 with another P4(i still wasn't introduced to tech much, it happened late 2006)
Pretty much so. Those were the times I was unaware of the concept of online forums.

logistopath said:
I paid a good amount to get this config: P4 2.4GHz, Intel D845 GVSR, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Sony Optical Drive, FDD, 17" Samsung CRT monitor, Logitech KB and mouse, and Creative 5.1 speakers. Around 45k to be precise. All this in 2005. :(
i paid 23k for the same combo at same time....

sumonpathak said:
i paid 23k for the same combo at same time....
The problem was, every computer shop in my place quoted near about the same price for that config. There was little I could choose from. Computer shops were looting customers especially in non-metros at that time. Online shopping was pretty much non-existent; and internet banking - what was that?

Mins was an AMD Athlon 1 GHZ, with 80 GB HDD and 256 mb or ram... in 2005? Costed around 22k if i am not wrong. After that used to play Roadrash and motocross madness 2 demo all day long !!!

Mine was a 486 60 MHZ, with 4MB of RAM, 650 MB HDD, running DOS + Windows 3.1. :ashamed:

Paid some 16k in the year 1996 I think.

Also, after a few months, upgraded to 8 MB of RAM to run Windows 95. :ashamed:

Was fun those days, playing Wolf 3D and Brian Lara Cricket after school. :eek:hyeah:

My first comp was a Celeron 500 bought in late '98 served me well until I got a laptop in 2007. Seems now the mobo for this system has gone kaput and if I get my lazy ass to fix it I can still use it for few more years.

So overall I recovered every penny invested in it :ashamed:

i have my first rig after my 12th and the year was 2005. my father bought it from my brother who have business of assembling computers from very long time.

At that time my rig was P4 2.4ghz (processor having pin), and mercury motherboard which may be 845, 15" samsung syncmaster monitor, 256mb of ddr1 RAM original simmtronics which also have some cover over it, 40 gb of samsung puma hdd, a sony fdd, a samsung cd writer, quantum 2.0 speakers, and the keyboard was samsung, and the mouse was of logitech. All this for 28k or 29k.

my dad bought first computer arnd 94..i was in 3rd class that tym.......it was an epic computer black and white screen which was running on windows 3.1...here are the details.

Processor: 80386 processor

Memory: 3MB + RAM

Drive 14MB Hard disk drive space

floppy disk .....

Back