How much does the College matter in Engineering

ok.. so lets take it this way.. i'm in a government college ( decent not awesome , MDU Rohtak btw ) .. and i have 4yrs of experience working in Social Media (by the end of my degree) alongside and in tech journalism as well.

Where does that put me ? I don't really wish to enter the league of coding monkeys :p I'd rather go join a startup / enter social media full time / web development.

Frankly speaking , college placements would not cover any of those fields... so now what ? Does my college play a role here as well ?

I wouldn't be able to tell for sure, but social media and networking is something that is taking off in this country and am sure media houses like Network 18 would be interested. However, it would be worthwhile to check what are the necessary basic courses that one can probably have - either full time or correspondence - which increases your chances of being 'taken seriously' -that's probably the biggest hurdle a college fresher faces, by virtue of the fact that youngsters are rarely, if ever, taken seriously

colleges do matter when it comes to placements. Mumbai university has assigned grades to the colleges who comes under it.

Most of the top MNC and IT companies come in 'A' grade colleges for recruitment. So opt for 'A' grade college for engg. and for secure your future. But in engg. you have to do self study. Dont depent on college.

agantuk said:
^ You seem to be speaking from campus placements perspective. If that's the case, I am afraid you are wrong. That is the phase when the college matters the most. The logic of going by better projects works as a tie-breaker when two colleges are even, not otherwise.
Hmm, I never talked about campus placements.. I'm talking about non-campus interview calls.. Campus calls always look for better colleges.

Rahulrulez said:
Hmm, I never talked about campus placements.. I'm talking about non-campus interview calls.. Campus calls always look for better colleges.
makes no difference.. for your first job the college you are from is of primary importance..

India is highly perception driven, even if the parent firm is non-Indian based. A good 'brand' as the latest alma mater helps. Not saying this should be the prime factor or end of the story if achieved, but it will also not harm you....! Availability of jobs is less compared to the infux of graduates each year, and most HR departments in organizations have a 'company bucketization' matrix which they use for screening/opportunity/compensation offers. Line managers too are biased.

To make it quite simple.

How many people will such a profile are making 3-5 Lacs per month at the age of 40? Businesses not accounted. Only jobs, freelance, consultants etc.

1) IIT BTech Degree Top 200 AIR. Above average/Good CGPA. No education after that.

I would say at least 30% of such people if not 60-70% of such people earn at least 3 lacs per month today, after about 15 years of their graduation. Many earn more of course. Please note, I am assuming that they didn't persue education after this.

2) Any BTech from colleges other than IIT/BITS/DCE. No post grad.

I would say hardly 5-10% or less of such people if at all.

3. BTech + MBA from best colleges but non-IIT/non-IIM

I would say hardly 30-40% of such people will be earning 3-4 lacs per month unless they have a BTech from IIT and/or MBA from IIM.

4. BTech + MBA from colleges other than FMS/IIM/DCE/BITS

Less than 10% of the people I think

NOTE

I am not talking of businesses and definitely not family businesses or jobs through contacts. I am talking of genuine merit in a job.

As I mentioned, there may be a handful of people earning over 50 lacs a year without even a degree for that matter, rarely even in a job. However, the chances are much brighter with an IIT/IIM degree.

Another thing to note is:

Colleges lower than DCE only get crap companies with Infy, Acc etc being the major ones. These companies overqualify people with a decently high aptitude and don't take them. Thus, the very fact that you don't get to a top college and further don't get overqualified by Infy etc(ASSUMING THAT YOU ANSWERED TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY), means that you are possibly less talented than the cream and thus won't ever reach that stage.

Just not-making it to the IITs need not mean much, you may still be a genius. But if you aren't even overqualified in aptitude test which is meant for the masses and which probably overqualifies half the IITians, certainly means that there are high chances of you not being much talented and that too means you will probably end up in an average shell.

quite heavy stuff.

I would like to add that getting into IIT is not the end but beginning of a 4 year long struggle.

Only key is hard work and this goes for all other colleges.

@OP i have just one advice. Work as hard as you can. You have good amount of time with you.

This thread is awesome.

So many perspectives. :D

I personally don't see how a college's name could matter. Rather, to be specific, I don't see how I could let my college's name matter when I'm up for a placement, or anything that's up for grabs for that matter, as long as I can prove myself.

What I believe is, you decide what you want and make efforts or do things that help you command the thing that you want.

Enjoy your studies, get good grades, or at least be involved in cool interesting projects - create something that reflects your worth, something that speaks and vouches for you and if you do that, mujhe nahi lagta kisi ke baap ki aukaat hogi naa bolne ki :p

As far as the average sal and all is concerned, I can't really speak, because I myself am in the third year. I don't think about the money.

matters a lot, a guy performed awesomely in the job interview, test.. but his college has become the deciding factor now, because its crappy, the top management now to decide...... Just today !!

btw the job is game engine programmer at Adobe Director/Shockwave team !

College names matter quiet a bit if you're aiming for great companies. If you're fine with joining infosys or TCS or wipro and sitting on the bench for 8 months then just about any college will do.

rockinruler said:
This thread is awesome.
So many perspectives. :D

I personally don't see how a college's name could matter. Rather, to be specific, I don't see how I could let my college's name matter when I'm up for a placement, or anything that's up for grabs for that matter, as long as I can prove myself.
What I believe is, you decide what you want and make efforts or do things that help you command the thing that you want.

Enjoy your studies, get good grades, or at least be involved in cool interesting projects - create something that reflects your worth, something that speaks and vouches for you and if you do that, mujhe nahi lagta kisi ke baap ki aukaat hogi naa bolne ki :p

As far as the average sal and all is concerned, I can't really speak, because I myself am in the third year. I don't think about the money.
People have a habit of judging others by labels. (Look at the sales of branded clothes/fashion accessories). I agree with you and your thoughts about not letting such labels matter, but when it seems to matter to 90% of the people out there, why not acquire that label? (i.e. if the cost of that acquisition is not too high). Just don't let it define your self-worth but enjoy any perks such a label brings. That is my philosophy on this matter. ;)

I agree that getting into IIT alone doesn't do everything. You need to slog the remaining 4 years and the life after that as well.

But if you don't make it to the IITs, no matter how much you slog, you won't get the results that slogging in IIT would have got. Even if you do reach that stage some time in life, just in case you are that capable and lucky enough to reach there, it could be a good 5-7 years late which is often too late in life.

rockinruler said:

Arre bhai, agar koi dekhne ko bhi tayyar nahi hoga, to kisko kya talent dikhaoge!!! As simple as that. Remember there are lacs of students out there eligible for placements. The companies don't have the time - nor does it make any sense - to evaluate every single eligible candidate out there. That's when they pick the colleges to narrow down their criteria. A college with a reputation - which, btw, is built over years by virtue of the performance of its alumni - increases the chances of getting a brighter talent.

rite said:
I agree that getting into IIT alone doesn't do everything. You need to slog the remaining 4 years and the life after that as well.

But if you don't make it to the IITs, no matter how much you slog, you won't get the results that slogging in IIT would have got. Even if you do reach that stage some time in life, just in case you are that capable and lucky enough to reach there, it could be a good 5-7 years late which is often too late in life.
Everyone bow in front of the IIT god, the non-IITians are doomed :bleh:

rite said:
To make it quite simple.

How many people will such a profile are making 3-5 Lacs per month at the age of 40? Businesses not accounted. Only jobs, freelance, consultants etc.

1) IIT BTech Degree Top 200 AIR. Above average/Good CGPA. No education after that.

I would say at least 30% of such people if not 60-70% of such people earn at least 3 lacs per month today, after about 15 years of their graduation. Many earn more of course. Please note, I am assuming that they didn't persue education after this.

2) Any BTech from colleges other than IIT/BITS/DCE. No post grad.

I would say hardly 5-10% or less of such people if at all.

3. BTech + MBA from best colleges but non-IIT/non-IIM

I would say hardly 30-40% of such people will be earning 3-4 lacs per month unless they have a BTech from IIT and/or MBA from IIM.

4. BTech + MBA from colleges other than FMS/IIM/DCE/BITS

Less than 10% of the people I think

NOTE

I am not talking of businesses and definitely not family businesses or jobs through contacts. I am talking of genuine merit in a job.

As I mentioned, there may be a handful of people earning over 50 lacs a year without even a degree for that matter, rarely even in a job. However, the chances are much brighter with an IIT/IIM degree.

Another thing to note is:

Colleges lower than DCE only get crap companies with Infy, Acc etc being the major ones. These companies overqualify people with a decently high aptitude and don't take them. Thus, the very fact that you don't get to a top college and further don't get overqualified by Infy etc(ASSUMING THAT YOU ANSWERED TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY), means that you are possibly less talented than the cream and thus won't ever reach that stage.

Just not-making it to the IITs need not mean much, you may still be a genius. But if you aren't even overqualified in aptitude test which is meant for the masses and which probably overqualifies half the IITians, certainly means that there are high chances of you not being much talented and that too means you will probably end up in an average shell.

This is BULLSHIT!!!

Why do you think money = happy life ?

When you are good at your work, money will definitely come!

And by your standard, how many IITians get more than Rs. 50 crore per year? Does that mean that next thing you will tell him to become Suresh Kalmadi?

I mean, even before the lad has given the entrance examination, you are telling him to think about his salary when he completes 15 years in his field!

I was within the top 20 in JEE, but didn't join IIT coz I wanted to be with my GF. Took admission in her college ;)

But still, today I am working with the best people in my field. And my scholarship is more than some of the figures that you have pointed out :) (ya, I am still studying for an advanced degree).

@OP

First decide the subject that you truly enjoy. A subject should decide the institution, not the other way round.

Next, try your level best to get into a reputed institution.

Doesn't matter which institute you join, enjoy your college life (the best years!) and develop a real good understanding of your subject.

Rest all will automatically fall into place.

All such institution comparisons are useless unless you have your result in hand.

amitn18 said:
I was within the top 20 in JEE, but didn't join IIT coz I wanted to be with my GF. Took admission in her college ;)
Ohh...really? Can you tell the year in which you took JEE and your precise AIR?

Well in my opinion, college name matters for 1st Job. You get a great start of your career...while students from other college get a avg. starting salary of 3 LPA, IIT graduates start from 6LPA. After that, you have to work hard and shine your skills...because after first job, your next job depends on your skills.

Back