How many of you like Dragonball Z

Is it like the series in which they play cards, and monsters come out of cards and fight. With the irritating japnese animation which shows the eyes trembling and only the background in motion.

But I love the way they speak with only corner of their mouths moving, more or less like Popeye mumbling..

Guess I find the japanese animation style to oirritating to actually watch more then a couple of minutes.

Gimme GI Joe or Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles in English anyday.

^lol dude DBZ animation is totally different than your regualar japanese anime. I hate that anime too, like Cardcaptor Sakura and even Pokemon :no:

Watch an episode or two, you'll find it much better than a TMNT ep. :p

^ yea Toriyama probably explained the fusions but i still don't quite like the huge power level jumps.. i know its training but still.. at one point it got a bit too repetitive for me and i did find the quality going down.. to me, DBZ was the best upto when Trunks comes back in time and rapes Frieza and his dad King Cold (or was it his brother, cooler? i forget)

@Aces, heh don't even compare REAL anime to that pokemon/digimon/cardcaptor bullshit :> sadly, in a lot of places, anime is stereotyped by stuff like that. however, the truth is that anime as such is really diverse in its content and style. you have stuff for all ages and that includes extreme gore and hardcore sex. try the Ninja Scroll movie anime if you want a taste of that.

If you're willing to try an anime series, i'd suggest Naruto which is quite addictive right from the beginning or Bleach which is a little slow initially but is really action packed from episode 20 or so.. There's Initial D if you like racing stuff too (not like speed racer crap :p) they're all quite easily available these days on torrent sites or http. lemme know if you want me to find you some links :) i used to have the exact same opinion as you about anime until i tried it. imo, it owns the crap outta any other style of animation right now. simple but most definitely effective. oh, most importantly, watch it in japanese with english subtitles.

Aces170 said:
With the irritating japnese animation which shows the eyes trembling and only the background in motion.
But I love the way they speak with only corner of their mouths moving, more or less like Popeye mumbling..
Guess I find the japanese animation style to oirritating to actually watch more then a couple of minutes.
Spot on. Although the art is excellent, if only it wasn't animated at 5 frames per second.
Worst is when they suddenly sprout bug eyes to denote emberassment/humour/shock whatever and put on a constipated expression (omg pikachoo hi2u!). DBZ does it too.

As I said the art is excellent, only animes I ever watched are Force Five and Transformers and the attention to detailing & proportions remains unmatched.

^ that's because its only 2 real frames being looped. they used to do it to save time and money as in most cases, there were very few people working on one series. the style has just continued and i think it's just brilliant. being able to convey intense emotions and create suspense with just 2 frames.. americans should learn from these guys. as i said before, judging from pokemon etc isn't a good idea. in fact, even DBZ isn't the best example since it does drag quite a lot in some parts with all that powering up which lasts for hours :/

Pokemon, Digimon, etc were meant for kids they did that purpose very well, i know many of my brother's friends watch them at 5pm weekdays, buy cheetos simply to collect the tazoos(my brother collected more than 100 tazoos:p). But then Dragonball Z served good for small kids as well as big guyz like me, my uncle in s'pore is a hardcore fan of DBZ.

I know in DBZ the heroes use to drag there speach, power up for a episode or so but in the meanwhile there will be something going on.... sometime they does so to buy some time for someone to escape or so.... DBGT was kinda of sucking but then it had a good moral for the Z-warriors, the dragon tought them not to depend on dragonballs for each and everything, also i can not forget in the last goku exchanges his life for 1 last wish to undo all things that happened in the planet.

Other than DBZ Samurai X is another Masterpiece in anime, only yesterday i saw the 2 ovas those are simply awesome:eek:hyeah:(very good graphics too). I haven't seen naruto and bleach so can't really comment on them, but i know they are great.

ashr said:
oh and DBGT is pure horseshit because it wasn't written by Toriyama but Funimation (America?) themselves. goku oozaru and super saiyan level 999999999.. :/

Yes it was not written by toriyama, but then wth are u telling about Super Saiyan 999999999??? Goku transformed into golden oozaru so as to transform into Super Saiyan 4. I will not accept DBGT is fully a crap, i can say only 65% is crap. No offense meant:)

^i meant how they kept increasing the super saiyan levels. got a bit repetitive for me. i also didn't like the goku oozaru thing when they clearly explained in DBZ as to why he can't do it.

Back