Budget 0-20k How much to pay for a used RX 5500XT?

A colleague of mine is looking to get rid of his old GPU and I offered to buy it from him. It's an 8GB RX 5500XT purchased in November 2020, I'm not really sure what price to offer to him. It was 20k when he bought it, it seems to be in impeccable condition. My main reason for buying from him is because he won't charge a bomb and will accept a fair price (not considering the current GPU pricing trend). Can anyone help me come up with an acceptable price I could offer to pay? Thanks!

A colleague of mine is looking to get rid of his old GPU and I offered to buy it from him. It's an 8GB RX 5500XT purchased in November 2020, I'm not really sure what price to offer to him. It was 20k when he bought it, it seems to be in impeccable condition. My main reason for buying from him is because he won't charge a bomb and will accept a fair price (not considering the current GPU pricing trend). Can anyone help me come up with an acceptable price I could offer to pay? Thanks!
At least what he originally paid for it given he can probably sell it in the open market for 30k-ish.

Wow, people really have a changed perspective of used GPU pricing even if they don't consider current pricing yet 16-17K for a GPU that performs like a 980 or just below 1650S? Nope! I think you're still keeping it in mind.
12-13K would be a good price disregarding current market conditions.

Wow, people really have a changed perspective of used GPU pricing even if they don't consider current pricing yet 16-17K for a GPU that performs like a 980 or just below 1650S? Nope! I think you're still keeping it in mind.
12-13K would be a good price disregarding current market conditions.
It's on par with the 1650S (a few frames faster in most games). Probably better longevity because it has twice the VRAM.

It's on par with the 1650S (a few frames faster in most games). Probably better longevity because it has twice the VRAM.
Umm... okay but still it's like having 12GB of VRAM on 3060. The GPU doesn't have the core power to drive it. It's not like it's a 1440p GPU. So 8GB is only good for maybe minecraft mods and mining lol. I still wouldn't pay more than 15K at most for it if current market prices are disregarded.

1637653133642.png

Umm... okay but still it's like having 12GB of VRAM on 3060. The GPU doesn't have the core power to drive it. It's not like it's a 1440p GPU. So 8GB is only good for maybe minecraft mods and mining lol. I still wouldn't pay more than 15K at most for it if current market prices are disregarded.

View attachment 120628
I agree with everything you've stated; however, not sure what the point of suggesting a price under the proviso of 'if current market prices are disregarded' is. The market exists, and is what it is currently. My opinion was that OP at least cover what his friend originally paid for his GPU as it will likely go for much more in the open market. That's a fair compromise as OP doesn't have to pay exorbitantly high prices and his friend at least breaks even. The GPU is allegedly in mint condition, which further underlines my point. Of course, OP's friend can decide to sell it for under what he paid for it, but I speak as a neutral observer, not as a friend. The 13-14k estimates are absurd and not tethered to the ground reality imo.

because he won't charge a bomb and will accept a fair price (not considering the current GPU pricing trend)

not sure what the point of suggesting a price under the proviso of 'if current market prices are disregarded' is
Here's what OP wanted and that's why some of us are suggesting prices as per age and depreciation. Of course everyone is aware of the current market and as per that there's no price limits. It's whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it, depends on desperation.

I agree with everything you've stated; however, not sure what the point of suggesting a price under the proviso of 'if current market prices are disregarded' is. The market exists, and is what it is currently. My opinion was that OP at least cover what his friend originally paid for his GPU as it will likely go for much more in the open market. That's a fair compromise as OP doesn't have to pay exorbitantly high prices and his friend at least breaks even. The GPU is allegedly in mint condition, which further underlines my point. Of course, OP's friend can decide to sell it for under what he paid for it, but I speak as a neutral observer, not as a friend. The 13-14k estimates are absurd and not tethered to the ground reality imo.
My friend isn't looking to turn a profit so I know he won't consider what he could ideally make from it. He's also in the middle of a intercontinental job-shift so he's not really keen on finding a buyer and jumping through the necessary hoops for selling, these are the primary reasons I'm buying the GPU from him in the first place. TBH he wouldn't even feel comfortable charging me the same as he paid for it because he has used it for a little under a year. But I appreciate you chiming in, I should've been more clear in my original post.

After reading the replies here I think I can offer ~15k for it.

Back