How much does fiber cable costs and in what length do they come per coil?

These cables need repeaters within a km!?
No u won't need any repeater for this much distance

My original plan was to get a Cat5 LAN cable from a local cafe to my location and then pay him a fraction of the monthly bill lol but after reading about it I came to know that it would be impossible.
Better get an outdoor cpe for tx/rx and use it....much better and less hassle...get a higher range one though for future purposes

@iPwnz
> One ISP said I can also use a wireless connection using their receiver and will costs me 15k.

If you can use your own equipment and connect to their wifi service, it may be cheaper ?
Consider equipment cost as one time investment.
As usual, benefit with using wifi is that it does not depend on anything else than your own infra, mostly no physical damage like some thing fell on a wire and cut the fiber which is expensive to repair, etc. which is a major caveat with fiber.

Do you have friends or family in a nearby town with fiber? In particulatr, any place from where you can get Line of Sight between the highest point of your house and the other place.
Both TP Link and Ubiquiti have some excellent Point-to-point connection equipment which don’t cost much and are extremely reliable over a distance of a few kms.

They won’t get you gigabit connectivity if thats what you are looking for but 100+ mbps is very easily feasible at a much lower cost than running long fiber runs.

I had setup a 1200m (1.2km as the crow flies) LoS P2P connection for extended family in my village .. Excluding the cost of the minor civil work (setting up a tall-ish pole), the cost was well under 10K …
and its been running extremely reliably for the last 7-8 years. This was on older equipment with 100mbps max link speed and the actual speeds are in the range of 60-70mbps. Newer equipment should be even better.

There are google map overlays i had checked back then to assess feasibility ..just search for Line of sight overlays for google maps
Thanks a lot for this. Need a dummy guide/intro and equipment needed. As for the LoS, imagine it's a hilly terrain.

Thanks a lot for this. Need a dummy guide/intro and equipment needed. As for the LoS, imagine it's a hilly terrain.
Just look up point-to-point wifi connection guides for TP Link and similarly for ubiquiti. There are plenty on the interwebs .. i can defo help once you start to work out the details.

On your 2nd statement, that won't help. YOu will have to zero in on the desired sites and then place them on a google map overlay for LoS to see how viable it is.
If there is a high hill between point A and B blocking LoS, it wont be reliable. or may not even work at all

If A is at a point higher than B with no intervening hills, that would work fine.
Unlike an omnidirectional setup (like at home) which works fine with reflected waves, point-to-point relies on a clear line of sight between the 2 points .. Kind of analogous to whether a bullet fired from A at the right angle will reach point B.. or whether it will hit an intervening obstruction.
But you will have to check it properly before starting

Talked to the ISP again. They said the cable is a 2 core and will costs ₹7/meter.
As for the main connection there are some households which are interested so the ISP said we can get the 2 core cable together and then split it to the households. My concern here is will the speed be compromised?
AFAIK the ones near the highway are connected to the main box which has the big cable.
The one in village will be split from the small 2 core cable.

Talked to the ISP again. They said the cable is a 2 core and will costs ₹7/meter.
As for the main connection there are some households which are interested so the ISP said we can get the 2 core cable together and then split it to the households. My concern here is will the speed be compromised?
AFAIK the ones near the highway are connected to the main box which has the big cable.
2 core fiber optic will be very thin same like used at end customers.......just check it once and if others are also interested then let everyone pool in and get the higher core one as it will be very fragile....as far as speed is concerned it won't be issue as fiber optic can support very high speeds and even after splitting after termination it won't be issue.....only problem would be the fragility of it as it could break easily.....will the isp provider be taking responsibility in case of any breakage or fiber cut?

2 core fiber optic will be very thin same like used at end customers.......just check it once and if others are also interested then let everyone pool in and get the higher core one as it will be very fragile....as far as speed is concerned it won't be issue as fiber optic can support very high speeds and even after splitting after termination it won't be issue.....only problem would be the fragility of it as it could break easily.....will the isp provider be taking responsibility in case of any breakage or fiber cut?
Everyone here is using 2 core it seems. All the wires are the same. The repair will have to be borne by them.

Everyone here is using 2 core it seems. All the wires are the same. The repair will have to be borne by them.
Nice if they are going to borne the the repair work....get all interested parties in and get it started.....get all the details from isp regarding final charges of installation along with any other charges whatever there are and then share with others also or take 1 or 2 interested party with u and get on with it i wud say.

The 2 core cables are actually for end user and the cost sounds expensive to me. This is because these are usually not well protected and will be easily damaged.

Will speak to my contact and try to get details. Would appreciate if you can estimate length requirement.

Yes, but ISP factors in some the cost for replacement etc while for you everything will be chargeable.

Also, are any of the ISPs connected with Alliance? @SayantanGR could help with some contacts as well.

Also, @vishalrao has gotten his society wired for optical he could give some ideas.

The 2 core cables are actually for end user and the cost sounds expensive to me. This is because these are usually not well protected and will be easily damaged.

Will speak to my contact and try to get details. Would appreciate if you can estimate length requirement.

Yes, but ISP factors in some the cost for replacement etc while for you everything will be chargeable.

Also, are any of the ISPs connected with Alliance? @SayantanGR could help with some contacts as well.

Also, @vishalrao has gotten his society wired for optical he could give some ideas.
+1 - Its is very unlikely that a 2 core cable will sustain for long on an outdoor long run. They are flimsy enough to get damaged even indoors if not routed or protected through a conduit

Lol that might explain why the ISP servicemen are always away for repair duty. But I honestly thought it would be fine.
About 900-1000m @vivek.krishnan
Also the main ISP is ShreeNE based in Guwahati.

Just look up point-to-point wifi connection guides for TP Link and similarly for ubiquiti. There are plenty on the interwebs .. i can defo help once you start to work out the details.

On your 2nd statement, that won't help. YOu will have to zero in on the desired sites and then place them on a google map overlay for LoS to see how viable it is.
If there is a high hill between point A and B blocking LoS, it wont be reliable. or may not even work at all

If A is at a point higher than B with no intervening hills, that would work fine.
Unlike an omnidirectional setup (like at home) which works fine with reflected waves, point-to-point relies on a clear line of sight between the 2 points .. Kind of analogous to whether a bullet fired from A at the right angle will reach point B.. or whether it will hit an intervening obstruction.
But you will have to check it properly before starting
I too have a similar situation. I have internet connection downhill in a building . Around 500 meters away At the top of the hill covered by dense trees i have another building which requires internet connectivity.Will a Tenda O1 Wireless 2.4GHz 8dBi Outdoor Point to Point CPE will be a solution or I have to go for 23 dbi ? Does it work if its not Line of Sight?Do I need 2 CPE - one for transmission and another for Receving? Please pardon me for posting it here rather than opening a new thread. Laying cable is not an option as tree branches fell all the time

I too have a similar situation. I have internet connection downhill in a building . Around 500 meters away At the top of the hill covered by dense trees i have another building which requires internet connectivity.Will a Tenda O1 Wireless 2.4GHz 8dBi Outdoor Point to Point CPE will be a solution or I have to go for 23 dbi ? Does it work if its not Line of Sight?Do I need 2 CPE - one for transmission and another for Receving? Please pardon me for posting it here rather than opening a new thread. Laying cable is not an option as tree branches fell all the time
Trees in the LoS will cause issues but it's nowhere as bad as a building etc blocking the LoS. Also 500 meters is a short enough distance. It is not ideal but will most likely work fine.
However its hard to say without actually seeing the site (or trying it out)

Given the less than ideal conditions though, 8dbi may fall short and at a minimum, try using tpl cpe510 (13dbi) or higher

I guess 2.4ghz will jave lot of interference and speed also will be low....get some good gear...search some more and better open a new thread

Which one is better - considering the difference is only Rs 1300-
1.https://l1nq.com/6xfHc --TP-Link CPE610 High Power Outdoor CPE/Access Point or
2.https://acesse.dev/H1GCd --TP-Link CPE510 High Power Outdoor CPE/Access Point

Lol that might explain why the ISP servicemen are always away for repair duty. But I honestly thought it would be fine.
About 900-1000m @vivek.krishnan
Also the main ISP is ShreeNE based in Guwahati.

This slipped my mind, I will ask on Tuesday.

Would suggest to look at WISP operators in your area and get used equipment. They would also be able to help you with the setup, considering how green you are.

I setup a ptp link recently. I am using cpe710, link distance is 927 meters. Planning this with google maps is difficult so I prefer to use ispdesign.ui.com (better ui built for this purpose). In my setup, I get 650mbps throughput in either direction.

Back