CPU/Mobo how do i apply goo on the proccy

SiriusB said:
I asked around drug stores for "rubbing alcohol" and one chemist asked me to try asking for "surgical spirit" instead, and that's what I am using now for alcohol.

I don't know about acetone though. The only source of acetone I have is a cheap bottle of nail polish remover and it does zilch on the thermal goo.Does going to higher quality nail polish removers, say lakme or something, help?

Yeah.. so ' rubbing alcohol / surgical spirit ' should be fine instead of the 'acetone / isopropyl alcohol' combo I guess..

btw, anyone know the chemical formuales for both acetone & isopropyl alcohol ??:tongue: :tongue:

dont use nail polish removers, they have oils in it which are bad for your surfaces

and check the spirit composition...as long as it is atleast 99%+ pure...should be fine

propanol=ch3chohch3

acetone=ch3coch3 :p

^Most lapping guides I read state that >90% should be fine. I couldn't get anything better anyways.

I bought the cheap nail polish remover instead of lakme because it didn't have any fragrance added.

This is wat i have Been Using:

PROPAN-2-OL EXTRAPURE. (iso-propyl alcohol) -Purest Form Of Ethyl Alcohol

PRODUCT VIEW

Very good is Dissolving Thermal Paste Be ur arctic sliver or Cheapest Thermal Paste.

This Mfg by Many companies...so far ones done by Sd Chem Limited Mumbai & NICE are best i have seen,they dissolve stuff Quickly Leaving no Residue

if u get ExtraPure No Need to Mix acetone and isopropyl alcohol,Acetone is Just Mixed to Remove the Impurities in isopropyl alcohol

err... Just go to a Local chemist, and ask for "Rubbing Alcohol" Its another name for Isopropyl Alcohol.

1 small bottle cost me 27 bux.. Big bottle was some 95 bux..

Chief-Techie said:
This Mfg by Many companies...so far ones done by Sd Chem Limited Mumbai & NICE are best i have seen,they dissolve stuff Quickly Leaving no Residue

The BEST I have seen are the solutions made be eMerck - very high quality and they are supplied with a guarantee of quality certificate..... I got eMercks Acetone and Isop Alocohol in 500ml bottles for 150/-.

Um.. Were talking about a solution good enough to clean the CPU, w/o causing harm.

Rubbing Alcohol is good enough :|.

P.S. Im a commerce student for good reason :p. (Although I did get A grade in Chemistry in the ICSE :p)

Hey Guys. I should've read this thread before. I put almost 1/2 tube on my procy and cooler. now that I have done it, Is too much AS5 compound application bad?

Back