Storage Solutions How do i reduce HDD temps!

hey disk docs in the house
my two segate 7200rpm sata drives are running hot (39-41 deg)
a 120 mm fan in the front panel is blowing air right at them but still its showing such high temps
agreed yesterday was hell hot for delhi around (43 degs)
wt do i do?????
overall system temp is around 37
the hardisk coolers in the market are all crap(cheao 150 bux ones are only available)
the temps reported using HDD senital

no need to worry man, ur temps are way over fine, my hdd crossed 50 yesterday

these hdd coolers, where are they available??NP??which shop

the shop just behind SMC has them

also if u r not a dodo bargainer like me u can get em for about 75 bux!

trust me they are craptacular

the ones i bought were for 150 they had TWO fans

worked for a day after that kaboom stopped working

damn, is it possible to modify it with minimum hassle to attach a 60 / 80 mm fan with it?

any other decent coolers available in NP?

^ have been using those cheapo chinese hddd coolers available under 100 buks.....was suggested by Eazy abt them....every efficient in doing the job...reduced temps by 5 degrees , but then need to take care of dust deposits on the hdd if ur cabinet gets too dusty then it willl throw dust on the hdd pcb.....

wanted a bit more efficient method actually, something a 80mm fan maybe able to provide, yes dirt is a problem but worth it IMO

the other problem with these cheapo coolers is that the fan may go bust as suggested by lord shrex

deepak said:
no need to worry man, ur temps are way over fine, my hdd crossed 50 yesterday
My 3HDs avg around that much after 8 hrs use/day.

They have been running 2yrs+ w.o any probs. I sync everything once/month to backup drives.

All seagate, 7200rpms, these run little hotter than the 5400k rpm ones.

lord_shrex said:
hey disk docs in the house
my two segate 7200rpm sata drives are running hot (39-41 deg)
a 120 mm fan in the front panel is blowing air right at them but still its showing such high temps
agreed yesterday was hell hot for delhi around (43 degs)

The way I look at it there is NO WAY that air cooling any hardware can make it go below the ambient temperature - so if your room temp is 43 C then the HDD or CPU or GFX card or any other hardware cannot be below 43 C UNLESS you have some sort of airconditioning or refrigeration setup.

If you get idle temperatures around 5 C over the room temp for the HDDs then that is about as good as you will get with air cooling - no amount of extra air cooling (case fans) will make more then a couple of C difference at MAX for the HDDs.

Please correct me if you think it is possible to blow air from a room on computer hardware and get it to go below the ambient temperarure.

Coolers on the market are highly over rated crap not worhty of the money wasted on them.

Easy is right. Unless you use refrigeration you won't get below room temp. However if you take your side cover off and have a small house fan blowing at an angle on your drives you can get within 3 or 4 degress of room temp. I found this out after my post last night. My 3 drives were running at 43-49 until I did that and now they are 32-34 and room temp is 29. I am trying to figure out a way to take the motor and fan out of its case and mount in in the acrylic side cover on my box. My only concern with that is the magnetic field from the fan being so close to the drives.

nottheguru said:
My only concern with that is the magnetic field from the fan being so close to the drives.

I have 2 120mm fans mounted on the sides of my HDD cage - and I have had it this way for years - never seen any data corruption problem....

Eazy said:
The way I look at it there is NO WAY that air cooling any hardware can make it go below the ambient temperature - so if your room temp is 43 C then the HDD or CPU or GFX card or any other hardware cannot be below 43 C UNLESS you have some sort of airconditioning or refrigeration setup.

i guess u r right the room is really hot so i cannot expect lower temps even the keyboard n mouse are slightly warm!

ill be shifting my table to an AC room next week

but theoretically my cabinet is well vented So there shudnt be a heat build up

sTALKEr said:
dude.... nottheguru wants to put a table fan into his case!!! its aint a 120mm fan tht hes fixing....

:O :O :O

OH MAN !!! ....Oooops..... an AC Fan !!! I thought we were talking about a regular 12v DC fan .... I think 220v AC fans MAY give EMI problems.

@nottheguru ... You want to do something like this ? :)

superfancasets8.jpg

OR THIS ?

18inchfanag4.jpg

Back