How effective is tempered glass protection? Is it necessary to put one on the mobile screen?

SrkOnline

Disciple
It seems many people these days are using tempered glasses to protect mobile screens. How effective are they? Is it all hype or are they really useful?
How much can be spent on buying a tempered glass?

Good quality tempered glasses + a good case can really save a phone from high drop. Good tempered glasses like nilkin etc take most of impact before it reaches the phone screen. Most good tempered glasses come in range of 400- 1000

Not sure. Recently saw a screen shatter with the tempered glass intact. The phone (Lenovo) was accidentally dropped from a table top. It fell on its side.

My ballistic or tempered whatever glass protector on my 6S have a crack on the edge. I use it with a case and all. Still the way it fell was the culprit.

So screen safe, screen protector is bit gone. I like tempered glass as it is very easy to put on and no air bubbles etc. No, I am not a novice when it comes to normal screen protector+soap solution application either.

I ordered one from Rhinoshield(Evolution labs).They are damn good.They have cases for Iphone 6 and those are really worth the price.They ship directly from US.They have free shipping worldwide above 30$ otherwise a nominal fee is charged.Ir ordered one for my Xperia z2.If you see the videos where they do the drop tests for the screen protectors and cases you will be amazed

My wife's OnePlus one had a nillkin tempered glass on it. One fine day, it slipped from her hand, and probably had a 3 feet high fall. See the effect in the pic attached.It was not just the tempered glass, but the entire display that had shattered. Probably the phone landed on its corner.

There's only so much a tempered glass can do. I'd still use a tempered glass, and a good case. Probably with a case, the OPO screen would have not broken.

Attachments

• 1473471145506.jpg
    1473471145506.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 242
Using tempered glass on my Oneplus One, has saved my phone screen from shattering twice. Instead the tempered glass shattered. Phone screens are built to shatter if x amount of force is applied to the screen so the force is dissipated through the glass rather than bending and damaging the internals. If you have a tempered glass the force is taken by the tempered glass first. There are incidents where the tempered glass is not broken and the phone screen cracked, but these are rare cases.
A friend of mine crashed his car to a tree and the Air Bag did not trigger, when he asked the showroom guys why the Air Bags did not open, they said "You did not crash the car properly" it seems. :D

Recently shipped my Mi Pad to a TE member. To my horror, he reported that the screen was broken. Turns out it was only the tempered glass and the screen was intact.

Also, one should only use branded tempered glass. Ive seen cheap ones which sell for 150 which are made of plastic.

I feel they are pointless. my gorilla glass 2 screen has survived 10+ phone drops and i have never used screenguard from 2+ years and hardly has anyn visible scratches. i think those phones with that gorilla 4/5 tech would be even better. No point wasting 600-800 rupees every 6 months. They ruin touch feel and i guess most dont have anti-fingerprint tech as well. Also ruins aesthetics if you have good lookin phone.

Back