How do I find out the maximum speed supported by my modem?

avi

Skilled
I have BSNL Type I modem and mode number is DNA-A201BEI. How do I find out maximum internet speed supported by it?

with ADSL it won't be more than 8-16 Mbps that too in best case scnerio generally its 4 Mbps depending on Line Attnuation and Noise Margin.
You can check exact numbers at your modem diagnostics page it will show Tx/Rx as well as noise numbers.

With VDSL you can get maximum 24 Mbps theoretically

DNA-A201BEI is a type 1 modem ...the speed actually varies and depends mainly on the distance between the modem and your isp exchange...however normally as this is a type 1 modem i have posted a graph showing how much you can expect ..
ADSL-adsl2-speed-against-distance.png

Man. Does that man I won't be getting 8Mbps on the BSNL plan that I want to get. I am in a village so the exchange is definitely pretty far away.

Man. Does that man I won't be getting 8Mbps on the BSNL plan that I want to get. I am in a village so the exchange is definitely pretty far away.
Fiber is your best bet if not you can try using better copper wire/Cable as long as possible to get better line quality. how far is your home from the Junction box?

Depends totaly on your laocation and the type of service that is available there ...however if you have basic landline ...you are lucky

with ADSL it won't be more than 8-16 Mbps that too in best case scnerio generally its 4 Mbps depending on Line Attnuation and Noise Margin.
You can check exact numbers at your modem diagnostics page it will show Tx/Rx as well as noise numbers.

With VDSL you can get maximum 24 Mbps theoretically
That's fine. I want to know the maximum supported by my modem, not my line. Can my modem handle 16MBPS connection?

Technically yes it can ...however if no other person is accessing internet in your neighborhood ...and your isp has not capped the connection..

Because we need road to travel...and without traffic you can race ahead ...but with heavy traffic ..well use your imagination..

Fiber is your best bet if not you can try using better copper wire/Cable as long as possible to get better line quality. how far is your home from the Junction box?
I don't know whether Fiber option is available. I just moved to this remote village and I will be the first person in my village to get a broadband connection. The local exchange is in a town 2-3 kms away. I'll try to find out how far is the junction box. Any other details I need to find out?

I don't know whether Fiber option is available. I just moved to this remote village and I will be the first person in my village to get a broadband connection. The local exchange is in a town 2-3 kms away. I'll try to find out how far is the junction box. Any other details I need to find out?
yes I also ment the dp box. from there you can have your own high quality cable rather than low quality one. both are copper though

Cool. Any idea which cable would be best and where to source it from. Here, the distances are long and I had to grill these people just to get them to agree to providing a connection. Lack of wire was the reason they were giving for denying a connection. This was for the landline though. No idea about broadband. Let's see what the actual scenario is and I'll act accordingly.

u mean the cable from dp box to your residence ? please elaborate
Yes, I had that generic telephone cable before which was very thin and cheap quality. but later switched with 2 Pair unshielded twisted pair cable (for modem and telephone) and the quality of internet had improved (no more ADSL drops) but that was long back I have then switched to better ISPs later.
You can use even CAT5 cable for this purpose but they will be more expensive depending on length.

The junction box/DP is approx 3 kms away from my home. The local guy connected me to their broadband guy who said that the 8Mbps promo plan might not be possible on ADSL. I told him that the tariff page at BSNL shows it as a promo plan available for ADSL. In the pic below VDSL is mentioned on some plans and it isn't on the one I am opting for. He seemed satisfied but still said that I won't be getting full 8Mbps. Frankly I will be happy if I get 4-6Mbps continuously. Let's see how the actual experience is.

http://imgur.com/KOJf7hT

Last edited:
Back