CPU/Mobo How long will 16gb RAM suffice for gaming?

As long as the ps5 and xbsx are having 16gig in them you're good with 16gig in pc. I play bf5 and it easily makes my system consume 12-13gb of ram usage. I can see ps5 and xbsx having their refreshes in couple of years though with more ram capacity.
16gb is bare minimum if you want to have a good experience and thats why i went with a 32gb kit last year.

As long as the ps5 and xbsx are having 16gig in them you're good with 16gig in pc. I play bf5 and it easily makes my system consume 12-13gb of ram usage. I can see ps5 and xbsx having their refreshes in couple of years though with more ram capacity.
16gb is bare minimum if you want to have a good experience and thats why i went with a 32gb kit last year.
You're kinda wrong. PS5/Xbox make use of their super fast storage technology to access many assets directly from the SSD bypassing RAM completely. That's the reason why gen3 nvme are incompatible with them.
Also you're forgetting you're talking about a PC here where optimizations on games sucks ass compared to the unified hardware across consoles.

Another point is that if you're using 12-13GB of RAM (on a total capacity of 16GB) means you're already heavily invested into pagefile if you haven't checked that. You just don't notice because the game isn't the one using it yet.

Today, I was extracting a game and my RAM usage crossed 19GB.. Oh the joy that I felt, having 32 GB installed :p
Tbh it would have fine totally fine with just 16GB RAM as well. Unzipping files can be unnecessarily RAM intensive because the OS will prefer to load as much of it as possible into memory, even if it doesn't necessarily speed up the task. Plus, if you have an SSD as your primary OS, even 8GB would have been fine.
But yes, no denying the relief XD

16 gb will be okay for a good while, i have actually tested the difference myself ,when i upgraded to my new crucial ballistix rev-e 32 gb kit.
The difference was at max 1-3% in game at max ,and that too not for all games.

In any case its good practice to close the background apps while gaming ,so i dont see 16 gb being prohibitely restrictive in gaming ,unless its in single channel.
As far as windows usage goes ,windows will use the extra ram if its there ,thats just how good OSs work,thats by no means any indication of how much ram you need for gaming.
Its better to spend on other parts like motherboard and cpu ,which you can't easily upgrade later ,and then think about extra ram.(applies for gaming)

Today, I was extracting a game and my RAM usage crossed 19GB.. Oh the joy that I felt, having 32 GB installed :p
Your PC seems to be FIT ;)
Hey all - I wanted to get your views on how long you guys think 16gb ram will cut it (Purely gaming focus). Do you think 16gb+ Ram will be beneficial/the norm, soon?.

Do any y'all have any games hitting/coming close to that threshold right now?

I intend to keep my system (details in sig) for another 3 years at the bare minimum.

TIA.
bhai sahab kuch standard rakho pc ka. public aajkal 18gb mobile mai leke ghum rahi hai :p

truly 32 gb ram should be great. i remember enjoying 48 gb ram on 1 gen i7 absolute monstrosity

Last edited:
Back