Car & Bike How is the Mahindra Bolero ?

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Mom want to buy a Bolero on loan.
How is it? Pros, Cons and all important information. I don't know anything about cars. I do like Toyota Innova though. Seems like a very good family car. Costs around 9 lakhs i think. What about Bolero?
It will mostly be used for fetching people regularly and hire it out as a private taxi when possible. Roads are not great. Overall its average-bad.
Will a used one be a good idea and at what price can it be found for a very good condition piece?
I'll be the family driver, i'll start taking driving lessons soon. I'm 5'8" btw.

Bolero is a good car for Indian roads. My uncle runs a car renting service, and he wanted his first car to be either Bolero or Innova. He ended up getting the latter.
Reason? He felt that Bolero's engine was a bit louder than the Innova. Another reason was that Innova was more comfortable than the Bolero. Don't know what that means, but that's what he told me.

Yeah Bolera is not that comfortable. Far-back seat is also too small. Can fit only two adult or four kids at the back. So 5-6 adult without the driver. Middle seat is not that good either. I don't know how good or bad the engine/parts are but Bolera looks kind of too expensive imo.
But i love Scorpio's. Slept comfortably in my last journey but mileage is bad i heard. My aunt's in-laws have the latest model.
Innova also has that "family pleasant/comfortable look". But it doesn't look like it will last on rough roads. I've never taken a ride so no actual experience.
Btw,
Avoid Mahindra vehicles at all costs. They are very tough to repair, Poor resale value, Not easily available parts.. Not all repair shops know to deal with it. - My Mechanic.
hmm...

Last edited:
Yeah Bolera is not that comfortable. Far-back seat is also too small. Can fit only two adult or four kids at the back. So 5-6 adult without the driver. Middle seat is not that good either.
But i love Scorpio's. Slept comfortably in my last journey but mileage is bad i heard.
Innova also has that "family pleasant/comfortable look". But i've never taken a ride so no actual experience.
You quoted the wrong post xD
BTW, Innova is very comfortable. Don't know about the Scorpio, but its definitely more comfy than the Xylo. But the leg space if the xylo is damn big. Good for people with long legs.

Why are you even quoting a two wheeler gearless post in a four wheeler thread. Mahindra 4 wheelers are top notch, 2 wheelers are completely opposite.

Why are you even quoting a two wheeler gearless post in a four wheeler thread. Mahindra 4 wheelers are top notch, 2 wheelers are completely opposite.
It was an intentional quote. You posted that when i needed some info of a product under the same brand. But thanks for the clarification. :p
anyway how is the Maintenance cost/available of original spare parts?
also guys is there any other good option at around the same price range? How much are you getting the Bolera for in your region? Everything here is costly, computers, bikes, cars, phones you name it. If i can save a few lakhs then i can also get it in Delhi/Bangalore etc and then transport it using highway vehicles. Transport cost isn't that much. Compact cars takes around 30k fees from Imphal to Delhi.
And if by chance i want to get a USED car what should i look at besides the distance covered?[DOUBLEPOST=1450755566][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mahindra Bolero comes in following 16 versions
16? for real? :O

Last edited:
Better get the Innova it has long life and most reliable and easy available of spare parts plus it can clock upto 1 Lakh Km without any issue or Maruti Suzuki Ertiga or even chevrolet enjoy

You first need to decide your budget. IMO, there is a big difference in the prices of both your choices. Innova parts might be costlier than Bolero's but they are more reliable and so last much longer. One of my friend's Innova has done 2.25L kms and still going strong. If I had the budget I would definitely pick Innova over Bolero. It can handle bad roads very easily as well.

Bolero is a piece of $hite - a relic from the victorian era. Its us who are gullible and keep swallowing crap like that.

^lol.
I just checked the prices online. Innova is a hell lot more costly than I thought. Starts 12L ex-room. >_>
Bolera is more reasonable at 6L.
On an average how long/how many years would it take to repay the loan amount from the revenue generated by the Innova if used as a taxi? I loved the Innova but its price is so...
Also is it available only as a 2L Diesel? Since such vehicles have started to be banned in Delhi i thought that there is a chance for a price cut. That would be awesome. :D

Last edited:
Bolero is a piece of $hite - a relic from the victorian era. Its us who are gullible and keep swallowing crap like that.

Rural and semi-urban owners might differ with you there. What are you comparing it to at that price point?
It all but finished off that other relic - Sumo family.

That question also bothered me when i first visited Delhi. Nearly everywhere I go i saw diesel motors. Having stayed there for some years I finally found the answer: Because they are cheapos. They like to spend minimum expenditure for maximum profit.
dear david singson, i know you are not a cheapo like delhiites but for the sake of entire country, please don't buy a diesel bolero.

I didn't want to pursue it farther. You cant get anything done in a third class state.
come to know from several of your posts that you live in a 3rd class state. please don't let your actions drop it to 4th class... don't buy diesel vehicle.

The other cities/states should learn from Delhi before its too late but then again they probably wont even care. Just look at their laid-back attitude of the govt and the people. Tch!
I also have respiratory lungs problem (Thanks a lot Delhi!)
stay safe. drive vehicles on alternate days. i really wish you guys have healthy lungs. no sarcasm or personal attack implied. it's for your own benefit.

And now my posts come back to bite me on the ass. Thanks a lot man.
Seriously though I didn't know that Bolera was not available in Petrol. I thought that these cars always come in both petrol and diesel.
But I can't do compact cars either. Sorry but!

Are you saying that its sturdy/durable for rough roads?

It is more than just sturdy. Can take as much punishment as you can throw at it and still soldier on. Personally know three people who own it. One has run over 250K KM without giving much cause for concern while the other two's mileage figures are well north of 100K KM. Day in and day out it does the job, THE ONE IT IS SUPPOSED TO.

The Bolero is an unrefined animal, has ergonomics that i would term uncomfortable, seating comfort is so so, and NVH levels that are not really everyone's cup of tea. But when it comes to rural/semi-urban roads, nothing comes close to it in THAT PRICE RANGE. That body on ladder frame chassis ensures no undulations slow it down. All the while returning a decent figure to every liter of fuel it consumes.

The Innova is in a class of its own, which is a no-brainer considering its price tag. So this comparison is meaningless and I am not going to indulge in it. Having said, the new Innova is slated to be launched next year so you can perhaps wait for that.

Rural and semi-urban owners might differ with you there. What are you comparing it to at that price point?
It all but finished off that other relic - Sumo family.

Buy a quanto or xylo. Both have better suspension. The bolero is stuck with Victorian era ox cart suspension at the rear. Or buy a decent hatchback. There is nothing that a bone stock red bolero can do that a modern hatchback can't. Another great option of an abuse friendly car is the logan aka verito.

Buy a quanto or xylo. Both have better suspension. The bolero is stuck with Victorian era ox cart suspension at the rear. Or buy a decent hatchback. There is nothing that a bone stock red bolero can do that a modern hatchback can't. Another great option of an abuse friendly car is the logan aka verito.
Carry 10 people?

bolero especially the engine is known for its ruggedness and not for the creature comforts. so if you want something which can handle abuse day in and day out then go for a bolero.
mahindra spares and labour costs costs a fraction to a toyota, so factor those things too.

all said , if you need something contemporary, atleast look for a TUV300, has a modern engine, and knowing the characteristics of the mhawk, it should be a fill it, and forget it engine.

Back