How much does the College matter in Engineering

amitn18 said:
This is BULLSHIT!!!

I was within the top 20 in JEE, but didn't join IIT coz I wanted to be with my GF. Took admission in her college ;)

@OP

First decide the subject that you truly enjoy. A subject should decide the institution, not the other way round.

u decided to leave iit coz of ur gf and u saying decide on the subject u enjoy :p

b/w me too interested in ur jee details :D

akhurana said:
u decided to leave iit coz of ur gf and u saying decide on the subject u enjoy :p

Plz try and understand... I decided my subject! Institution wasn't in my control...

And I won't give out my details to anybody... think what you want :)
Anyway, I am not going to start a war over here, but I still recommend the OP to consult the best faculty and then decide, rather than advice on any forums...

College does matter for your first job. Seriously it does. Forget the IITs and the NITs. You'll always manage to get a good job there in campus placements. If you get into those, good for you. End that debate here.

Let's talk about the private colleges since no one has thrown the perspective on that.

I'll just point out some live examples -

1. My college, which is one of the known private colleges in Pune, had the worst possible T&P dept. We had 3 I.T. companies for our entire batch and the T&P ma'am tells me "we already have 3, what else do you want?" when I ask here will we have more companies coming in.. :|My friend's college on the other hand had a fantastic T&P dept. They got the entire batch placed by the year's end. I was lucky enough to get into a medium sized company(off campus) where I'm getting fantastic exposure.

2. My friend's elder brother did his engineering in I.T. from a small college which had just completed 2-3 years and was yet to have it's first T&P. However, luckily he managed to get into Sapient (through campus placement itself) and after 9 years (no masters degree) and one job switch later, he is now earning a 6 figures salary in the U.S.

The point I'm trying to make is that for the first job, the college name and brand does matter. You get a good starting package, a good company and if you put in some efforts, you can steadily rise to the top.

After 5 odd years, no one is really going to care. What I've seen is that after every educational milestone, i.e. school, then college, then the first job, the last one starts seeming more and more insignificant. Of course there are companies who only shortlist on basis of IITs and IIMs even if the person has years of experience, but most of the companies don't.

Later, the only thing that matters is what company you have worked in. I feel that branding helps more in the later stages of your career.

amitn18 said:
This is BULLSHIT!!!

Why do you think money = happy life ?

When you are good at your work, money will definitely come!
I disagree here. It's quite easy to say 'do what you like, money will come'.

Doing what I like is not going to pay me as much money as doing what I am good at. I will exchange my time doing what I am good at for enough money that will let me do what I like. This does not mean I will be doing something that I do not enjoy. I like the work I am doing. But would I be doing this same work if I had enough money in the bank to retire, I don't think so.

Isnt that simple.. try to clear IIT.. If U succeed, great..

If you dont, what can U do.. U just have two attempts for it.. Get into the college you are getting..

Story over..!!

There are other options.

1. Try for IIT.

2. Try for top colleges abroad.

3. Try for top colleges in other fields like St Stephens, SRCC, CBS, NLSUI all these colleges have an avg package pf 5-6 LPA CTC or more.

4. Consider BITS Pilani, DTU, NSIT etc along with the above mentioned colleges.

If you don't get any of the above colleges, you need to rely on the best NITS etc.

whatsinaname said:
Doing what I like is not going to pay me as much money as doing what I am good at. I will exchange my time doing what I am good at for enough money that will let me do what I like. This does not mean I will be doing something that I do not enjoy. I like the work I am doing. But would I be doing this same work if I had enough money in the bank to retire, I don't think so.
Damn. Every single word just like I tell my colleagues. :) Agree 100% with what you stated

I had some of the same thoughts, but then I met Mr. Anubrotto Roy (Ex-IITian, google him). He is surely one of the most inspirational person I have met, and he guided me in a phenomenal way... Never been the same person, running on a treadmill towards the carrot in front of me. :)

Consider it this way: Don't you think that scientists in National laboratories, IITs, IISc, etc have been offered 10 times their current salary by any industry? Most of them are graduates in ivy league Univs in the US, but still they prefer to come to India and do free research, not under any "Boss" or no "deadlines". That is my point, just talk to some of these people freely, maybe over a cup of coffee, and get invaluable advice from them.

And I see that many people here have an axe to grind about free thinking, so I will not pursue it here further.

P.S. I am not in the engineering field, but I still think mentors are more valuable than the stamp of an institution.

Anyway, thanks for this healthy debate.

^ Agree with you mate but then everyone has different opinions . Some rate money/salary over job satisfaction and vice versa. I for sure know I wont be able to stick to an IT job after my engineering even if it pays me very highly and I am not liking it . Have already started looking for different options :p.

FaH33m said:
^ Agree with you mate but then everyone has different opinions . Some rate money/salary over job satisfaction and vice versa. I for sure know I wont be able to stick to an IT job after my engineering even if it pays me very highly and I am not liking it . Have already started looking for different options :p.

We're alike in that respect then :p I definitely will NOT be pursuing a career in CS after my engineering is done... i think i know where i want to be and i've already taken a tiny step towards it.

@rite

You mention that if not IIT , you should look up foreign unis... that may be correct but not every one can afford them. Tbh, i didn't make it through IIT and missed scholarship in a kick ass (top-15 worldwide) foreign uni... as all dates had gone through by then, i'm stuck in a POS college.. but u gotta make the best of where u are right ?

@OP : Don't worry too much.. this tension/apprehension will seriously inhibit your preps , trust me on that. Study coz you want to study, understand the concepts and leave the rest to the results. Your result is dependent on how well u prepare, not how well you worried about entrance :p

College doesn't matter the "name" of the college matters but if you got talent then that is nullified

Just make sure you get in college with good placements if you are too lazy to search of job..but mind you jobs are plenty off campus too, rest teaching as usual is crappy everywhere no one bothers for others in senior colleges.Everyone is too busy in his own profits.

dhruvrock2000 said:
We're alike in that respect then :p I definitely will NOT be pursuing a career in CS after my engineering is done... i think i know where i want to be and i've already taken a tiny step towards it.

ditto, same with me. Earlier it was parent's pressure, engineer or doctor (3 idiots thing). Was thrown into sucky FIITJEE classes just after i passed 10th, then FIITJEE + 11/12th CBSE. Everything was messed as i wasnt made to handle all that. And result was even poorer than i expected. Still against my wish i was admitted to a engineering colg on a base of manag. + sports quota. in 3rd year right now, doing it but i seriously think and regret that this wasnt for me. Anyways, moving to good. now i know for what i am made. Have stated taking steps towards it. in all, take your passion as a profession. :)

If you don't get through IIT, there are some decent colleges (the best in India for non-engg) which pay comparable or higher to DTU/BITS Pilani etc. If you don't get through IIT, you can always go for DTU/BITS (but not lower) and a good MBA from IIMs or abroad.

Other good colleges include top colleges from DU, NLSUI and perhaps one or two more.

rite said:
49.8% of the CEOs in India's top 200 companies are from IITs and IIMs.
I don't know where you pulled these figures from, but since you are the legendary Tech Boy I will accept that with out question (and a sack of coarse salt). But then doesn't that mean that 50.2% of the CEO's are not from IIT's and IIM's and if you use the same math that I am accustomed to, then 49.8% not greater than 50.2 % even for extremely large values of 49.8 and extremely small values of 50.2. This sir is a prime example of self pwnage.

nothing matter much :p remember the past n u will find things that was of huge importance n now u don't even remember it clearly...:)

do wht u love or enjoy(some kind of work) , nothing else is ever required. :D

Back