Android How to charge deep-discharged phone at home?

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I have the legendary Sony Xperia Z3 phone in top notch condition.

Last year, I charged it to some 85-88% and kept it in the box and the box had other stuff as well like a pouch, phone covers etc. and the box was almost full.

This week, while searching for something I opened the box and thought about checking the phone and to my surprise the upon powering on immediately it showed a red low battery 4% level indication and the phone either shutoffs or reboots and the loop continues.

Upon inspection I found that when the phone was stored in the box, its power button might have been tightly pressed with the phone covers and so the issue.

I tried to charge the phone with the original Sony charger with my fast mi charger and what not but it refuses to charge as nothing appears on the screen saying charging but the phone keeps boot-looping or doesn't turn on.

I even left it charging overnight but 0% luck.

Now the main query..seems the phone has undergone a deep-discharge during this period so how to bring it back to life at home.

You will have to find a way to directly charge the battery. I remember long back we had this universal charger thing, where we put in the battery directly and it charges it.
Since your phone doesn't have removable battery best bet is to take it some mobile repair shop they should have some tools to start the circuit again.

put it in the off state (if you can) and keep the phone plugged in for a day. If it boots up goes to home screen put it in the airplane mode.
Tried already for straight 4 days. No luck.

YT suggested to remove the battery and charge it externally. ANd this isnt possible at home but to give it to a repairing shop.

Have you ttried 500ma or 1 amp charger? If not then give it a try. I have seen phones recovering from deep discharged battery using slow charger. You have to leave 3-4 hours max. Otherwise friendly neighbourhood phone repair shop is your best option.

Have you ttried 500ma or 1 amp charger? If not then give it a try. I have seen phones recovering from deep discharged battery using slow charger. You have to leave 3-4 hours max. Otherwise friendly neighbourhood phone repair shop is your best option.
As mentioned, I tried slowest chargers, stock sony and fast chargers from samsung. Left phone for overnight charging still no luck.
Saw a YT video where the deep-discharged needs a jump-start just like a car and then its all good.

As mentioned, I tried slowest chargers, stock sony and fast chargers from samsung. Left phone for overnight charging still no luck.
Saw a YT video where the deep-discharged needs a jump-start just like a car and then its all good.
Leaving battery drained for too long degrades it:(
might need replacement

You need to kick-start it....give 5V for 10 - 30 secs. with some less current power supply and use any charger, it will charge then!!

Kick-start is done with a high-powered charger/current and not low powered.
Did u use li-on charger ? if so smart charger will ignore to spike for terminal with voltage < storage voltage!! am asking to try with raw 5V DC from power supply( with right +ve & -ve match)
(If you dont have experience in DIY, please dont do.)

Did u use li-on charger ? if so smart charger will ignore to spike for terminal with voltage < storage voltage!! am asking to try with raw 5V DC from power supply( with right +ve & -ve match)
(If you dont have experience in DIY, please dont do.)
I dont want to open the phone as its sealed nor I have such tools. Nor want to invest heavily in it as its a 7yr old phone, just its in a very mint condition wanted to make it come to life again. Might give it to a local rep[air shop next month or so. But I fear they might F it as they did to one of my N series phones back then and I had to sue them.

Kick-start is done with a high-powered charger/current and not low powered.
For a Li-ion /Li-Po thats deep discharged, all you need is 4.2V ideally (5V will also do)
The initial charging picked by the BMS will be at extremely low current so you do not need a high current power supply at all.

Those old metal connector batteries could be revived simply by holding wires against the metal prongs hooked to 3 AA batteries in series .
The sealed ones typically come with a JST connector so you will either need to peel the plastic or use thin prongs to make contact with the JST connectors.

if you can manage to carefully align and push a few strands of a regular copper wire into the connector , that will also do

A 1-2 min trickle charger this way should be hopefully enough to get the battery ready to accept charge through the phone board - unless the battery is well and truly dead.

You do not need any tools for this tbh - just a bit of patience

Back