How India’s poultry farms are spawning global superbugs

swatkats

Skilled
On a farm in Ranga Reddy district near Hyderabad, a clutch of chicks has just been delivered. Some 5,000 birds peck at one another, loitering around a warehouse which will become cramped as they grow. Outside the shed, stacks of bags contain the feed they will eat during their five-week-long lives. Some of them gulp down a yellow liquid from plastic containers — a sugar water fed to the chicks from the moment they arrive, the farm caretaker explains. “Now the supervisor will come,” she adds, “and we will have to start with whatever medicines he would ask us to give the chicks.”

The medicines are antibiotics, given to the birds to protect them against diseases or to make them gain weight faster so more can be grown each year at greater profit. One drug typically given this way is colistin. Doctors call it the ‘last hope’ antibiotic because it is used to treat patients critically ill with infections which have become resistant to nearly all other drugs. The World Health Organisation has called for the use of such antibiotics, which it calls “critically important to human medicines”, to be restricted in animals and banned as growth promoters. Their continued use in farming increases the chance that bacteria will develop resistance to them, leaving them useless when treating patients.

‘Growth promoters’

Yet thousands of tonnes of veterinary colistin was shipped to countries including Vietnam, India, South Korea and Russia in 2016, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism can reveal. In India, at least five animal pharmaceutical companies are openly advertising products containing colistin as growth promoters.

Read more: http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...l-superbugs/article22597845.ece?homepage=true

Main version: https://www.thebureauinvestigates.c...-poultry-farming-is-creating-global-superbugs

Last edited:
I find it really sad how humans have linked their worth to scrap pieces of printed paper and some metal objects. And we call ourselves an advanced species. :facepalm:

While buying chicken, I take a smallest live bird 1.4kgs -1.8kgs max and get the skin peeled.
I was told by friend who runs a poultry, that small birds have less antibiotics feed.

Frak protein, Its antibiotics and toxins we're buying

Even lot of chocolates and ice creams are fake now. Most of them are made from vegetable oil or fat instead of milk solids. Its like eating cake icing but for a more costly price. Tastes horrible.

^^ Kwality walls products have been like that from the start. They don't even advertise it as ice cream and instead call it Frozen Dessert

Even lot of chocolates and ice creams are fake now. Most of them are made from vegetable oil or fat instead of milk solids. Its like eating cake icing but for a more costly price. Tastes horrible.
Exactly the reason why I only buy amul ice cream. Sadly not many shops carry them tho because of small margins compared to kwality walls[DOUBLEPOST=1517488035][/DOUBLEPOST]
While buying chicken, I take a smallest live bird 1.4kgs -1.8kgs max and get the skin peeled.
I was told by friend who runs a poultry, that small birds have less antibiotics feed.

Frak protein, Its antibiotics and toxins we're buying
how to select when buying boneless chicken from supermarkets? any pointers?

The medicines are antibiotics, given to the birds to protect them against diseases or to make them gain weight faster
Antibiotics = protect against disease ie good. Antibiotics don't increase weight, There is no 'or'
Steroids = gain weight faster

I don't find steroid chicken in India. The biggest Indian bird is still small compared to what i've seen abroad. Why ? steroids must be expensive in India maybe

I always bought the biggest birds i could get because i want the protein. This is something that is in short supply in India because animal protein is expensive and people substitute fat which is cheaper to feel full

The downside with steroid chicken is it doesn't work well with curries. The steroids make the meat tougher, it has to be marinated for several hours if you expect something tasty. Taste .

For that smaller birds are better. Since we eat curries in India it follows that steroid chicken won't sell well in India to begin with. It does have its uses though, steaks, barbecues, deep fried, western food etc.

I don't waste time with this scare mongering

Doesn't say much .

There are different breeds, some are big and some are small. Just like you get tall and short people. Small person isn't under nourished, taller person didn't take steroids. A better diet will make people taller though. Present generation is definitely taller than their grandparents

Last edited:
....Their continued use in farming increases the chance that bacteria will develop resistance to them, leaving them useless when treating patients....

It doesn't matter what kind of chicken we eat - Desi or Organic or Small or anything else.
The usage of antibiotics is the issue.
Once the bacteria becomes resistant to that ‘last hope’ antibiotic, even vegetarian people would suffer.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170607-how-we-can-stop-antibiotic-resistance

Antibiotics = protect against disease ie good. Antibiotics don't increase weight, There is no 'or'
Steroids = gain weight faster

I don't find steroid chicken in India. The biggest Indian bird is still small compared to what i've seen abroad. Why ? steroids must be expensive in India maybe

I always bought the biggest birds i could get because i want the protein. This is something that is in short supply in India because animal protein is expensive and people substitute fat which is cheaper to feel full

The downside with steroid chicken is it doesn't work well with curries. The steroids make the meat tougher, it has to be marinated for several hours if you expect something tasty. Taste .

For that smaller birds are better. Since we eat curries in India it follows that steroid chicken won't sell well in India to begin with. It does have its uses though, steaks, barbecues, deep fried, western food etc.

I don't waste time with this scare mongering

Doesn't say much .

There are different breeds, some are big and some are small. Just like you get tall and short people. Small person isn't under nourished, taller person didn't take steroids. A better diet will make people taller though. Present generation is definitely taller than their grandparents
No, there are certain antibiotics which are called GPAs(growth promoting antibiotics) which are used on chickens. Problem is if they're used more, chickens grow more healthy and big. So, instead of using it in recommended amounts by WHO, chicken producers are increasing more and more amounts to get bigger chickens which inturn makes more chances for antibiotic bacteria to grow[DOUBLEPOST=1517632564][/DOUBLEPOST]
Buy online from Honestkart.com
Its down. I'll keep an eye on it

It doesn't matter what kind of chicken we eat - Desi or Organic or Small or anything else.
The usage of antibiotics is the issue.
Once the bacteria becomes resistant to that ‘last hope’ antibiotic, even vegetarian people would suffer.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170607-how-we-can-stop-antibiotic-resistance
exactly. Even desi doctors are to blame. I got a cold and pains in winter and I went to doctor thinking it may be something more and the antibiotics he gave me, my god. powerful af. I showed it to my doctor friend and she was like if anything happens in future, come to me. dont go to that guy.

Natural growth - 3 months
Usage of Steroids - 45 days or even 40 days, the bird becomes up to 3kgs.

Antibiotics are a must, but the usage of it is above the prescribed.

Both of them are given as a feed. More the feed the bulkier the broiler chicken, They usually don't keep the chicken for more than 45 days in the farm. So understand and avoid the trolls.[DOUBLEPOST=1517658259][/DOUBLEPOST]Chickens in India are dosed with a very strong drug used to treat critically ill patients: Study

Last edited:
I will tell you one basic fact known in pharmacology.

Any antibiotic given has time of action and its filtered out of system.

This time depends on various factors like kidney and liver function.

I agree colistin of its indeed given is wrong thing to do.

But cost of one million unit dose is more than entire kilo of chicken.

How it can be feasible?

exactly. Even desi doctors are to blame. I got a cold and pains in winter and I went to doctor thinking it may be something more and the antibiotics he gave me, my god. powerful af. I showed it to my doctor friend and she was like if anything happens in future, come to me. dont go to that guy.
Our homeopathic doc's 3 day course works faster than Allopathic 5 day course, I stopped visiting docs for common flu or intestinal common probs.

What does your homeopathy doctor prescribe?
Same medicines which are officially and legally prescribed by allopathy doctors.
Or they give you those white sabudana pills?[DOUBLEPOST=1517679776][/DOUBLEPOST]Allopathy doc would prescribe rational medicines which would create less or no side effects but same medicines or higher medicines given by homeopathy doc is more harmful.
Do think about that.

What does your homeopathy doctor prescribe?
Same medicines which are officially and legally prescribed by allopathy doctors.
I have not done MBBS nor BHMS. So point of discussing with you.
This is my experience, Take it or leave it.

I've got helped by Homeopathy for many ailments which allopathy medicines failed to give permanent relief.
For Some it couldn't, so allopathy medicines helped me in some cases. Its both the ways!

Well those are not white pills, Direct Liquid two drops on the tongue!

Our homeopathic doc's 3 day course works faster than Allopathic 5 day course, I stopped visiting docs for common flu or intestinal common probs.

You must watch this..

Anything you can cure with homeopathy is a thing that you could have cured without any medicine. If you want to cure a head ache, you can go the allopathy route and swallow an asprin for it or you can go the homeopahy route, throw that asprin into a lake, wait for some time and then drink a couple of drops of water from that lake

Back