How is honesty net ISP? Plan details available?

dkt433

Disciple
Mar 18, 2009
Honesty ISP is not good. You browse less and a lot bandwidth used is shown in your account when you check details. If anyone planning for a capped plan from Honesty, I would not recommend. Also there is no customer service.

pa1pa1

Disciple
Aug 11, 2008
AFAIK, you'll need a cable operator who can provide HNS internet service, which will bump up the p.m. pricing. Again, afaik, it gives the best latencies/pings to gaming servers(or otherwise), so if that's your cup of tea, go for it.

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
I posted this in another forum, topic titled : "Honesty Net not so honest?":

I noticed while downloading off HNS servers on BSNL 8 mbps plan that it is likely capped to 2 mbps per user so I shifted to France servers to get close to 8 mbps speeds.

But that is not the point, whats interesting is that even though HNS can do multi-mbps downloads, for some reason speedtest.net Mumbai server run by HNS shows much lower speeds thus giving the impression to average layman that BSNL speed is poor.

I hope its not a co-marketing ploy by HNS/Airtel to put BSNL's name in disrepute :whistle:

One way to confirm if is other BSNL users and users of other ISPs which compete with Airtel/HNS could post what their Mumbai speedtest.net results are along with what actual download speeds they get off HNS servers/mirros. In fact HNS/Airtel users, care to post your own speedtest results? It might clearly show glaring skewed numbers in favour of HNS/Airtel against other ISPs.

Of course hopefully you should have say at least 2 mbps plans and ideally higher than 2 mbps plans to confirm/verify both points.

PS: Maybe its just my conspiracy-theorist mindset and I'm just imagining things :D

comments?

hardyieks

Disciple
Nov 20, 2009
Mumbai
i have used it for about 3 years...for me the service is ok....it has greatly improved in the past few years..i pay 550 bucks for 512kbs in day and 1 mbps in night unlimited..its down maybe once in a month not more....so if you have no other choice..it isnt that bad :)

mgcarley

Disciple
Sep 9, 2010
Mumbai
Nobody's perfect, but the service will depend on where you live as to how good it will be. If you live in the north-central suburbs (Vikhroli to southern Thane) it's their own infrastructure so the service should be alright, but if you live outside these areas the service is provided through cable operators - some of who are good, some are not.

As far as their core network is concerned, it's pretty good compared to what I've seen at some other places in India. In May they upgraded their core routers from some old Juniper boxes to some brand-spanking-new Cisco ASR9000 series routers and I think they've got now over a half Terabit of switching capacity (they don't buy that much wholesale bandwidth, but the internal capacity is there).

Also, if you're a big Youtube fan they're peered directly with Google's servers in Prabhadevi - my users get an average of about 50mbit/s throughput for Youtube videos on public networks, which also means for those of you wanting to use Google DNS and all, you're only about 3-5ms away (depending if you are using a WiFi router or not) from those servers:
mathew@mathew-laptop:~$ ping 8.8.4.4
PING 8.8.4.4 (8.8.4.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_req=1 ttl=58 time=6.62 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_req=2 ttl=58 time=5.25 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_req=3 ttl=58 time=5.13 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_req=4 ttl=58 time=5.35 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_req=5 ttl=58 time=5.41 ms
^C
--- 8.8.4.4 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4005ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.138/5.555/6.624/0.550 ms

You'll need to talk to your local operator to find out what kind of plans he has - most probably offer the typical amount of 0.5 to 2 or 4mbit/s, although they do offer up to 50mbit/s in some areas. I've personally managed http://speedtest.net/result/1999051732.png on their network, although my laptop only has a 100mbit/s NIC, so that's probably as fast as it will go until I get a new one. On a machine that had Gigabit Ethernet, I've seen results exceeding 200mbit/s+ down and 100mbit/s+ up, although being that it wasn't done on my account, I don't have access to the image :(

Disclosure: Yeah, I buy a lot of my bandwidth from them and I know the CTO very well, but my overall verdict? Your mileage may vary.