How is Lufthansa for travelling to the US?

Wraith

Skilled
I am gonna be travelling to the US next month. I found the Lufthansa fares to be the lowest so far. I havent flown Lufthansa nor do I dont know anyone who has.

So i want to know how their service is. I have 1 query regarding the Boeing 747-400, does it have personal screen or the big common screens??

Usually long haul flights like US (obviously with a stop over somewhere in Europe, UK etc) have personal screens. But what can you do with that is dependent on airline. I had travelled through Air France and though it had personal screen, you cannot control the programs, just change channels :mad:

depends on the aircraft, not just the airline. the last time i flew on lufthansa was 9 years back to the us. we had a stopover in frankfurt. at that time, we didnt have personal screens but common ones. unfortunately, sectors that connect to india usually dont have the best aircrafts. usually, the newer aircrafts are used on different sectors.

LH do not have PTV's or in seat entertainement apart from audio channels with their economy products on the Boeing 747 flights to India (or rather, on the 747 fleet as a whole). Though they are planned to receive the upgrade sometime in the future but as of latest info, the fleet has yet to be moved to the new economy product.

There's conflicting reports on the A340-300 IFE but i could get that cross checked. The A340-600 and the A330 fleets have IFE in their economy product.

Business Class product is the new business class that was introduced across all the widebody fleet in late 2007 and 2008. So irrespective of the a/c being a 747 or A330/A340, you get a very nice business class product.

hope this helps. are you flying out of BOM (mumbai) btw?

vb86 said:
depends on the aircraft, not just the airline. the last time i flew on lufthansa was 9 years back to the us. we had a stopover in frankfurt. at that time, we didnt have personal screens but common ones. unfortunately, sectors that connect to india usually dont have the best aircrafts. usually, the newer aircrafts are used on different sectors.

This is incorrect. There is no such thing as "newer" a/c. LH have been flying the 747 for years to India and later, the A330/A340 family. These aircraft are also rotated on the trans-atlantic and far east flights interchangably. What is usually done is a simple seat config change depending on which market the a/c is designated on flight for. This has nothing to do with the products being offered in F/C/Y. It is simply a change of capacity (for example a 16/64/310 can be switched to a 16/99/234 depending on what flights the aircraft is assigned for) This is usually done at Frankfurt for the B747 fleet and at Munich and Frankfurt for the A330/A340 fleet. The most common a/c serving the Indian routes are the B747-400 and the A340/A330. The A340-600 being the rare deployment and usually is deployed only to DEL.

However what you might have meant was the delayed introduction of the "new business class" product on the flights to India. That is correct as when the aircrafts were upgraded to the new business class product, the first sectors to see them were the FRA-JFK, FRA-LAX, FRA-SIN etc sectors. In India DEL was the first to see in on the B747 followed by BLR and then BOM.

So there's no such "India specific" aircrafts which are rotated to the Indian routes. LH does not assign specific tail numbers on designated routes unless they are either constrained operationally or are phasing in or out a product.

For more you may check this out :

Lufthansa - Inflight Entertainment
Generally speaking, i wouldnt rate LH highly for their Economy product, however their Business and First class is really very good including the food & drinks and of-course most importantly for trans-atlantic connections, their connection times and on time performance

I dont know how its for usa trip. but 2wice used Lufthansa for hongkong and it was good atleast better than indian based and cathay pacific. so overall its fine

Don't take Air India but, they showed Dasvidanya on that huge pathetic screen and then there was heavy turbulence. :mad:
Don't know if the movie and turbulence had a connection or not :p

LH is by far one of the worst airlines to travel with. I used to travel extensively t Europe on work about 3/4 years ago and never once had a good flight. The air hostess's are extremely rude and the service and seats are pathetic. Now this was four five years ago, so things may have changed.

If you are planning to go to the west cost then SQ would be a better option. If east cost then I would suggest even Air India over LH, as atleast the food and service is good if not anything else.

The only positive on LH is that its mostly always on time.

Well I have travelled by Air France and Emirates previously and I have had good exp with both of them.

Last time Air France even upgraded me to Business class for free :D

I hope the Lufthansa 747's have personal screens or it will be one boring flight of almost 9 hours!! The other option is Qatar airways the whose Bom - NYC return ticket is 36k!!

I've travelled onboard the Lufthansa, Emirates and the Singapore Airlines and I found Lufthansa to be slightly inferior compared to the other two.

Emirates and SA offer some classy unmatched service onboard. Awesome in-flight service, good food, some good collection of channels and movies being played including the regional ones, bottomless alcoholic beverages and so forth. Dont think any other airline comes close to Emirates and SA and yeah they charge a bomb for a flight (bombs are inexpensive still!).

Rest assured, the 747 should have 7" LCDs for personal entertainment. I mean for a long flight isn't that quite obvious?

^Oh crap that's sick. Consider a laptop or some netbook then and have it loaded. Most flights do have charging outlets on the arm-rests. (Tell me those aren't there on the Lufthansa now!)

Perhaps the customer service peeps're generalising?

No they arent. Travelled in April and May of this year.

It all depends on your luck. We went from BLR - FRA - PDX and return was EWR - FRA - BLR.

Some legs of the journey were good. Good in the sense, good space. FRA - BLR was MISERABLE! EWR - FRA was good! Enough space to stretch your leg.

Service is mediocre. Typical German efficiency. As long as you dont expect them to wait on you hanbd and foot, you should be ok. They generally keep loads of chocolates, snacks, drinks(not alcoholic ones), etc near the pantry. And you can go and help yourself to as much as you want anytime. Toilets are clean, seats are clean.

Only problem you may have is that the space is too less. Especially if you are tall. You are going to have a bad time.

My assumption is this. BLR - FRA and FRA - BLR have a lot of Indians in the flight. FRa - PDX and EWR - FRA have mostly white people. I feel they purposely dump the bad aircrafts on us brownies. I could be wrong, but I feel this is what they do. They reserve the good aircrafts for people from developed nations.

My dad has travelled on LH for close to 20 years. An average of at least once a year. The only complaints he has are regarding the space. He's never had a problem otherwise.

The thing with LH is that most of their fleet is old. They have relatively less number of newer aircrafts compared to SQ, Emirates, etc... So, getting personal entertainment is quite unlikely. Especially from India.

raksrules said:
Don't take Air India but, they showed Dasvidanya on that huge pathetic screen and then there was heavy turbulence. :mad:

and on LH, they showed me Kabhi Alvida na Kehna :S

mav2000 said:
LH is by far one of the worst airlines to travel with. I used to travel extensively t Europe on work about 3/4 years ago and never once had a good flight. The air hostess's are extremely rude and the service and seats are pathetic. Now this was four five years ago, so things may have changed.

Gannu said:
I've travelled onboard the Lufthansa, Emirates and the Singapore Airlines and I found Lufthansa to be slightly inferior compared to the other two

Same case with me, but maybe that's b'cos i was in economy class.. :D

And, yes they are inferior (in service & hostess :eek:hyeah:) when compared to other EU airlines.. in fact Austrian Airlines is better...

lol... i already mentioned the 747s didnt have Personal entertainment... are my posts not visible to you guys?

Nikhil said:
No they arent. Travelled in April and May of this year.

It all depends on your luck. We went from BLR - FRA - PDX and return was EWR - FRA - BLR.

Some legs of the journey were good. Good in the sense, good space. FRA - BLR was MISERABLE! EWR - FRA was good! Enough space to stretch your leg.

Service is mediocre. Typical German efficiency. As long as you dont expect them to wait on you hanbd and foot, you should be ok. They generally keep loads of chocolates, snacks, drinks(not alcoholic ones), etc near the pantry. And you can go and help yourself to as much as you want anytime. Toilets are clean, seats are clean.

Only problem you may have is that the space is too less. Especially if you are tall. You are going to have a bad time.

My assumption is this. BLR - FRA and FRA - BLR have a lot of Indians in the flight. FRa - PDX and EWR - FRA have mostly white people. I feel they purposely dump the bad aircrafts on us brownies. I could be wrong, but I feel this is what they do. They reserve the good aircrafts for people from developed nations.

My dad has travelled on LH for close to 20 years. An average of at least once a year. The only complaints he has are regarding the space. He's never had a problem otherwise.

The thing with LH is that most of their fleet is old. They have relatively less number of newer aircrafts compared to SQ, Emirates, etc... So, getting personal entertainment is quite unlikely. Especially from India.

... i've already clarified this situation in my previous posts...

there's no prejudice against us Indian's!... God! what is it with most people automatically assuming that most foreign carriers treat us as a substandard market?

It's just not true!

Back