How many of you are planning to move to 64bit windows 7

Arun1

Adept
I'm planing to dual boot 64bit Windows 7 with my my current 32 bit Vista and hopefully make a complete transition to 64bit within a years time.
Doing this mainly to remove the Ram bottleneck and better speeds in certain day to day apps I use like Winrar.

I'm dual-booting 64-bit Win7 RC with my 32-bit XP SP3... and I can't remember when was the last time I booted in XP... if that tells you anything. :eek:hyeah:

No hassles but are the apps you run capable of using it or not :)

If the majority of them can then 64 bits is justified otherwise .....

using Windows 7 64BIT

generally all 32 bit apps can run in 64bit barring few optimization/system utilities

only issue is about drivers for the hardware

this issue has also been resolved somewhat .

Have been working with 64bit MS OS since it got launched by MS but my system OS is still 32Bit. Will move on to 64Bit if at all there is a need. But yes any new upgrade would be a 64Bit now :)

i was using windows 7 32-bit with dual boot vista 32-bit (however i never used vista). i had to reinstall my OS a couple of weeks ago.

now i have only windows 7 64-bit and planning to dual boot with OSX. i havent had any problems till now. i suggest you go for it.

PS - im only have 2GB ram and still have no problems with 64-bit. :D

On the 64 bandwagon since the last 1.5 yrs. But damn can't use more than 3.6GB RAM due to my Hauppage PVR-150 driver limitations...:no:

However, there are not many applications that can take advantage of 64 bit, so at the end even if u use 32bit, its just fine.:)

initially i liked win7 64bit but now its been a while i used it

main issue: lack of codecs (64 bit) for mkv esp HD movies

what abt u guys!! which codec ur using except sharky 64bit! (performance is not that great)

clown_abhi said:
However, there are not many applications that can take advantage of 64 bit, so at the end even if u use 32bit, its just fine.:)

..aka the REAL reason to actually move to 64-bit apart from bragging rights.

Going from 16-bit to 32-bit was very big, but going to 64bit from 32 does not seem (as yet ) all that compelling.

on windows: well you have games requiring (recommending?) 64 bit for best results. yes some apps are still 32 bit anyways here.

on linux its a different story, pretty much everything is 64 bit goodness - and yes - bragtastic too :eek:hyeah:

one reason to move to 64 bit for sure is if you have 4gb ram or more (avoiding any tricks to squeeze that extra GB above the 3gb limit)... what with latest ddr3 tri-channel RAM kits coming in at 6GB...

sharmapu said:
initially i liked win7 64bit but now its been a while i used it
main issue: lack of codecs (64 bit) for mkv esp HD movies
what abt u guys!! which codec ur using except sharky 64bit! (performance is not that great)

no codecs issues if you use things like kmplayer or vlc...

Back