How many gamers in India use a 'gaming' mouse?

Krait91

Recruit
Hi Gamers,

I saw a lot of Gamers playing with normal mice even in the pro gaming Cafe's, I spoke to couple of Gamers to know exactly whats the matter why don't they use a gaming mouse?

I got different answer from every gamer even one fellow said does it really matter if we use a Gaming mouse instead of a normal one.

How many Gamers in India use a Gaming mouse?

And why a gamer should buy a gaming mouse instead of using the normal one.

You can use a "normal" (meaning cheap) mouse for "normal" (meaning casual) gaming.

If you want to game seriously, then you will have to buy a gaming mouse and a decent pad. If not, you could find yourself at a disadvantage versus gamers who do use those items.
As for your question on why one should buy a gaming mouse instead of using the normal one -
  • Gaming mice offer superior precision giving you better control and help improve aim/accuracy
  • They usually come with custom drivers that allow configuration of extra buttons, custom DPI & Polling rates, allow saving/loading user configs, feature on the fly DPI switching etc.
  • Tend to be more ergonomic and often come in "left handed" versions for left handed gamers
Also see these threads -
http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/the-gaming-mouse-guide.98553/
http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/gaming-mouse-vs-normal-mouse.123041/

The precision that the gaming mice offer over the regular mice for Dell or HP (that cost <400 rupees) is debatable. I have been using logitech G500 for 3 years. Before that I had used another Logitech 8 button mouse that cost well over 5K that time. My G500 conked off a year ago. I have been gaming with a regular Dell mouse that I bought for 300 bucks. Its been serving me well. The reason why I would still get my G500 repaired or buy a new mouse would be to get the extra buttons. Precision wise, if you see, the pro gamers worldwide play with the normal mouse with a very few exceptions. On paper, high precision laser might sound appealing, but as soon as you start going above 1200 dpi, the ROI start decreasing sharply.

Having said that, the extra buttons are really convenient. When you have melee, grenade, weapon fast switch, special weapon shortcut on one mouse, it feels pretty awesome and that does give you a certain edge over people with normal mouse at equal skill level to yours.

Its been serving me well.
Serving you well how? Would you say you would prefer it over a gaming mouse if you played CS or Dota competitively in a Rs 10, 000 tournament? That's stretching it a bit wouldn't you say? The normal sensor of a run-of-the-mill mouse cannot be relied upon to track accurately during high speed movements, leave alone common issues like ghosting that are far too common with such mice. When I used to play CS competitively I couldn't afford any gaming mouse, so we had to use whatever mouse the organizers gave us. I have played with all those el-cheapo Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft and Logitech mice. I found them totally lacking for high level play.

Precision wise, if you see, the pro gamers worldwide play with the normal mouse with a very few exceptions.
Pro gamers play with normal mouse? Do you have a source for this? Pro gaming means you are sponsored or make money from playing or both. To my knowledge even the poorest pro teams give their players a decent mouse and a mousepad, bigger teams give them keyboards, headsets etc.

The precision that the gaming mice offer over the regular mice for Dell or HP (that cost <400 rupees) is debatable. I have been using logitech G500 for 3 years. Before that I had used another Logitech 8 button mouse that cost well over 5K that time. My G500 conked off a year ago. I have been gaming with a regular Dell mouse that I bought for 300 bucks. Its been serving me well.

The above would depend on several things such as what kind of games you're playing and how "good" (meaning skilled) you are at them. As someone who has been playing FPS since 1994, I personally believe a good mouse (and decent pad) are absolutely critical if you're a serious gamer. If you're a casual gamer then a Rs.400 mouse is just fine.

If two equally skilled players are playing a competitive FPS (say CS or Quake Live for eg) where one is using a Rs.400 mouse and another is using a Razer Deathadder (or equivalent), their performance (read KDR) will not be the same. The one with the better mouse will perform much better. And by "much" I mean the difference will be obvious and noticeable.

Plus, its not just precision, its lift off distance as well. Pick your Rs.400 mouse half an inch off your mouse pad and see what happens to your tracking. Now try that with a quality high end mouse and you will see the difference. Similarly, make very rapid left-right movements with a cheap mouse and then compare that to a quality mouse. The tracking/response difference is very significant IMO.

Precision wise, if you see, the pro gamers worldwide play with the normal mouse with a very few exceptions. On paper, high precision laser might sound appealing, but as soon as you start going above 1200 dpi, the ROI start decreasing sharply.

I would disagree, at least as far as FPS go. All the pros I know of use high end mice and pads - no exceptions. You HAVE to because its an edge you simply cannot afford to lose at that level. If you know any Pro gamers who use normal mice, I would like to know who they are.

As for your mentioning "laser" mice - from what I know, laser mice are in no way superior to high end optical mice. Two reasons I say this -

1) Most of the "pro" gamers that post their configs seem to be using high quality Optical mice. FYI, here's a list of mice QL pro gamers use -
http://pastebin.com/G8qUVjp3
2) Fatality, a "pro" gamer, had a Laser mouse named after him (Creative Fatal1ty Professional Series Laser Gaming) but uses an optical mouse himself. If that is not telling I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Wow, looks like I have a lot of research to do. Whenever I read up articles online, I used to (mis) read that the pro gamers prefer $10 mice over a Razer or a Logitech or some such unless they are sponsored and are provided free mice. I guess times have changed or I assumed too much.

To explain what I was saying again: If Einstein used a reynolds pen to write complex equations and their derivations (e.g. E=mc squared), it does not mean that everybody can achieve the same thing by using the very same brand of pen. Meaning, all in all, in my opinion, it depends on the skill level of a gamer how they are going to perform in a game. I have a Logitech G500 and a Razer goliathus control pad. I am all in favor of gaming gear if you can afford them. However, if someone thinks that simply buying a gaming gear would give them an edge over a person with much higher skill level using a regular mouse, they cant be more wrong. Anyways, that seems to be off topic. The OP just asked how many gamers use a gaming mouse in India. All this does not matter here. I agree with you both Jcelector and RickyK. Peace. :)

> If Einstein used a reynolds pen to write complex equations and their derivations (e.g. E=mc squared), it does not mean that everybody can achieve the same thing by using the very same brand of pen.

This isn't the best example to give ..
Try a Formula 1 Car in the hands of Schumacher vs some regular Joe.

Regular gamers don't even bother with mousepads and prefer grinding down their mouse feet on their uneven desks. There is a competitive edge to using superior hardware but you need skill to get that level where the edge will beat your opponent.

For pros, having a standard gaming apparatus is critical to their performance. They want to compete with the same setup on which they have practiced 100s of hours on.

> However, if someone thinks that simply buying a gaming gear would give them an edge over a person with much higher skill level using a regular mouse, they cant be more wrong.

Yea that's true but if someone is serious about getting good then they can start with a good gaming mouse even at the beginner level and get better there on. Inverse of what you said - you don;t need to master a regular mouse to move on to gaming grade HW, start where ever you are comfortable - have fun (ultimately).

Heh most cheap mice end up skipping with rapid movement. Any skipping means messed up aim which means the player would be struggling most of the time with hardware than putting in his best effort. That is not the ideal scenario by any means. I am a casual gamer and use a DA and a Razer pad. If it makes a difference to me, I wonder what it would be like for someone making a living playing games.

As for laser mice, less said about them the better.

This thread has gone on for so many posts. It's personal choice.

If u can afford one and want one, get a gaming mouse.

If u can't/don't want one, and are comfortable with the El cheapo mouse, please use them.

Then if you lose some tourney with players using pro peripherals, don't blame me.

Well there are a number of reasons why people use dedicated gaming peripherals (including mice) over the non-gaming ones. They have many benefits but they will be useless if you don't exploit the features.
I'll speak from personal experience. I used to play lots of CS1.6 with a normal optical mouse long ago and i wasn't bad with it. I later bought the MX518 gaming mouse for the extra dpi. Most optical mouse has only 400dpi. That was a bit slow for me so i had to buy something with larger dpi. Another thing about dpi is the larger your resolution the higher the dpi you will need. Anyway the MX518 worked really well and i could say that i had a pretty good performance pubbing incl. byoc's.
A friend also used a normal HP optical mouse in one BYOC tourny and they won it. See?
I've come across a lot of gamers who own "gaming" mice but dont even use the macro at all! I dont think they even know how to. I guess they bought gaming stuff for the names only.
Just don't buy if you don't need it. Its not a must-have nor useless. At present I'm using a Razer Lachesis mouse, a very old model. I dont think that a normal optical mouse would last this long. so there you have it, reliability and durability.
Then if you lose some tourney with players using pro peripherals, don't blame me.
LOL

Well there are a number of reasons why people use dedicated gaming peripherals (including mice) over the non-gaming ones. They have many benefits but they will be useless if you don't exploit the features.
I'll speak from personal experience. I used to play lots of CS1.6 with a normal optical mouse long ago and i wasn't bad with it. I later bought the MX518 gaming mouse for the extra dpi. Most optical mouse has only 400dpi. That was a bit slow for me so i had to buy something with larger dpi. Another thing about dpi is the larger your resolution the higher the dpi you will need. Anyway the MX518 worked really well and i could say that i had a pretty good performance pubbing incl. byoc's.
A friend also used a normal HP optical mouse in one BYOC tourny and they won it. See?
I've come across a lot of gamers who own "gaming" mice but dont even use the macro at all! I dont think they even know how to. I guess they bought gaming stuff for the names only.
Just don't buy if you don't need it. Its not a must-have nor useless. At present I'm using a Razer Lachesis mouse, a very old model. I dont think that a normal optical mouse would last this long. so there you have it, reliability and durability.

LOL

Thanks for your comment! You wrote "Just don't buy if you don't need it" . May be its not a must have product for you or for someone who is not serious about Gaming and don't want to play out of his/her room. Earlier in my school days i used to play games with a very normal mouse & keyboard (Logitech combo) and i never felt that i need a gaming mouse but when i entered the college first time i saw someone playing with gaming mouse, after seeing so many gamers playing with gaming mice I started using Razer deathadder (3500 DPI) and I felt the difference between a gaming mouse and a normal mouse.

You can still use a normal mouse but If you want to improve your Gaming then buy a gaming mouse otherwise "you just don't need it" .

Back