How do I convert HDMI output from my GPU to VGA or DisplayPort for a second monitor?

Superhind

Recruit
My old monitor had DP and VGA support only.
My GPU only has DP, HDMI, and DVI support.

I got a new monitor a few months ago and connected my GPU with the new monitor via DP. I was earlier using my TV as a second monitor via HDMI. I sold my TV and decided to use my old monitor as my second monitor. Earlier, I used to connect HDMI from my GPU to the TV, and it worked.

Since my old monitor did not support HDMI, I bought an HDMI to VGA adapter and connected it to the monitor, but that didn't work. Then I ordered an HDMI to DP adapter, and that also didn't work. I read on a few forums that I cannot convert the HDMI signal to VGA/DP. Is that true?
Can anyone suggest a way I can use my second monitor? I am so used to a second screen now that working with one screen is not a pleasant experience.

I read on a few forums that I cannot convert the HDMI signal to VGA/DP. Is that true?
Not true - at least in my case. Before getting a new monitor, I used to connect my ancient Acer monitor (only has VGA input) to my rig (HDMI output) using a HDMI to VGA adapter. If I remember correctly, I think I used one of these adapters - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00SW9JI9A/
You would need VGA cables to connect though.

Back