How do you download torrents anonymously?

Ssreek

Adept
Basically the title. I agree most isp companies don't block torrents and getting some legal/warning mails about torrent downloads are not very often. But still such issues happen.

I tried couple of basic vpns but the speed is no where near without vpn.

So how do you download torrents anonymously, and faster?
Edit: I am not talking about getting magnet links or ".torrent" file, I am talking about downloading files/contents in that torrent.

Last edited:
Indian govt. has blocked all such ahem sites but mostly only popular ones.
I use any free vpns to browse torrent sites which are blocked.

The key is to use vpn only to get that torrent and once done you no more need any vpn for downloading..
Bro getting that magnet or torrent file is not an issue with or without vpn. But I'm talking about downloading GBs of files

Bro getting that magnet or torrent file is not an issue with or without vpn. But I'm talking about downloading GBs of files
Is it that hard to open torrent or magnet link in qbittorrent or something else? Getting torrent file is the hard part.

Is it that hard to open torrent or magnet link in qbittorrent or something else? Getting torrent file is the hard part.
Ok, may be I am not clear.. Getting that magnet link or ".torrent" file is easy, with or without VPN.
Downloading the files/contents is also sometimes easier, but how do you do it privately?

Ok, may be I am not clear.. Getting that magnet link or ".torrent" file is easy, with or without VPN.
Downloading the files/contents is also sometimes easier, but how do you do it privately?
Change your system dns to something like quad9 secure dns. You want to hide your http and dns requests from the ISP and this is the only option. Everything leaving your computer will be encrypted to dns9 server and your ISP can't see anything.

Use forced encryption in torrent clients. Using forced encryption will change the download speed. It can make it better if your ISP was blocking torrents. Or it could make it worse if your ISP was providing cache to torrents.

Did you tried Cloudflare WARP? it is also available as client app on Win 1x.

Torrent is P2P. Downloading the torrent requires the IP to be exposed to the pool. The best way to prevent the IP from being exposed is using a VPN. Once you have downloaded the content, stop the download (please don't do this, continue seeding if possible). Easiest solution is to run a VPN client on the download machine. Other solution is to use seedboxes that are exclusively used for downloading torrents so as to prevent getting copyright notices.

I have Proton VPN Plus which, I think, is good enough to maintain my privacy? I think that's what you meant. Idk if there's any other method which relies on not using a VPN.

Use forced encryption in torrent clients. Using forced encryption will change the download speed. It can make it better if your ISP was blocking torrents. Or it could make it worse if your ISP was providing cache to torrents.
Change your system dns to something like quad9 secure dns. You want to hide your http and dns requests from the ISP and this is the only option. Everything leaving your computer will be encrypted to dns9 server and your ISP can't see anything.
Did you tried Cloudflare WARP? it is also available as client app on Win 1x.

I will try these. But still IP is exposed right? I believe this is the way those companies find people who downloaded and send them emails warning them.

Torrent is P2P. Downloading the torrent requires the IP to be exposed to the pool. The best way to prevent the IP from being exposed is using a VPN. Once you have downloaded the content, stop the download (please don't do this, continue seeding if possible). Easiest solution is to run a VPN client on the download machine. Other solution is to use seedboxes that are exclusively used for downloading torrents so as to prevent getting copyright notices.

This is what I mostly understood about privately downloading from torrents. I tried few vpns but their speed was low. Want to know if any vpn gives almost full speed.
Seedboxes are really great, except that it is always a subscription fee. Probably best for people who can pay or for whom it is worth.

I will try these. But still IP is exposed right? I believe this is the way those companies find people who downloaded and send them emails warning them.

This is what I mostly understood about privately downloading from torrents. I tried few vpns but their speed was low. Want to know if any vpn gives almost full speed.
Seedboxes are really great, except that it is always a subscription fee. Probably best for people who can pay or for whom it is worth.
I've found proton VPN is the only one which gave me good speeds (around 70% compared to 20-30% with others) also turns out to be one of the better privacy ones not owned by the duopoly of VPN service as discussed here.I'd suggest giving it a try.

Also yes, using a custom dns wouldn't really help since they trace the IPs (Initially wanted to use cloudflare myself for the best speeds but alas)

I have Proton VPN Plus which, I think, is good enough to maintain my privacy? I think that's what you meant. Idk if there's any other method which relies on not using a VPN.
I've found proton VPN is the only one which gave me good speeds (around 70% compared to 20-30% with others) also turns out to be one of the better privacy ones not owned by the duopoly of VPN service as discussed here.I'd suggest giving it a try.

Also yes, using a custom dns wouldn't really help since they trace the IPs (Initially wanted to use cloudflare myself for the best speeds but alas)

Proton seems to be very popular in our sub and I definitely want to try it. But this thread says something else.
Still, I will give Proton and Mulvad to give a try.

Proton seems to be very popular in our sub and I definitely want to try it. But this thread says something else.
Still, I will give Proton and Mulvad to give a try.
Yes this was discussed in this comment.
This was before the Swiss Court ruling that email service providers do not have to comply with data retention laws: https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/27/protonmail_data_victory/

The laws have changed and Proton Mail is in the exception now. You can read more about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_retention#Email
However I doubt they'll send the FBI for torrenting. Also if shit hit the fan, proton would be better out of the rest of the generic "we don't log anything" guys. Haven't used Mulvad but guess OP can try that out too.

Yes this was discussed in this comment.

However I doubt they'll send the FBI for torrenting. Also if shit hit the fan, proton would be better out of the rest of the generic "we don't log anything" guys. Haven't used Mulvad but guess OP can try that out too.
That's good info.
I will try out proton then.
I don't think fbi would be worried about downloading movies on torrents, but who knows.

You can try PikPak, it provides free trail for upto 7 days if you download their extension and desktop app. It works with temp email, so you can create another account after trail expires.
It is not anonymous without VPN but it gives a lot better speed with VPN compared to torrents.

Free or paid VPN? It'll always be slow on the free ones. For paid, you can go for Proton VPN and look for specific servers which support torrenting. Proton free tier doesn't support torrenting. To get full speed, it's a trial and error process with different VPN providers. If you choose a server in a far off location such as Europe or US, it'll be slower compared to the one in Singapore.

Back