How many of you are planning to move to 64bit windows 7

using windows 7 x64 bit for quite some time after having a gud experience with x64 Vista.

any suggestions for hd playback other than vlc? havent had a gud experience on 7 x64.

Read this to get the best possible HD playback ,

Accelerate x.264 1080p movies over the GPU Guide

made quiet a lot of difference on cpu load and the overall picture \colour quality after following the steps in the guide. :)

Coming to the topic..

has any one tried out the 7600.16385 x64 Retail version of Windows 7 ? I guess it's out on MSDN and even some other sources.

Right now I am on RC-7100 build x64 ,and facing no issues as such .So wanted to know if there are any improvements in the Retail copy .

So most of you use Win7 as a primary OS.. Do you use RC or RTM..Doesnt' it have any driver issues..I am gonna try Win7 in my new PC..Would you recommend it?..

Sorry for the hijacking. Thought of creating a new thread. Though this thread looked similar. So posted here..

As for the codec issues... use MPC HomeCinema 64 bit... it's built in MPC decoder can handle most of the HD content and even QuickTime mov container files without sweat (for Mov it will just give one error at start about not finding Apple 64bit library but it will play it just fine) and it does DXVA/GPU acceleration just fine. I've using it and haven't had any issues playing MKV, M4V, MOV and MPEG-4 (Xvid, Divx) files at all.

As for actual usage of 64-bit... if you're using video editing apps, photoshop or any app that's 64-bit, you'll appreciate the speed and memory usage 64-bit apps bring forth. My only issue is with Adobe for not bringing 64-bit flash player yet... my browsing is still 32-bit. The last Minefield (64-bit FireFox) I tried was really good, the only reason I couldn't make it my default browser was lack of Flash Player.

EDIT: @Fah33m: That link was a good read, and it says exactly what I've experienced regarding MPC-HC... especially the Shader Filters juju MPC-HC can do. :)

i'm already been using it since the Beta and RC, i pretty much happy with it's stability.. But i love Vista with SP2 also..

RTM of Windows 7 is way too good now.. I have TECH-NET Account. which i bought when there was an offer in may 2009, for 249$, 1 Year and 3 months.

Windows 7 ultimate is cool.

i'm currently using Windows 7 Enterprise, but i'm getting stability problems with some applications. Windows Live and Skype causing IE to crash with FAULTY ACCESS EXCEPTION.

might be a rare case of windows live and skype, not the fault of windows 7, because windows 7 ultimate was working fine.

i'm disabling those add-on's in IE and going to give it a try and see.

I'm using 64-bits only, since i have 8GB ram, i thought of getting full utilization of it.

Maybe we should move from the "we will not use it until there is a benefit" standpoint. MS should not have released a 32bit Win7; should have pushed the industry towards 64 bit computing. But then they probably heard of the "we will not use it until there is a benefit" crowd.

Its a catch 22 situation. Rather it was. Now MS has ensured that you can use a X64 system without any issues whatsoever. Your standard x86 apps will work fine out of the box. Even the driver support is robust.

Now unless we give them a reason to focus their development resources towards 64 bit apps, it will not happen. So I really dont understand people who have latest hardware but will not install a 64 bit OS.

Renegade said:
Maybe we should move from the "we will not use it until there is a benefit" standpoint. MS should not have released a 32bit Win7; should have pushed the industry towards 64 bit computing. But then they probably heard of the "we will not use it until there is a benefit" crowd.

Its a catch 22 situation. Rather it was. Now MS has ensured that you can use a X64 system without any issues whatsoever. Your standard x86 apps will work fine out of the box. Even the driver support is robust.

Now unless we give them a reason to focus their development resources towards 64 bit apps, it will not happen. So I really dont understand people who have latest hardware but will not install a 64 bit OS.

Right On!! These days, most of your hardware is capable of 64-bit, why not utilize it fully?

Plus, MS has all power and dominance to push industry towards 64-bit, especially with Win7. Because of early bad press Vista might have missed it's chance... but Win7 seems to be ready to wash it all out and make windows exciting again. They really should have dropped the 32-bit version. Unless, you push devs, we will not see rapid 64-bit adoption.... something like just multi-core awareness. We are yet to see day-to-day apps get fully multi-core optimized, although specialized apps (Video editing/encoding, 3D apps) have been multi-threaded/multi-core aware since long. I hope 64-bit gets more development backing than that.

I had been using Win 7 x64. There are no compatibility issues with most of the softwares. The only issue is with the drivers. No Asus drivers are available for win 7.Some audio drivers may not work (like those of SondMax). other than that, there is no problem with it.

This thread has been pretty reassuring to say the least.

So the only problems one can expect is the drivers which hopefully would be a non issue in another year.

Back