Laptops How to connect laptop to a PC

Kneo

Adept
Jun 27, 2006
I would be getting a IBM laptop from my office soon. I need to know what is the quickest (in terms of time i.e. less hassles) and the most efficient (in terms of copy speeds between the two boxes) way to connect the laptop to my Home PC.

I may need to sync the mails and maybe a work folder and copy some other data.

vivtho

Disciple
Jan 11, 2007
Kneo said:
I would be getting a IBM laptop from my office soon. I need to know what is the quickest (in terms of time i.e. less hassles) and the most efficient (in terms of copy speeds between the two boxes) way to connect the laptop to my Home PC.

I may need to sync the mails and maybe a work folder and copy some other data.

The best way with the least hassles is to install a wireless card on the desktop (assuming it does not already have one). You can then copy files to and from the desktop to the laptop.

The cheapest way is to buy a network cable and connect the two pcs. I believe it is called a 'crossover cable' (but I could be mistaken). This looks like a regular ethernet cable, but the wires are connected differently. You can make it yourself or get it made. Total cost approx Rs. 100.

Hope this helped.

ethanhunt123

Disciple
Jul 26, 2007
Syncing mails ? How are you going to do it ? By copying Outlook mailbox ? If thats the case, simply get a USB key. Otherwise a crossover cable.

Kneo

Adept
Jun 27, 2006
Thanks guys. Will definitely try the crossover cable. I guess Ank1t is also referring to the same.

TheIndian

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Mumbai
Ank1t said:
Get a ethernet cable. Put in manual ip addresses on both the laptop and the pc, make sure they'r on the same work group and your set.

to share data, share a partition in both the computers.
Generall this works, but not always, and for some reason its a hassle with notebooks, and make sure u can roll back in case u decide to install norton.

Poga

Disciple
Sep 13, 2007
New Bombay
i think 100 is too much for a crossover cable...i paid 40 bux for a cat 6 crossover...get cat 6 ...better speeds i suppose provided your ports support

Ank1t

Skilled
Jun 25, 2006
Bangalore
www.iservice.co.in
^ no point as your HDDs will be the bottleneck ;) And you will also have to have gigabyte ethernet ports on both the computers.

You dont really NEED a crossover cable these days.. I set up a lan with normal CAT 5 ethernet cables.

TheIndian

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Mumbai
Nimit said:
i think 100 is too much for a crossover cable...i paid 40 bux for a cat 6 crossover...get cat 6 ...better speeds i suppose provided your ports support
Where do you get good quality crimped cables - especially with molded ends ?