How bad was your first computer purchase?

My first purchase was not at all good.Back in 2005 when in class 3 my father bought a pc for me . A colleague of my father told that branded once's are much better than assembled ones:chair:.No one in my house knew about pc so got a HCL branded pc.

Intel p4 2.66ghz , ASUS P5GE-TVM series mobo which had the 845GE series chipset , 128Mb RAM , 40GB HDD , CD R/RW AND DVD R , HCL HCM780M 17' CRT.

ALSO BOUGHT A microtex UPS , canon IP1000 Printer and samsung pleomax 2.1.

Costed 33.5k

Last week went to my friend's house and saw him playing a NFS Shift 2 unleashed on amd sempron 2800+ and 9500GT which he had purchased a month after me got quite embarrased

Good thing for me I am in the course of an upgrade with a strategy of buying 1-2 components every month:cheers:

Mine was 333 Hz, 16 MB RAM, 4 GB HDD, Zebronics CRT Monitor, dont know how much it costed should have been around 33K around 13 Years Ago

My first pc was in 2002 the great cerabra was the brand consisting of & big noob in computer
P 3-800 mhz, mercury 810 mobo,32mb video accelerator,128 mb ram,20gb hdd, dvd rom & 14" monitor.
Next came hcl ezee bee in 2006 at that time knew something about computers which had
P 4 2.8 ghz, asus 865mobo which spent half of its warranty period in service centre,128 mb ram, 40gb hdd, dvd writer & 15"monitor.
Then came my current rig in 2008 although I'm a mech engineer was aware of the latest computer hardware.it was a lifetime experience as my pc vendor was really pissed off due to my requirements according to him nvidia 9500gt graphics card & p 45 mobo(without videooutput) doesn't even exist as they were phased out as he haven't heard of it & finally convinced him by showing them in manufactures website & took him 15days to get all the components.

It was 1995, 80486 CPU, 4MB RAM, 120MB HDD, 2 Floppy drives :D uber stupid b/w display, i still keep it in the shoe drawyer. The motheboard had hell lot of jumpers and IDE ports. Expandability used to matter as it still does. costed 50k, no grief.

harshit143 said:
my first purchase was in 2000 , when my dad and my business accountant asked for a PC for doing tally work..

So, blindly my dad followed him as he was regarded as a real geek and under his guidence my dad bought (got assembled) the first PC in which the accountant also earned a big commission from the retailer x( ...

It was P3 1.1 Ghz

Some shitty mobo i dont know

20Gb HDD

125W PSU

CD reader

Floppy drive

128mb sdram

At that time i was in class 3rd or 4th and i was the first person in my class to own a PC , a showoff gadget for me...

I still have that PC
You were in class 3rd in 2000 & you are 31years old in 2011 ??

The pc my dad bought in 2000 was pretty good. It had an AMD Athlon 800mhz, 128mb sd ram, 20gb hdd, 8mb graphics, floppy drive, philips 17" monitor, creative speakers, headphones n mic, hp 640 printer. Windows 98 was installed and I spent a hell lotta time playing Street Fighter 2, Unreal, Rollcage, Half Life. Used to play with powerpoint and paint too. Man...the win98 sounds still bring back memories of good times.
This one lasted till 2007 where I got a C2D E6300, Intel 946GZIS, 2GB DDR2. Then it was hellooo NFS Most Wanted, Gta San Andreas, F.E.A.R, etc

Mine was P4 3.00 Ghz, Intel Desktop motherboard don't the chipset but it has inbuilt ATI graphics, Ram 256 MB , a shit cabinet, and very noisy SMPS,DVD combo drive which only reads the DVD but can't do any writing, it cost me around 35k in 2006 and sell it only 6k really guys wish i can kick their a**..:chair:

Mine was an HCL beanstalk bought in Jan 2003, It had a P4 2.0 ghz, 128 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, a 17 inch monitor, Intel integrated graphics, an epson printer and original Win XP Home edition:p . The mobo didn't even have an AGP slot so I couldn't upgrade the graphics card. It cost us around 60K:ashamed:

I got my first computer about 10 years ago. I was in 10th standard that time and had zero clue. My father was completely bought up by Intel's marketing, more mhz. mean better and ended up buying the then state of the art P4 1.5 Ghz/ Intel 850 GB motherboard and 128 MB RD RAM (800 Mhz.). It also came with the super fast 16 MB riva TNT2 M64 graphics accelerator!

Haha .. damn same config .. P4 1.5 - Intel 850 MD Mobo - Riva TNT2 (although it was 32 GB) and the 128 MB RD RAM (800 Mhz)

It was impossible to upgrade coz of the super high cost of those RAMs...

Other rigs .. Cyrix MII - 550 Mhz - Intel 815i Mobo with onboard 8 MB graphics + 64 MB RAM + 10 Gig HDD

This was the time when Win XP first came out .. I had to strip it down to the core to run in on that system.

i dont remember the exact year but it should be 1998-1999 , it was a

intel celeron 500 mhz , pc partner motherboard with 32mb ram , 10 gb hard disk , onboard SiS graphics and some audio chipset i dont remember .. ??

it was assembled and it came with age of empires trial game which i got addicted to (the trial version addiction !) and as a kid i didn't knew that i could get its full version somehow .. i thought that day maybe after 5 years i could get it somehow donno from where but i must get it somehow !! others were motocross madness and midtown madness <3 !!

i still remember the 'dhobook' sound from the underwater theme of windows 98 !! loved to watch videos on encarta encyclopaedia !!

those were the days !!

My 1st PC experience tops just about everyone else's!!!!

Parents felt it was time they invested in our first PC in 1999. I was excited and wanted to find out what would be the best rig out there. Asked a coupla friends and one guy happened to be a grade A douchebag. Told me that his computer with a P3 500Mhz was the best and tried convincing me it was too expensive for someone like myself to afford. Well i was young, naive and i didn't realize he was browbeating me. So i spoke to my parents about the douchebag's config that i scribbled on a piece of paper and surprisingly they agreed to get me the exact same config! I was the happiest bugger on the planet when i heard that!

Here's the config:

CPU: P3 500Mhz Slot-Type Processor

RAM: 128MB SDRAM(douchebag's had 64MB)

MOBO: Mercury 440BX(Intel 810E Chipset)

GPU: Nvidia Riva TNT2 16MB(douchebag's had a 4MB Voodoo)

HDD: Seagate 10GB

PSU: 150W

CD Drive

Floppy Drive

56.6Kbps V.90 Dial-Up Modem

And to make it extra special my mom bought me my very 1st game: Mobil 1 Rally Championship!! :cloud9:

So i invited all of my friends over to check out my PC including douchebag who tried his best to beat me down again by complaining about my tacky keyboard and mouse were. Again i didn't understand and thought he was just being himself. Only later on i figured out he was a douchebag. I even lent him my copy of Mobil 1. And turns out his 4MB GFX card was simply not good enough since it lagged. He cried about it to his mom and they immediately went ahead and upgraded his PC's CPU only for Rs.10K. He boasts that his new CPU is much more powerful than mine but skillfully avoids my question if Mobil 1 ran properly on his new PC. At that point i realized he was just putting me down and i felt really bad from that day. What a douchebag!!! I researched quite a bit on CPU's for a month from the day i bought the PC on my new dial-up connection. Turned out there was a multiplier setting in something called a bios and changing this value would allow me to increase my CPU power. I wrote down the instructions on a piece of paper and followed it carefully. Entered bios and then changed the multiplier value to the highest allowing my cpu to reach 750Mhz!!! Restarted and it worked flawlessly while running Mobil 1. I finally got my revenge when i called him over and pwned him by showing how he could've changed his CPU clockspeed without upgrading for Rs.10K!!! He never came back to my house and i didn't meet him until another 3-4 months. I was so proud of myself on that day!!!! Owned you douchebag!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lord Dagon said:
I first bought my comp in 1998...it was Hp pavilion 4403

Spec

AMD K6: 555 mhz

Ram: 64MB

Hehe started off on something similar HP Pavilion in 1999 with AMD K62 @ 550Mhz or something and 128mb ram. Costed 48k if I remember correctly. Good old days when we made purchases without research and trusted the sellers blindly.

sid_donnydarko said:
my 1st pc experience tops just about everyone else's!!!!

Parents felt it was time they invested in our first pc in 1999. I was excited and wanted to find out what would be the best rig out there. Asked a coupla friends and one guy happened to be a grade a douchebag. Told me that his computer with a p3 500mhz was the best and tried convincing me it was too expensive for someone like myself to afford. Well i was young, naive and i didn't realize he was browbeating me. So i spoke to my parents about the douchebag's config that i scribbled on a piece of paper and surprisingly they agreed to get me the exact same config! I was the happiest bugger on the planet when i heard that!

Here's the config:

Cpu: P3 500mhz slot-type processor

ram: 128mb sdram(douchebag's had 64mb)

mobo: Mercury 440bx(intel 810e chipset)

gpu: Nvidia riva tnt2 16mb(douchebag's had a 4mb voodoo)

hdd: Seagate 10gb

psu: 150w

cd drive

floppy drive

56.6kbps v.90 dial-up modem

and to make it extra special my mom bought me my very 1st game: Mobil 1 rally championship!! :cloud9:

So i invited all of my friends over to check out my pc including douchebag who tried his best to beat me down again by complaining about my tacky keyboard and mouse were. Again i didn't understand and thought he was just being himself. Only later on i figured out he was a douchebag. I even lent him my copy of mobil 1. And turns out his 4mb gfx card was simply not good enough since it lagged. He cried about it to his mom and they immediately went ahead and upgraded his pc's cpu only for rs.10k. He boasts that his new cpu is much more powerful than mine but skillfully avoids my question if mobil 1 ran properly on his new pc. At that point i realized he was just putting me down and i felt really bad from that day. What a douchebag!!! I researched quite a bit on cpu's for a month from the day i bought the pc on my new dial-up connection. Turned out there was a multiplier setting in something called a bios and changing this value would allow me to increase my cpu power. I wrote down the instructions on a piece of paper and followed it carefully. Entered bios and then changed the multiplier value to the highest allowing my cpu to reach 750mhz!!! Restarted and it worked flawlessly while running mobil 1. I finally got my revenge when i called him over and pwned him by showing how he could've changed his cpu clockspeed without upgrading for rs.10k!!! He never came back to my house and i didn't meet him until another 3-4 months. I was so proud of myself on that day!!!! Owned you douchebag!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

overclocking ftw:p

Mine was in 2002 and burned around 45k on the rig

it was a P4 1.7Ghz, jetway 845 mobo, 128MB RAm and a geforce 4 MX 440 64Mb AGP card and 15" CRT and 40GB HDD. It handled every games i threw at it with ease life NFS2,3, Hertic, Thief etc. Later got Athlon X2 4400+ 939 rig, Asus A8NE and 1GB ram with 250GB HDD and 7600GT and other stuffs which burned a good 78k in early 2006. Man, it was awesome :) payed around 16.5k for the CPU, and 15k for the GPU. Athlon X2 was king of the hill until the Core 2 duo E6100/6200 stepped in. Athlon X2 4400+ am2 was released for like 4k in less than a year :(

This thread brings back memories ! :hap2:

My 1st rig was in 2001. I just started Std. 11 and this was a gift from my granny ! So got P3 800 Mhz (or was it 900 ?), 128 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Creative CD ROM, 3.5" Floppy drive & a Zip drive ! The damn guy took 4 days to get my mobo and I use to pester him everyday after school ! :p Finally the whole thing got assembled and it was probably the happiest moment of my life ! After a couple of weeks, the Creative CDROM stopped reading any discs. When I went to get a replacement, the bloody chor had changed shops and nobody knew where he went. :( Later heard he committed suicide. :huh:
Also got a Lexmark printer which probably isn't worth 500 bucks now. :p
Total damage was around 60k.
Geekiness: +10000000. :cool2:
Learnt a LOT by tinkering with the BIOS & OS. Chip & then Digit were my lifelines then. Oh and the Reliance 155 kbps connection ! :p I specifically remember somehow getting access to the full McAfee AV from the McAfee site ! :O Lasted me till 2005-06 IIRC.
Upgraded to a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ after that. Lasted for 4-5 years.
Currently on an i5 setup.

Back