OC & Modding How is cooler master tx3 , any other alternatives

dude, if you dont mind buying used, then there is thread put up in Members Market section about a used Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer for 1.8K. It comes with a fan and a fan controller. From what I have read, that is one very good cooler.

There are also a couple of threads of people selling TRUE for around 2k. TRUE is/was the absolute high end of air cooling.

Rather than spending almost 2K for Hyper 212+, I would suggest you take a look at these.

CPU coolers are probably one of the few things you can buy used without a second thought. It is after all a lump of metal and not much difference if you by new or used. Well, that is my opinion.

pretttt said:
CPU coolers are probably one of the few things you can buy used without a second thought. It is after all a lump of metal and not much difference if you by new or used. Well, that is my opinion.

Time for you to brush up on certain things. First of all CPU coolers are not lumps of metal. They are very finely designed with fins which if corroded or bent lead to the degradation of performance.

To the Op you can consider this it gives stellar performance and the bundle is also decent so is the price.
http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/arctic-cooling-freezer-7-pro-rev2-153065.html

H2O said:
Time for you to brush up on certain things. First of all CPU coolers are not lumps of metal. They are very finely designed with fins which if corroded or bent lead to the degradation of performance.

what you are talking is of physical damage. I mean yeah, it is given that one would not buy something with visible physical damage. More than fins, important thing is the base. Still you can buy used coolers with more confidence than buying say a second hand cpu or ram.

Anyways, I saw some very good coolers for the LGA775 being put up in the market section for very attractive prices, so thought of letting the OP know.

A CPU is a lump of sand.
yea dude, I said the same thing.... and you are not exagerrating at all.

@ rohan
if u could wait till the end of month, a dealer here at TE is planning to get xigmatek sd964...and, i think, that one is much better than hyper tx3

You have the best deal in hands with CM Hyper TX3 @ 1300 . Even the TIM supplied with this cooler is of better quality . Instead of now looking for other cooler I suggest you yo invest in TIM , may be Thermal Fusion 400 kind of thing which should be available @ 600 . As it is very much important that heat from the surface be transferred to heatsink fins in faster manner while overclocking irrespective of which CPU cooler you are using . BTW I am not sure but if E7500 you have is 45 nm then as per Intel maximum voltage you can play with should not be more than 1.3625 and crossing the same may damage the CPU permanently . I came across this thing on youtube , so just sharing .:)

kanofine said:
TXmanner while overclocking irrespective of which CPU cooler you are using . BTW I am not sure but if E7500 you have is 45 nm then as per Intel maximum voltage you can play with should not be more than 1.3625 and crossing the same may damage the CPU permanently . I came across this thing on youtube , so just sharing .:)

As mentioned 1.3625v is the stock max voltage , increasing it may damage the cpu if you dont have proper hardware .

Also i checked out Hyper 212 yesterday and this thing is huge , I am afraid it might block my ram slots on the G31 motherboard . I will have to open my case and judge the distance .

H2O said:
To the Op you can consider this it gives stellar performance and the bundle is also decent so is the price.

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/arctic-cooling-freezer-7-pro-rev2-153065.html

Ya it looks a good cooler but the problem is the dealer from Theitwares ( rahul ) hardly replies to PM these days ! also his shop at lamington , i have never seen it open .

The Sorcerer said:
Jokes apart, you're a lot better off with ultima 90i+ a 92mm or a 120mm fan. Prime is selling them for 1,480 and get a 200-300 decent fan and you're good to go. Pretty surprised not many people are recommending ultima 90i anymore, despite being a great cooler for the price.

Even if it was available, it's very unlikely it would have been Rs.1480/- if you use some common sense.

Ultima90i was always 2.1-2.2K odd locally.

Prime never got the TR Ultima90i iirc.:)

What you may have seen for Rs.1480/- must be the TR Ultra90, which is the 3-pipe, 90mm version of the original 4-pipe, 120mm TR Ultra120. :)

An ultima90i is almost a TRUE for dual cores, esp the 45nm chips and even for quads with only a few degrees difference in max load temps.

Most dual core users may not even notice a difference between the 2 coolers unless planning 3.8-4Ghz 24x7.

Plus the lower height and the option to use with 92mm fan makes it usable in entry-level cases that are usually not more than 7" wide.

All said, case ventilation has to be good too to begin with.

rohan_mhtr said:
And regarding ultima 90i+ , i phoned prime and its not available , the person answering the phone didnt even know what it was !!

As mentioned above- that's why most of the sales people don't know. :)

rohan_mhtr said:
The board has option to control vcore as well as an option to set it to auto so that voltage can be regulated by the mobo itself .

I have overclocked this same cpu on other testing board and the results were

3,4ghz at stock voltage

3,6ghz at stock max voltage: 1,3625v

3,9ghz needs 1,400v

4,0ghz pc just reboots ( temp above 73 )

I dont know how people manage it at low voltages as you told me to do , i guess its not getting enough power , psu then was cx400 .

All this on OCing on the stock cooler? :(

rohan_mhtr said:
Also i checked out Hyper 212 yesterday and this thing is huge , I am afraid it might block my ram slots on the G31 motherboard . I will have to open my case and judge the distance .

It's not too big unless your case is not big enough. :)

Also does your case have a 120mm exhaust or at least 2x 80mm ones?

While buying a cooler, check if it can be fitted facing the rear exhaust, especially if the psu sits at the top of the case and also check if it clears the NB heatsink.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
As mentioned above- that's why most of the sales people don't know. :)

All this on OCing on the stock cooler? :(

It's not too big unless your case is not big enough. :)

Also does your case have a 120mm exhaust or at least 2x 80mm ones?

Overclocking was done by using my friends Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme cpu cooler that too on another mobo( without any thermal paste ) !!

My case has 4 fans . 1 120mm and 1 80mm side panel intake , 1 92mm rear exhaust and 1 92 mm top exhaust . ( modded personally )

Regarding hyper 212 , it will fit in the case but rams slots of my micro atx board are in doubts . The board also holds a 4770 , and a xonar sound card so its getting crowded here but i guess it will fit , i will check it tonight .

Ok finally purchased Cooler master TX3 this morning for Rs1050 + gave away the stock intel cooler to the dealer .
Cooler looks good and it also provides a good thermal paste along with it . I will install it in the evening and post the temps .
Thanks everyone to provide various suggestions but i guess availability was also a big issue and i wanted to stay away from shipping hassle .

Cooler Master TX-3, is a budget cooler, so until and unless you don't install an extra 90 mm (push-in, push-out config), you shouldn't really expect a miraculous drop in temps... TX 3 in stock config, might lower the idle temps, but at overclocks (and you expect to get to 3.66 right ??).. temps will go up to 65 - 70 Degrees with a single fan...

Gigabyte G 31 might be budget board but overclock it can, hell yes... I have OC'd my E 7500 to 3.66 (333 * 11) at 1.32 VCore.. I have a CM 212 Plus (2 fans)... You can try my config..

Go into MIT in BIOS.. set FSB to 333, RAM Ratio to 2.5, PCI Speed to 100 MHz, Voltages manual.. VCore 1.32, DDR2 Overvoltage +0.1, FSB Over voltage - Normal..

Try if this works...

but dude, why did u give away your stock intel cooler. I'm probably wrong, but I had read that Intel insists on producing the stock cooler when claiming for processor rma.

Ok it was easy to install , also attached one local 90mm fan to the cooler as an exhaust . So here is the result as shown by speedfan

Earlier with stock cooler on ideal Core0 = 42c and core1=40c

Now with tx3 on ideal Core0=39c and core1=38c

Running OCCT for 15-20 mins and load temp is around 52-54c .

Edit : Ok now i am on 3.3ghz and load temps around 56-58c . Compared to stock cooler on 3.3ghz there is a difference of around 7c .

Very impressive for a budget cooler . I will try tweaking voltages and pc case fans and try to take beyond 3.5ghz and will post the result .

pretttt said:
but dude, why did u give away your stock intel cooler. I'm probably wrong, but I had read that Intel insists on producing the stock cooler when claiming for processor rma.

I didnt know that , anyway i dont care since i havent seen many CPU's going for RMA unless they have fried up . The stock cooler would have anyway been wasted lying around .

rohan_mhtr said:
Earlier with stock cooler on ideal Core0 = 42c and core1=40c

Now with tx3 on ideal Core0=39c and core1=38c

I think you meant 'idle', not 'ideal'. :)

Idle (temperature) coz temperature is noted when cpu is idle, as in 0% cpu usage.

Load temperature refers to temperature noted when cpu is under maximum load, i.e. cpu usage is 100%. :)

asingh said:
@Rohan:

I do not trust Speed Fan that much. What is happening on RealTEMP.

Almost same !

BIKeINSTEIN said:
I think you meant 'idle', not 'ideal'. :)

Sorry for the late post , but just saw it now , is it a English class ?? :eek:hyeah:

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Idle (temperature) coz temperature is noted when cpu is idle, as in 0% cpu usage.

Load temperature refers to temperature noted when cpu is under maximum load, i.e. cpu usage is 100%. :)

So what ? :S , we know that !

Brought CM TX3 & Noctua NT-H1 from mediahome

With stock AMD cooler

23wo5zk.jpg

ran prime95 for 20 minutes

With TX3 + Noctua NT-H1

1znll3a.jpg

ran prime95 for 40 minutes

AMD Athlon II X4 2.8Ghz OC'd to 3.36 @ 1.375v
GA-MA785GM-US2H

Back